Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
curiousz

QUICK QUESTION: Will doc's (non derms) prescribe antibiotics

It takes TOO LONG to get an appointment from a derm here. The derm in my insurance plan QUIT and there is no longer a derm.

I haven't been to a derm before, but I already know what I want. Oral and Topical antibiotics.

So can I just goto a regular doctor and get what I want?

I've been to a regular doc and he gave me doxycyclin and told me to go back in 2 weeks time to c if there is any improvement.

U can try to go to a doc too. The reason i go to a regular doc is that i hope he can refer me to a derm so that it will be cheaper than if i go directly to a derm.

So can I just goto a regular doctor and get what I want?

Yes, a regular doc can prescribe your acne drugs. The question is whether or not he will agree with you on what is the best drug for treating your acne.

A regular doctor can even prescribe accutane. But they don't have enough experiance in the field and probably wont prescribe it because of that.

But antibiotics should be fine and most doctors, if you tell them that this medication works for you will prescribe it (after taking precautions) and not argue with you.

Yes they will perscribe antibiotics, but they probably wont work : . They didnt work for me, but my Doctor DID perscribe Acutane for me. Never saw a dermatologist.