Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey gang. I have a quick question. Everytime I'm just about to get a new zit, the skin where the zit will be becomes extremely itchy. When I scratch it, a tiny red bump comes to the surface. Over the next couple of days, the bump gets itchier and itchier. Depending on if I scratch it or not and how much I touch it, it sometimes gets a head. Right now I have red marks on my face from these bumps--about 20 on my left cheek and about eight on my right cheek. I've been assuming they are zits, but the more people I talk to, it seems that a zit itching is not very common. I researched this a bit online and found out about something called pityrosporum folliculitis, which resembles acne but actually is a fungal condition caused by the overgrowth of yeast, the main symptom being that the bumps itch. I'm wondering if what I have isn't acne at all but rather folliculitis. I'm going to the dermatologist in a week to figure this out.

So, my question to you is: do your zits ever itch? Have you experienced similar symptoms to mine?

Thanks.

Yes, my skin was more itchy in general, an specifically where it was stretching and irritated because of a new zit.

I think that's bc of all the meidcations you are using..?? For me, when I was using Duac this happened all the time. Now, on CSR Gel and no moisturizer, I'm doing great.

Occasionally, yes, they did. I did notice too that whenever I would bother with it (or them), it/they would get worse (usually get bigger and end up taking foreverrr to go away).

my face [and skin in general] is itchy whether or not i have pimples. but it gets extra itchy in the spot where a pimple will pop up, and the pimple itself is like slightly itchy and sore at the same time often.

my face [and skin in general] is itchy whether or not i have pimples. but it gets extra itchy in the spot where a pimple will pop up, and the pimple itself is like slightly itchy and sore at the same time often.

Yeh my face get's really itchy - then again flakey and painful... My tip is don't itch as youll probably aggravte the itch and acne.. instead wear gloves like me and sit on your hands!!

I also have itchy acne(sometimes it so bad, they throb like when you bang your toe into something), which started within the past year. I haven't met anyone else I had this in common with.

About three years ago I started having pimples here and there, as time went on I would have them more frequently. I started using Proactiv, at first it really looked as though it was working but I was noticing the pimples whether popped or not where leaving a dark scare. (which never happened before) here I am past teenage years being insecure over pimples trying to find a solution and then ending up with scaring and discoloration to my face. I stopped using Proactiv. I visited a Spa to have my skin worked on. The first thing she said was please tell me you are not using Proactiv. I was shocked to find out how common it was for her to run into people who were having the same scarring problem. But now after 6 months without Proactive my face flares up mostly on the left cheek and around my mouth and chin area. I'm disgusted, I hate to say that. I just want what everyone else wants. Clear Skin. I've made an appointment with the dermatologist, finally.

sweetbliss, we sound like we have very similar problems! My acne is all on my cheeks, with just a little bit around my mouth and chin. When is your dermatologist appointment? Perhaps you should ask about this pityrosporum folliculitis and let us know how it goes! I'm 23 years old and have never had a problem with acne before in my life. And I used Proactiv for four years, with great results. It seems I was just prolonging the inevitable.

Yes, I know all too well what you mean. When I told my derm about the itchiness, he said it was from the meds. But I asked why it itched before I started the meds too. He, of course, just changed the subject.

I believe, that in my case, the itchiness is due to some kind of yeast/fungal infection. Salt has worked great to get rid of the itching because it kills the microbes. It is also great for bacteria.

I'm not sure what caused the itching in the first place- if it was an overuse of topical anti-biotics or a diet too high in sugar. I notice if I overdo the sugar now my itching will start again even with salt use.

Some people find that their acne is caused by a fungal infection rather than a bacterial one. Some have found results from using Nizoral shampoo for a face wash.

and i thoguth this only happened to me...at first i thought it might be b/c of a new pimple, so thats why im scared every time my face itches. I usually just use an unexposed part of my shirt (inside part) to scratch it.

Not sure if you heard of Demodex mites. I am on 3 months of using some products against these parasites, and my acne is getting better. Anyway, I used to have itchy face, but after using these products, it doesn't itch at all. Maybe check it out: www.demodexsolutions.com.

Cheers!

oh god yes. my face always itches around my breakouts. and you try not to scratch but it gets unbearable or your mind is somewhere else and you itch it anyways and ugh...it sucks.