Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Matt J C

drinking alcohol on accutane

anyone have a problem this? i know its not encouraged but prior to starting accutane i had got myself into a big problem with alcohol because i was depressed from how bad i looked. and although my skin has cleared up an amazing amount, its still not perfect, but its definitely 100% better, i still get urges for alcohol, what should i do/??? :rolleyes:

If you can stand it, you should abstain. Accutane is a big stress on the liver and the reason for all those blood tests, and as i'm sure you know, alcohol damages the liver over time. If you must, then remember moderation. Don't drink every day, don't binge drink, etc. Don't drink within 72 hours of a bloodtest or it can cause elevated trigylcerides which can concern your doctor enough to pull your med or reduce the dose.

The real issue here of course is that you sound like you were heading for alcohol dependency which is a real problem. I can relate, i went through the same thing before i started this course - my liver enzymes were quite elevated when my derm took my baseline bloodwork and i had to completely quit to let my liver heal up before i could start one month later. I completely abstained for months, and it made me feel much better, both physically and emotionally. At this point my liver enzymes have really stabilized and i have an occasional drink, no more than 2 a week. I also make sure that i never, ever, drink to calm myself after a bad day - that's how you get in the habit of using alcohol to cope with your life. If i have a drink, it's to celebrate a good day.

So, what should you do when you get the urge to drink but you know you really shouldn't? Have some hot tea. It sounds hokey, but it works. Something about the ritual of making it is very calming and can easily fill the void left by your ritual of drinking alcohol.

So, what should you do when you get the urge to drink but you know you really shouldn't?

Another thing that might help, if you can and as morbid as it sounds-- go an visit a transplant floor at a hospital.

You'd be surprised what watching someone die from liver failure will do for one's alcohol cravings.

steam is supposed to help open up the pores.

look into liver tablets. Bodybuilders use them to protect their livers while using steroids.

steam is supposed to help open up the pores.

look into liver tablets. Bodybuilders use them to protect their livers while using steroids.

That is made for steriods. I doubt very much it will protect from alcohol.

So, what should you do when you get the urge to drink but you know you really shouldn't?

Another thing that might help, if you can and as morbid as it sounds-- go an visit a transplant floor at a hospital.

You'd be surprised what watching someone die from liver failure will do for one's alcohol cravings.

great adivce! :clap:

same thing my mother would advise me when i said i wanted to get a motorbike

Last Friday, I drank for the first time since starting accutane 3 months ago, and for the first time in the past two months I've gotten a breakout on my face. I'm just glad that most are around and under my chin/neck. Also I did not drink much, only 2 beers, which is very little compared to what I used to before I started accutane

great adivce! :clap:

same thing my mother would advise me when i said i wanted to get a motorbike

And you bought a motorbike I hope?

When you get the urge just drink water instead, that way you still have a bottle in your hand and are drinking something. Its like lollipops and cigarettes.

Just wanted to add this. Where did you guys find this information that says not to drink while on Accutane? I just read through my iPledge book, and the papers that came with my Accutane and nowhere in either did it say not to drink.

?

in the papers that come with your perscription

What brand and dosage do you have? I have Claravis, and 10mg pills. And NOWHERE in the paper that came with the prescription did it mention that. Do you think the brand/dosage makes a difference?

I have Accutane made by Roche, and when I was given both the 20mg and 40mg RX, in the bag was a Patient Information Leaflet, which says within it "DO NOT DRINK ALCOHOL while you are taking this medicine as it may worsen side effects or increase the risk of pancreatitis."

I don't think the brand/dosage should make a differnce, since it is the same drug. Having one beer isn't gonna kill you, but I wouldn't go out binge drinking or getting drunk every night, I think that's more what they mean.

I have Accutane made by Roche, and when I was given both the 20mg and 40mg RX, in the bag was a Patient Information Leaflet, which says within it "DO NOT DRINK ALCOHOL while you are taking this medicine as it may worsen side effects or increase the risk of pancreatitis."

I don't think the brand/dosage should make a differnce, since it is the same drug. Having one beer isn't gonna kill you, but I wouldn't go out binge drinking or getting drunk every night, I think that's more what they mean.

Good point. Me and the group of friends I'm in are having a little end of school party so I'd like to drink. I'm not going to start getting drunk every weekend, but I think it's safe maybe this one time. I mean, technically I'm off Accutane in a few days - only a few pills left!

Im from ireland. and it is very hard not to drink here. My friends know straight away that something is up when i dont drink. Its summer now, im on bactrim , i cant drink. But summer is when we drink the most.

JOB = MONEY = DRINK.

I will probabily lose my friends because of this. I would go out but i dont know what im going to say when they start asking the questions( im not a very good lier). So i will be forced to stay in.. :cry:

Im from ireland. and it is very hard not to drink here. My friends know straight away that something is up when i dont drink. Its summer now, im on bactrim , i cant drink. But summer is when we drink the most.

JOB = MONEY = DRINK.

I will probabily lose my friends because of this. I would go out but i dont know what im going to say when they start asking the questions( im not a very good lier). So i will be forced to stay in.. :cry:

you can drink on tane my derm said its ok

To be safe, I haven't touched a drop of alcohol since I started. One time I started to drink a beer, but I decided against it. :D

At first I thought I would just drink and not even worry about it. But.....going back to college after my IB and feeling the side affects I don't plan on drinking. This will suck big time b/c it's drinking to be social and yea we do get drunk but I don't feel like it's a very smart for me to do. I just want to get this damn thing over and be clear ASAP and not breakout at all. It only hurts my self-esteem when I do.

It may not seem like the worst idea but being on 80mg a day I don't plan on doing it.

Oh and I would say I drank 3-4 times a week before and got hammered 3 of those times usually, so this is a HUGE change.

I have a question for you guys...spring break is coming up, Apr 5th through the 11th or so. No doubt there will be alcohol and no doubt i would like to drink some, but i will be holding back as much as possible. I already increased my liver enzyme levels enough to keep my dermatologist from increasing my dosage(30mg 2 times a day). I have my next blood test around the 26th of Apr. What can i do to keep my liver enzymes down or get them down enough in time for my blood test to not scare my doctor into taking me off the meds?

I was fine drinking on Accutane for awhile... I went for about 3 bender weekends in a row but this past weekend did me in. I don't know if it was switching from imported to domestic and back or mixing in some tequila along with the dope and cigars or what... All I know is I went from zero actives to ten within twenty four hours.

On the upside the rash on my hands and arms went away, my nose stopped drying out... But I think I fucked up all the progress I was making. I wonder if all the drinking somehow flushed the drug out of my liver...? Just feel kinda stupid to waste all this time taking the drug to potentially fuck up the long term effects for a couple of "fun" nights I don't even remember. Oh and one more thing... Hangovers on Accutane suck the phatty.

JOB = MONEY = DRINK.