Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey Guys!!

Okay I was just wondering your not suppose to go to a tanning bed if you have acne or are on certain medications right? Like what's the circumstances because I thought if you had acne you shouldn't go to a tanning bed or does it help? I have body and face acne so idk I was just wondering. And aren't you suppose to stay out of the sun 2 or am I wrong with that one?? Thanks SO Much!! And please respond.

Franny

I know that tanning is very bad, and I don't reccommend that anyone else do it, but I've found that it works wonders for my acne. I have pretty bad acne on my back, chest and shoulders and I've found that it is the only thing that clears me up well enough that I'm able to wear tank tops, etc. in the summer. Last year I was even able to wear a bikini for the first time since I was a kid.

I know that I'm taking a big risk of developing skin cancer later on, but I spent many, many summers in shirts that completely covered my back/chest, and just for a couple of summers I'd like to be able to dress like everyone else, without being self-concious. I usually go to the tanning beds a couple of times a week in the summer and it seems to do the trick.

I'm not on any medications though... and that is important because you can't expose yourself to the sun or tanning beds when you are on most acne medications.

I have found that tanning works amazingly on my acne...

First in High school when I had horrible, painful acne on my back (it cleared up after going tanning).

And now, for my face. Its clearing up a whole lot since I started tanning again.

I would suggest not putting the tanning lotion on your face though. I go without any.. but if you need it find some facial lotion with SPF in it. I havent burned on my face at all.

And be sure that you dont stay in there too long. The place I go to now made me fill out a questionaire thingy about my skin to figure out how long I should be in there. As time goes on you will be able to go longer. I started at 2 and now I am at 6 minutes..

Tannning does have its risks, so make sure you find out about them and then make a decision. and be careful!

Tanning doesn't make acne go away, it just hides the marks from making your skin darker and bringing out the melanoma.

Of course, I still have tried tanning and so far it's still worked the best for me. Hahahaha, maybe I should just go back to doing that, I'll only care if I look gross when I'm older if I'm still single, and I'll be single forever if I look this ugly the rest of my life! (Haha that was a good one)

I have pretty bad acne on my back, chest and shoulders and I've found that it is the only thing that clears me up well enough that I'm able to wear tank tops, etc. in the summer. Last year I was even able to wear a bikini for the first time since I was a kid.

I don't mean to promote tanning since most of us know how truely bad it is for our skin. However, if one must tan, put a towel over your face since this way your face will be covered and since the face normally sees the sun much more than the rest of our bodies, it doesn't seem so bad. This way you can work on your breakouts on your face and still wear tank tops. Do not fry your face to stop blemishes since there are so many other alternatives and also you can camoflage most spots with makeup. I stopped tanning my face in my early to mid twenties and I am very glad I did. I now see women my age and some seem to have aged more in the face. Still, don't over-do it but probably a few tanning sessions (with your face covered) should be ok.

I would have to agree with Ravina and Laurentx. While I am not recommending that anyone else do as I do, tanning seems to work well for me. Not only does it help to clear acne by ever-so-slightly drying and peeling (this is actually a microscopic drying and peeling effect, as long as you moisturize very well, otherwise, your skin will peel like it does after being burned), but the color you get helps to hide red marks from both active acne and old, healing spots. But, I cannot stress enough that moisturizing is ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL, otherwise you will dry and age your skin very quickly. The lotions they sell for indoor tanning work very well for moisturizing, especially anything with hemp seed oil, but you have to remember that after you shower and wash off all the tanning lotion, you have to moisturize again... this is very important, and it keeps your skin soft and healthy. Also, it keeps your body from over-producing oils which in turn break you out. The dryer your skin gets, the more your body will work overtime to produce more oil to rehydrate itself. So if you keep your skin properly moisturized, well, you get the idea.

Okay but none of u guys are taking acne medication right prescribed by ur doctor? And it seems that ur acne isn't as bad as mine. Like when u take prescriptions you have 2 stay out of the sun right? Thanks SO much 4 ur replies!! Keep em coming!! Byez

Franny G!

