Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ronald Ineo

Confessions of a Roaccutane user

i'll start by saying what a great forum this is, its nice to know i'm not the only one living the 'mare. Anyway...

"Previously, on My Skin"

Acne first reared its head in about 1998/1999 when i was about 13/14, i didn't really care about it until i was 17 and started to see the rewards of taking care of my appearance. To cut a long story short, the last 4 years have been a near constant supply of anti-biotics. You name it, I've tried it. Whilst some (minocyclin) were very effective in the short term, the acne always comes back, and when it does its angry. I had my 1st appointment with the derm on Tuesday and he's put me on 20mg one day, 40mg the next, sooooo.........

DAY TWO

This whole 1 tablet one day 2 the next seems wierd to me but its what the prescription says so I'm going with it. My skin is the same as it was before 'R-Day', no real signs of improvement, no real signs of an initial breakout. The Doctor always used to tell me that the Anti-Biotics might make things worse before they got better, but this never happened, so I'm hoping i may be one of the lucky ones who avoid the dreaded IB! I'm still scared though, i need a pillow. I don't think my skin is any drier than before, its certainly not causing any discomfort. Besides, any effects seen at this early stage will be purely psycological i would of thought.

In a word: NERVOUS

DAY FOUR

After a somewhat eerie first few days of calm, the action is starting to happen. I have a fair few small whiteheads cropping up all over my face, and a bigger spot on my forehead and another on the side of my nose. Its no worse than any other breakout though, there's just an unusual number of whiteheads. I don't know whether this is the roaccutane or just the acne taking its free kick now i'm off the anti biotics. I really hope its the roaccutane but i think it may be a little early yet. No side effects yet, i've been using moisturiser twice a day as i always do and of course drinking loads of water.

In a word: HOPEFULL

hey there. i will have the same system - 20 mg a day, then 40 next day. i started from 20mg a day, and after a week there was no breakout at all, of course i cant call 2 tiny whiteheads a breakout....good luck

DAY FIVE

Loads of whiteheads on my chin this morning, and on my nose and on my forehead. Not good at all. My skin feels like it might be getting dryer and it packs an awful itch. Not looking forward to work again tomorrow after a weekend of hiding but hey, no pain no gain. Anyone know if you're allowed to take anti biotics at the same time as roaccutane? I've still got a few doxycycline left from my last prescription which i can take.

On a seperate note, its tipping it down with snow here in Leicester, England which is a bit odd, its supposed to be spring ffs! I don't like snow, it serves no useful purpose at all all it does is make everyone cold and wet and all you can here is "oooooh i got frostbite me, oooooh look how blue my fingers have gone". :snooty: feckin idiots

In A Word: ITCHY

hey there. i will have the same system - 20 mg a day, then 40 next day. i started from 20mg a day, and after a week there was no breakout at all, of course i cant call 2 tiny whiteheads a breakout....good luck

To a snowy Ronald from England from a sunny M from South Africa...

Welcome to the forums. Great to know your'e embarking on an accutane journey, don't you feel so much more confidant already? I wish you the best.

DAY SIX

Whiteheads on my chin have multiplied and are spreading upwards onto my nose and forehead. Bigger spot on the side of my nose is now MASSIVE, its really awful. This is the worst breakout i've had for at least 3 years, infact i don't know if i can remember my skin ever being this bad.

Its funny cus i almost had it under control with doxycycline and regular sunbed trips, i thought roaccutane was gonna come and put the final nail in the coffin but instead all hell has broken loose.

I took plenty of stick about it from friends at work today, they were only messing about and i just smiled and rolled with the punches but deep down in a place they'll never see, every one of their jokes destroyed a small piece of my soul.

A small but rapidly expanding part of me is beginning to form some serious doubts about the effectiveness of this drug but luckily, elsewhere, a bigger part of me is saying "come on son, just get through this, good times are just around the corner". Its not difficult to see why people get depressed on this stuff, the image that i saw in the mirror at 5 30 this morning was the most depressing thing i have ever seen.

My skin is starting to get dry, which i'm taking as a good sign, although it feels like shit. When will i see improvement!!?

In A Word: DEPRESSING

I wouldn't take the antibiotics. I know minocycline and accutane clash wicked.

Hey Ronald...

You feel like I did this past week-end. It was one of the worst breakout times for me too and worse is that I was so depressed about it, even cancelled our night out on the town. But what you're experiencing is normal. Didn't your Derm tell you you'd probably have an initial breakout? I also had an IB in the first week of taking tane. So don't stress too much, it's not worth it. I know it's easier said than done because I'm the worst stresser. I know exactly where you are coming from. It WILL get better - guaranteed.

