Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey ppl. Many of you probably know about all the problems caused by taking B5 daily but I just want to let you know what my doctor said to me today.

I've been on B5 (Calcium Pantothenic) for a week (20g a day) and didn't really notice any problems and my acne cleared up really well. I thought it was amazing and I felt great but 1 day I decided to go see the chemists. I told them about B5 and they rang down the poisions lab (or summink like that). Anyway, they told me that I should stop taking it immediately and when I told her how much I was taking a day she nearly fainted. She told me how the calcium dillutes the whites in my eyes and the long-term damage I was causing myself. I stopped taking them for a while.

Anyway, I decided to get a second opinion and made an appointment with my doctor. I told her how much I was taking a day and she told me that I was slowly killing my kidney and asked me 'did I want to be supported by a drip when I was 25?'. We were there for at least an hour discussing all the other solutions to my acne and she finally prescribed me some Eurythricin or Eyriticin (starts with 'e', ends with 'n')

I seriously recommend that everyone currently taking or thinking about taking B5 should check it out first because you don't know what damage you are causing yourself.

i agree here.. megadosing on anything is horrible for your liver and kidneys. water soluable or not, it still puts a huge tax on your excretory system.

:/

and i just ordered some...

oh well i'll risk it..hell i've taken accutane before i think i can take b5...b5 could not mess me up more than accutane did...

probably not, i think accutane is the devil, personally.. *hiss* (of course it's not always bad, i think it is worth the health risks and problems for some people)

Remember, doctors work for drug companies, they prescribe their products. They could lose their job or get a lawsuit if they recommend anything else but a drug. Again it is all about money.

Well, 20g is really the upper limit for dosing anyone is trying - most seems to be 10g or less. Maybe you can try that. I would be interested to hear more about these effects, since most of the informational pages and studies people quote have not shown these side effects with B5 megadosing. It seems like megadosing water-soluable vitamins like B5 is pretty safe in the short term, and not as well understood in the long term. I have read that a yearlong study of 2g B5 proved safe, but there haven't been studies with higher dosages.

Yeh the problem with B5 is that you need to take high dosages of it to see any results which is, apparently, very dangerous. I would recommend taking maybe 5-10g for 1 week and see if you suffer any problems. If not go ahead and take it for another week but don't go overboard in dosages and try to gradually reduce the amount you take.

Even if you don't sufer any probs it is important that you reduce the amount anyways because you don't know what long-term damage you are causing yourself... :-k

Peace :D:

Well, I think we can say high doses of B5 are not "very dangerous", in that serious short-term side effects have not been reported, and there are 100's (at least) of anecdotal reports of people taking them without serious consequences, not to mention it's listed as a very low toxicity substance. This doesn't mean it's completely safe, but it's safer than megadosing Vitamin A or Accutane. I wouldn't be too worried about short-term effects, but I agree that finding a lower maintenance dose is a good idea in the long run.

Did your B5 include Calcium? I'm guessing she wasn't refering to the B5, but the calcium that is included in the B5 that some companies do (due to the acidity of the B5 the calcium is nicely absorbed). B5 is not very dangerous. Infact it improves your health dramatically. What I would suggest is taking "Pure B5" that Acnemiracle offers because it doesn't include the Calcium that some companies often put in their formula. The fact that you are getting acne shows you are deficient in something.

Not extra calcium, but the regular d-calcium pantothenate has a little calcium in it. 5g/day, I forget what the % of calcium that translates to, but it wasn't excessive. I'm curious if the "pure" form gives anyone acidity problems? If my acne was a simple deficiency, it would not have gone away with B5 for a long time, and come back when I was still taking it. Arrgh! I wish it were so easy!

Did your B5 include Calcium? I'm guessing she wasn't refering to the B5, but the calcium that is included in the B5 that some companies do (due to the acidity of the B5 the calcium is nicely absorbed). B5 is not very dangerous. Infact it improves your health dramatically. What I would suggest is taking "Pure B5" that Acnemiracle offers because it doesn't include the Calcium that some companies often put in their formula. The fact that you are getting acne shows you are deficient in something.

uhh, how exactly does megadosing b5 dramitcally improve your health?

I have heard more positive feedback about B5 than negitive. And I have seen more positive research to it's effects. I just started taking 4g of it about four days ago and have yet to have any effects. I ran the idea by my doctor before I started and he said that he sees no reason why I shouldn't at least give it a try.