Hey Guys!!

Okay I was just wondering your not suppose to go to a tanning bed if you have acne or are on certain medications right? Like what's the circumstances because I thought if you had acne you shouldn't go to a tanning bed or does it help? I have body and face acne so idk I was just wondering. And aren't you suppose to stay out of the sun 2 or am I wrong with that one?? Thanks SO Much!! And please respond.

Franny

The sun and artificial tanning always stopped my back acne in its tracks. But I'm 29 now, and I stopped going to the tanning bed completely about 5 years ago. Nevertheless, your message sounds like me talking. I always worked hard on my figure, lifting weights, etc. and I loved the shape of my arms and back but could never wear anything that showed my back or arms without worrying about acne. I'd say if you're going to tan, definitely cover your face, don't go all year long, and don't stay in long at all at first (don't let yourself get burned). I can't promote tanning because it is bad for you. My derm says I am free of skin cancer, but who knows 10 years from now? I was a lifeguard too, so I got lots of damage in the real sun.

Try Phisoderm acne body wash. It's salycic acid wash, and it dries up my back acne pretty well. I'm on Dan's regimen for my face, but have found that my back can handle medicated washes.

yeahyeahyeah...tanning is bad for you. Okay, that's out of the way.

Every spring I buy a package of 10 sessions. I go about once every 7-10 days and use a bronzing bed for 10 minutes. The difference between bronzing beds and regular beds is that you don't burn in the bronzing beds. You also don't stay in them for as long. I put the lotion on my face, but very lightly. I try to shower as soon as possible afterwards. It really does help dry up my pimples. I don't avoid the sun either. I do use sunscreen, but the sun still manages to get through, give me a tan and clear my face.

Okay but none of u guys are taking acne medication right prescribed by ur doctor? And it seems that ur acne isn't as bad as mine. Like when u take prescriptions you have 2 stay out of the sun right? Thanks SO much 4 ur replies!! Keep em coming!! Byez

Franny G!

Actually, yes, I am taking Accutane, which suggests you should avoid UV rays. But, I diagree. It really has to do with how you react naturally to the sunlught. If you burn easily, dont tan on meds that increase sensitivity to sunlight or you will fry. Me, I tan very easily, and rarely burn, and Im still careful. But, being on Accutane just seems to make me tan faster. I dont have to stay in the sun/tanning bed as long to get darker, and it really does help to hide red marks and discoloration. Besides, working up a good base color now in an indoor facility is safer and will help protect your skin in the summer. A tan is your body's natural sunblock. The strength and amount of UV rays is regualted in tanning beds, but with natural sunlight you are exposed to a much broader spectrum of rays, which can be worse. Tanning safely indoors before the strong summer sun gets here, you are much less likely to burn when you are hanging out enjoying the weather outside in the middle of July. Come to think of it, Im off to go tan now! :D

I'm glad I found this thread :angel:

Because once I'm satisfied with my skin peels

which should be around the time spring ends

I'm definitely starting tanning.

I'm gonna be sooo tan :cool:

(Pacific Islander skin..sooo much melanin. or w.e. you call it) :lol:

Also, another tanning salon offers Omnilux facials,

so I'm considering trying those.

The one I want to go to has unlimited monthly for 40$

and an oxygen steam spa thingy :wub:

i wouldn't suggest tanning your face because it does help but when you stop i find it comes back worse

and you hyperpigmatation is worse.

i tan my body but again i use a towel over my face.

and i only go onceor twice a week for 7 minutes.

be careful please.

and while on accutane i was told its important to not tan.