Chin up young man - and post again soon. :razz:

Have a fine day

DAY SEVEN

woohoo! 1 week down! :) I feel a bit embarresed reading my last post back, i should really stop feeling sorry for myself. From today taking inspiration from Corrine_1980 and CanadianMatts logs i am adopting a much more positive attitude. Which is easier said than done. I am planning a one year round the world adventure due to start in November MY ACNE WILL BE CLEAR BY THEN!!! I'll be lying on a secret beach somewhere with no acne and not a care in the world in just 7 months time! :D

Today the breakout continues, its still the small whiteheads. my cysts are fading which is brilliant but there's just sooooo many whiteheads. They seem to be leaving one particular area of my chin now which must be a good sign, leaving it dry and flaky and horrible. Unfortunately they are now attacking around the right side of my mouth, i counted 12 this morning in an area no more than 3cm squared. I'm humouring myself by imagining they're attacking each part of my face one by one and once they've done enough damage they'll move on and never return, i hope its true! :)

I got a promotion at work today yay!!!!!!!! well they called it a promotion but its extra work for no extra pay, seems like a bit of a con to me :) Plus it means talking to more people face to face which i hate right now but i don't care because i'll be gone in 7 months :)

Hey Ronald...

You feel like I did this past week-end. It was one of the worst breakout times for me too and worse is that I was so depressed about it, even cancelled our night out on the town. But what you're experiencing is normal. Didn't your Derm tell you you'd probably have an initial breakout? I also had an IB in the first week of taking tane. So don't stress too much, it's not worth it. I know it's easier said than done because I'm the worst stresser. I know exactly where you are coming from. It WILL get better - guaranteed.

Chin up young man - and post again soon. :razz:

Have a fine day

DAY TEN

The breakout was so painful on Day 8 i decided to take a couple of days of work so i could sit around munching nurofen and being generally unhappy but most importantly not pick the whiteheads! Great decision! They began to dry up very quickly and eventually just fall off almost as a scab, over Day 8 and 9 new ones became less frequent and the old ones just dried up.

This morning i only had about 6 or 7 whiteheads compared to at least 30/40 each morning (no exagerration!) between day 3 and 8. My skin has improved drastically over the last 2 days :D Its still worse than it was pre-tane but if the IB took me 150 steps back then the last 2 days have brought me 120 steps forward! Everyone reading this knows how brilliant progress feels, i'm on a high right now :D

If this progress continues i'll be clear in a week but............. today, slowly but surely 3 cysts are developing on my forehead. really big ones.......... i hope this isn't IB part II, i hope it isn't. I don't think it is, i hope it isn't, i don't think it is, i hope it isn't, i hope it isn't.

In A Word: (very) ENCOURAGING

You will probably be done with the breakout very soon! Good luck! And big congrats on the quasi-promotion! :)

DAY 14

Well IB part II it most certainly is, but its not as intense as part I. First day back at work after 6 days off, i got a few comments including "whats going on with all your spots, is it the heat?" and the no holds barred "blimey, whats happened to your face!!??". lol :D

My forehead is quite bad with 4 big spots hanging around, the whiteheads have dissapeared now leaving the dry flakyness we all know and love. My cheeks are starting to see the action now, there's about 6 medium sized red spots on the right and 3 or 4 on the left. My cheeks are the last place to break out since starting tane so hopefully once they've gone through the motions i'll be on the road to recovery.

Side effects: Lips are really dry, i have to carry vaseline around with me everywhere. My skin is very dry and my nose is peeling. My face felt very very sensitive to the sunlight yesterday.

till next time, adios :hand:

DAY 18

The 15th day saw IB part II peaking with all sorts of nastiness on my cheeks and forehead, certainly not as bad as part I but still reeeeeaaaaally bad. However, improvement followed quickly and efficiently...i'm now back at the same stage as on Day 10 only this time there is no signs of new spots :D

I'm not gonna get carried away but things really are looking good :) confidence returning etc. Blackheads are still there, when do they start to come out??

Still got dry lips of course, and dry skin...i'm used to it now though so its all good :) no rashes, no nosebleeds, no depression.

In A Word: PLEASING

DAY 23

Not a great deal going on :) only 5 or 6 small spots have surfaced recently which is very easy to deal with. Bigger spots on my forehead are taking ages to fade, thats if they are fading, they seem to be just hanging around. Blackheads are still there too but never mind.

My skins still very dry, nose is contiuously peeling. Lips dry out, crack then go back to normal in a 4 day cycle. No other side effects to report :)

DAY 27

One rather large spot on my left cheek and a smaller one on my forehead are the only new ones to report. The old ones hanging around my forehead have faded quite a bit, although they're still visible. Apart from that my skin has recovered from the initial breakout and there are now large areas of clearness :) hooray for roaccutane :clap::dance: very very happy about this :D

Side Effects: chapped lips always a problem, now constantly dry and peeling. dry skin. also...

depression...because of wayne rooneys metatarsal :cry::cry::cry: gutted, praying that he'll be back in time for the QFs

DAY 29

Four weeks have passed, it really does go fast :D

Nowt much to report, old left cheek and forehead spots are dying and drying. There's one new spot on my forehead, and a couple what i would call imperfections... nothing to worry about. Usually a quick blast of the sunbed or some summer sunshine (25 degrees in UK tomorrow woooot!) would burn them straight off, but i can really feel that my skin is super-sensitive to the sunlight... oh it burns... but its a small price to pay :)

Usual side effects, dryness of skin and lips. Apart from that its plain sailing :D

DAY 40

Just a few imperfections cropping up every now and again, apart from my forehead where the slow motion spots still reside. There's 2 that have been there for 3 weeks which are almost gone, and one which has been there for 2 weeks which peaked this passed week, and is now dying. They are taking soooo long to fade.

