Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Matt J C

drinking alcohol on accutane

hey everyone. I work in a bar on saturday's so i have always had a drink or two. my doc said it was ok as long as i didn't drink a six pack in one sitting. i also take some vicodin for pains and i am afraid that it may be too much for my liver.... does anyone know how much is too much when it comes to acetaminophen??? (sometimes i think i take way too much but thats besides the point)

...i work real hard so i think i deserve to have a little fun.

peace

im a 21 year old male also from ireland and have had to stay off drink for 4 months while i was on accutane. i wasnt sure how i was going to cope with my mates going out every weekend on the rip and i couldnt tell them i was taking tablets for my skin. jus say your saving and sit in for a few weeks, then when thats getting old and they are questioning you go out and dont drink tell them you cant drink your taking tablets, they probs wont even ask what for and if they do make something up.

hope that helps, it worked for me and now im out drinking again and nobody is the wiser :dance:

<---also from ireland here i drink every weekend with my mates no side effects at all on month 5,4th course,blood tests fine no biggie!

yeah i been drinking on weekends (try to keep to either a fri or sat night) since i started in december i been ok!

but if you can handle not drinking then do that.

I have claravis 40 mg 30 pills per box. On the actual box itself it says do not drink alcoholic beverages while taking this medication. Also my infornation booklet from the pharmacy also says that it will increase your chance of developing pancreitis. I personally am refraining from alcohol. I had increased liver enzymes when I was taking minocycline for acne (which I took for a year, however). So thats something that worries me. I just started today with the claravis. If i have a good blood test than maybe ill slowly introduce alcohol back. But if my liver enzymes were already high I wouldn't mess with it.

My first course of accutane was 6 months long at up to 80mg at the high.

The first 3 months I didn't drink a drop.

The last 3 months, I drank heavily 2-3 nights per week. No issues ever showed up on my lab tests so I figure it was okay.

Second course I'm one month into.

Initial lab tests were fine. The first 2 or 3 weeks I didn't drink at all. Then the last week I drank twice heavily and once last night. Today I had my lab tests. They came back showing increased activity. My doctor was concerned and lowered my dosage.

I'm just hoping the lab tests came back bad because I drank last night and not because of long run effects. The evidence I've presented suggests that it's probably okay to drink on it but not before blood tests. Follow the tests and you'll be fine. Although hangovers are really terrible on accutane.

--------------------------------

I'm in a bad situation where in my life I only want to drink really until June. I'm a senior in college and a rugby player so I would like my last hurrah to be fun filled with alcohol involved. This is not dependency, I never drink when I'm away from college, so don't bring that issue up. However, I am also very prone to scarring from acne, I already have pretty severe scarring all over my body, so I don't want further breakouts to make it even worse. Thus the need for accutane. I guess I'm just relating my issue, there is no real answer. It sucks that I'm putting myself in this position, I'm just going to try to limit my drinking to the more important occasions and lighter than usual. However, I will not quit.

I woldnt worry about it, the latest Roche leaflette says nowt about not drinking. It might not be advised to get rat-arsed, but 2 beers on an evening shouldnt harm. So far, so good for me anyway.

I've been on Accutane for 11 days and I have not drank while on the medicine. I usually only drink once or twice a month. I'm taking 40 mg a day. I have my two-week check up blood test on Monday morning. Would it be ok for me to get drunk on Friday night? Thanks.

I haven't had any trouble with drinking on Accutane. I'm in my 5th month, I'm on a high dose (120mg/day) and I typically have beer or wine a few times a week - maybe 6-9 drinks total per week. Not every night, but definitely not abstaining! My liver function has always been great and hasn't changed at all during treatment. BUT if it did, I would stop or cut back immediately. I <3 my internal organs!

So I'd say go with what your body & monthly test results tell you, and if that's not possible then hold off on the accutane until you've got your situation under control. I come from a long line of drinkers, I feel for ya. Good luck! :)

P.S. - I agree with MG86 - Accutane hangovers are the worst!

Hey, I have been on acutane claravis 20mg for a week now and i'm not a big drinker during the week but on the weekends just one night on the weekend my friends and i drink and usually its 5 to 7 beers a night. I was wodering if that was ok. Also my friends and i are going to go skiing in 2 months which means a lot of drinking probably 7 to 8 beers but this trip is only 2 days long and were drinking at night. I was wondering if that would have a bad affect on anything.

Hi everyone, I am just starting Accutane (actually picking up my pills tomorrow), but my dermatologist told me nothing about the risks of taking alcohol with it. I have planned a trip to Vegas in a month (which means lots of drinking), and then the weekend before that is my birthday party, where I am sure lots of people will buy me drinks. I am really worried now, but I am not sure what I can do about it.

Just wanted to add this. Where did you guys find this information that says not to drink while on Accutane? I just read through my iPledge book, and the papers that came with my Accutane and nowhere in either did it say not to drink.

?

i am on the generic version on accutane and it says very clearly not to drink, though it doesnt say why...