I don't mean to promote tanning since most of us know how truely bad it is for our skin. However, if one must tan, put a towel over your face since this way your face will be covered and since the face normally sees the sun much more than the rest of our bodies, it doesn't seem so bad. This way you can work on your breakouts on your face and still wear tank tops. Do not fry your face to stop blemishes since there are so many other alternatives and also you can camoflage most spots with makeup. I stopped tanning my face in my early to mid twenties and I am very glad I did. I now see women my age and some seem to have aged more in the face. Still, don't over-do it but probably a few tanning sessions (with your face covered) should be ok.

Good tip, I ALWAYS put a towel over my face when I go tanning... even in standup, I tie my shirt around my face... it looks ridiculous but I would NEVER tan my face! I always use a self tanner for my face.

Okay I'm gona tell you everything I've figured out over the years about tanning and acne. lol

A little bit of sun (like 10 mintes/half an hour per day) of moderate (not like majorly STRONG sun unless your skin is designed for it) sun does wonders for you- it boosts the immune system and yeah it good for clearing up your skin. thats just a fact.

this is the reason that some people use sunbeds to clear up acne. however if its a 100% uva sunbed it won't do anything because its the uvb which clears up the acne. so don't go wasting your money on the wrong kinda sunbed if you decide to do it (and i don't personally recomend it as a regular thing by the way) its also the uvb which penetrates deeper into your skin and causes more damage and more ageing.

HOWEVER........ *too much* sun for too long, and your skin won't be able to cope. it becomes burnt, fragile, sore, etc.... and if the irritation gets just too much..the skin BREAKS OUT MORE.. so we have to keep the sun exposure gentle and consistent. a little sun is good for you.. too much, is going to fry your skin and lead to more problems. healthy skin is the aim of the game... not clear skin that's only clear caus every drop of oil in it's been fried to death

Here's the thing. Acne medications make your skin alot more sensitive, alot more prone to burn (or tan, whichever way you go) and generally aim to speed up your cell renewal rate, so you're now exposing newer, younger cells to the uvb rays... which is going to speed up and accelerate the damage that those rays cause. this damage may or may not cause acne immediately, but the ageing damage will not be visible for years- this is why if you go in the sun when you have acne, it is more important that you use sun protection, to be on the safe side, and to also to prevent breaking out

the answer is..... yes the sunbeds or the unprotected sun exposure will work for clearing your skin but at the expense of damaging your skin...and all the other possible risks. i honestly believe a bit of sun each day is good for you but i prefer to get it from just going outside. good luck i hope i helped you to understand :)

When my skin first cleared up, i went on sunbeds for about 4-5 weeks. It didn't give me spots or anything, but i stopped because i started getting freckles on my face.

So it didn't give me any problems, acne wise.

I haven't used one since.

St Tropez out the bottle is the way to go i reckon =]

Guest MarifreakinA

I'm pretty sure if you're on a prescription medication for acne you don't have to stay out of the sun, however, most topicals, retinols, pills make your skin sensitive and prone to sunburn which damages the skin. If you put an SPF of maybe 15-30 you should be fine, you don't have to do it every time you go out in the sun, just when you know you're going to be out there for more than a half hour. For instance, when I was playing field hockey, I was taking minocycline pills for my chest, I had to put an SPF on because of the fact that I spent about 4 hours in the sun everyday.

I recommend a moisturizer with an SPF in it, just so when you wake up in the morning and put your moisturizer on after washing, you know it will be protecting your face while you're out in the day, especially because it's summer.

I actually just started going tanning and usually tanning makes my acne better. I'm not promoting fake tanning, but a couple times a week for maybe a month (is what I'm doing) really shouldn't be too bad. Just make sure your skin is protected because it will burn!

Hope this was helpful, you don't have to be afraid of the sun, but it's like sex, just stay protected.

I dont think tanning cures acne or makes it go away but it certainly makes my back acne less visible. If im planning on a big night out n i wana wear a nice dress or top (i have back acne) i use the sun beds every day for about 3 weeks beforehand and it realy makes a difference. If i had the time and money i would use them every day ... realy gives me confidence ... and everyone loves a tan!!!!!