Overall delighted with how things are going, apart from the one spot on my forehead you would have to look closely to see that i am an acne sufferer. Really good levels of clearness now :D Blacheads are less visible, i think they might be gone but i'm not sure. I didn't notice them actually falling out like some people report.

Had a wierd breakout of loads of small red marks on the top of my right arm, lasted about 4 days. I think it was the sun and lack of moisteriser on my arms... when i'm driving its my right arm that gets hit by the sun, and it cleared up as soon as i started moisturising there.

Side Effects: Almost constantly in a good mood :cry: i miss being miserable in a wierd way. Talking to people without worry, making eye contact, smiling being friendly and even cracking jokes with complete strangers :cry: its getting beyond a joke, i'm in danger of making new friends and its quite scary...

but seriously... slight skin redness which could be sunburn. dry skin easily fixed with moisturiser. lips have calmed right down now but still applying vaseline lip therapy fairly regularly. Excercising as intensely as ever with no extra aches or pains.

Taking Vitiman C, E and Zinc supplements everyday... does anyone know the maximum amount of Vit C you should take? I've just got some new tablets which are 1000mg each, don't know whether this is abit OTT.

Thats all from me for now seee ya

DAY 55

Good levels of clearness now, just a few red marks which aren't a problem. Got my 2nd derm appoitment tomorrow, i'm gonna ask for a higher dose then hopefully i'll only have 2 months left :) not that taking roaccuane is having much of a negative effect, it'll just be nice to be finished. One thing that is worrying me slightly is the rashes i'm getting on my arms, i think its eczema but i've never had eczema before. I've been using moisturiser on them but they just seem to be getting worse... small price to pay...

DAY 56

So i went to the derm and it seems i was correct, i have developed eczema on my arms due to the dryness caused by roaccutane, for this he has prescribed me Betnovate ointment which i am to apply every night. He was willing to up my dose from 30mg to 40mg untill he saw the eczema, he said the eczema suggests that my body is probably at the limit of how much roaccutane it can take. This was a dissapointment but he went on to say that because of the good progress i am making he is confident that i will be finished in 2 more months :D so not long to go now! Thanks for reading :)

DAY 71

Well i've had 2 new spots in the last two weeks, one on my forehead and one to the side of the eye. Thats it, just 2 spots. Roaccutane is awesome :D should have taken it a long time ago!

SIDEEEE's

The eczema completely cleared in about 3 or 4 days with the gel and hasn't returned, even though i have stopped applying the gel. Skin is not so dry these days, infact i think its just normal. But my lips are still dry, thats the only side effect really. I spent quite a long time in the sun at the weekend with no adverse effects, just a nice tan. Been training hard at the gym with no unusual aches or pains. Absolutely no signs of depression, why the hell would i be depressed!??

DAY 83

Nothing really to report. New spots are very rare. This is the best period of clearness i can remember, i now only hope that this is for good, and not just a temporary solution. I got very sunburned on my face 3 days ago, i was out in it for about 3 hours with no suncream which was a bit foolish. But now its turned a nice brown so its all good :) 5 weeks to go!! :D

DAY 93

One new small pointless spot on my forehead. Older spots on my forehead have formed scars, but they might not be scars, but they look like scars, i'll just have to wait and see.

Its about 4 weeks till my derm appointment and my skins as clear as i could imagine so i think then it will be all over. The one thing that worries me about this is that i will have been on only 30mg per day for only 4 months. So i guess the chances of a relapse are quite high. Still, i'll worry about that when the time comes.

Side Effects: Chapped lips, dry skin especially arms but no more eczema.

DAY 125

No new spots. Forehead still looks a bit messy, one day it looks smooth the next it looks scarred. There is still redness so i think once that is gone i may just be left with a few small scars which is ok by me.

So now its decision time, tomorow is my derm appointment and i'm pretty sure he'll let me make the call as to what to do next. I've been on 30mg daily for 4 months, I know this is quite a low dose so with that in mind these are the options that i've come up with:

a) Finish the treatment, see how long the clearness lasts and start a new course if and when acne returns. Go out and get drunk. Throw the lip stuff in the bin.

b) Carry on same dose for 2 more months.

c) Up the dose to maximum he'll allow for 1 more month.

d) Try a maintanance course, 1 pill per week or summat.

What would you do? I'm torn between A and C, i'd love to finish it all now and be done with it, but at the same time i'd rather make sure its not coming back. But there is no guarantee of that in any case. Please let me know your opinions :)