Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jz68

Not all red marks fade with time

I was reading some of the threads around here and am shocked by how many people believe that all red marks will fade away given enough time. I have bad news for you, that just isn't true. Some of the marks left on your face may never fade. How do I know this you ask? Because I am experiencing it first hand. I am 37 years old and still have some marks on my face left from large cysts when I was a teenager. I have tried everything short of laser resurfacing and the marks remain. Hope I didn't ruin anyones day, but too many of you have unrealistic expectations. :naughty:

Maybe you just have really crappy skin? no offense, but that sounds completely unnatural. I had an enormous cyst on my face a month ago, after treating it with aloe vera while it was active and continuing to treat it with aloe vera, you would never know I had it. Honestly, the red mark it left is completely faded.

That said, I do have a couple of marks on my cheek that have been there for over a year(from back when I didn't care about my acne, and picked at it or treated it with the wrong treatments), but they have also faded in that time, they have also faded even more since I started actively exfoliating with baking soda and treating them with aloe vera.

But, with all that in mind, I have heard that laser treatments are the only truly effective short-term treatments for red marks, everything else only temporarily alleviating them or only effecting them at a very small degree.

Furthermore, when you say you've tried everything short of laser resurfacing, have you actually TRIED things, or have you just experimented with this and that haphazardly for a couple weeks tops and then ditched them?

If there is one consistent truth about acne and its fallout, it's that nobody's experience is quite like anybody else's, so even if you say you have some red marks that have never healed, someone in otherwise your exact same situation might have a completely different story.

No problem is going to be cleared up in a few weeks. When I say that I've tried treatments for marks it means that I have seen them through and not seen results. I have one advantage over many of the people that post here....my age. I have over 20 years of dealing with acne and its aftermath.

Of course everyones face is different and that's why I said that some marks may never fade. I never said that peoples marks won't fade because mine haven't. I was simply responding to a lot of posters with what may be very unrealistic expectations.

Guest Marino

have you tryed Vbeam?

laser resurfacing such as eribium and Co2 are used for INDENTED scaring, and have a history of making pigmentation problems WORSE.

Vbeam is specifically for pigment and cappillary/dillated blood vessel problems, have you tryed it? If so, how many treatments?

things like broken capillaries dont heal on their own.. it has nothing to do with having crappy skin.. and things like aloe vera wont do shit for it because it isnt on the skins surface.

Guest Marino

things like broken capillaries dont heal on their own..

if your talking about red marks, i honestly believe your over generlizing

ive had plenty of red marks on body disapear on there own,

i believe my face also cleared up with time coz the peels/IPL did jack shit

I've never seen any one in my life who was middle aged and had red marks without active acne

some of my red marks have gone away from past acne....so i guess it depends on what skin type you have. sorry to burst YOUR bubble.

Guest pppapillon

Maybe you still have your red marks because you have "tried everything short of laser resurfacing" and aggrevated your skin.

I noticed that my red marks GOT WORSE when I used benzoyl peroxide (BP) on them. It went from red to like DARK BROWN. When I quit BP and used nothing but SpectroJel, it got a lot better.

I'm a firm believer that red marks fade, why? Because mine are fading RAPIDLY!!!

some of my red marks have gone away from past acne....so i guess it depends on what skin type you have. sorry to burst YOUR bubble.

:D

Guest nec77

I agree with jz... there are some red marks that dont go away. I guess they are scars but they do look like red marks. I know what red marks you people are talking about, the ones that heal in a few weeks. I've had those and they did go away. But, what I got on my forehead (lot of red-pink dots- feels smooth, not indented, not raised) just wont go away! I am really considering vBeam (thanks to Marino) but all I need to do is consult my derm.

i've got red marks that are years old, because i wasn't infomed well enough on how to treat my cysts at an early age

now i'm better prepared, i rarely get red marks after a spot/cyst however, i've enough to contend with as it is, from the past.

Maybe you just have really crappy skin? no offense, but that sounds completely unnatural.

I'm gonna have to agree and say the same exact thing.

I'm 33 years old and I had bad breakouts in my 20's and those marks left.

Most of you should not worry about that stuff.

my redmarks are 1 year old. but since i was on tane for 6 of those months i have no doubt my redness would of faded early. but at least my redmarks are pinkmarks now. maybe in another 3-4 months they'll be nomarks.

Guest nec77

Well those few redmarks you have might be from new pimples don't you think? Even if they're a couple months old or a few years. I know my parents had horrible redmarks and now they all faded in 10-20 years. They don't really breakout anymore except for an occasional pimple some months.

Hmm maybe I should not get vBeam done after all...?

Well those few redmarks you have might be from new pimples don't you think? Even if they're a couple months old or a few years. I know my parents had horrible redmarks and now they all faded in 10-20 years. They don't really breakout anymore except for an occasional pimple some months.

Hmm maybe I should not get vBeam done after all...?

Microdermabrasion seems to works well for a lot red marks, provided your acne is not active. I do that about once week.

my redmarks are 1 year old. but since i was on tane for 6 of those months i have no doubt my redness would of faded early. but at least my redmarks are pinkmarks now. maybe in another 3-4 months they'll be nomarks.

that's a good sign that they have gone down to pink, that's the first step. it takes time they won't go away overnight but they will eventually go away.

that's a good sign that they have gone down to pink, that's the first step. it takes time they won't go away overnight but they will eventually go away.

How can you say that the marks will go away? Not all marks go away. :wall:

Ther is no doubt that it depends on the individual's type on color of skin. Age also comes into play more than people realize.

Despite my almost 28 years of dealing with acne (and I'm only 38), my red marks faded fairly quickly when I was younger. The ability of my body to heal those types of marks or scars or whatever they are has gradually gotten slower and slower over the last 10 years. Now, I have marks on my face that are still trying to fade from cystic acne lesions I had two years ago that were relativy small compared to other's I've had.

I also think it depends on where the marks are. The skin is thinner and has less elasticity on some partsof the face than others. My worse red marks that have taken the longest to fade are along my jawline, for example.

-----------------------------

As another note, I'm actually kind of amused by people when they said "I think I'll try this or I think I'll try that" when referring to laser treatments or Rx meds but, ultimately, the decision for any treatment is up to the doctor. I thought I was going to go to a Laser Center to get one type of treatment done only to find that my type of acne and the condition of my skin required an entirely different type of treatment, so instead of doing RDT and thermage, I'm doing cooltouch and fraxel. It was my dermatologist who suggested I go to this laser center for a consult regarding my acne and scarring in the first place and if he thought I could benefit from V-beam, for example, he would have simply done it himself. I suppose if you were insistent enough, they would concede but make you sign a waiver or something, but really, the decision is ultimately up to your doctor...

Guest nec77

Anyone who gets a laser procedure done without a doctor advising them is foolish. I said im gonna get vbeam because it looks like what I have but, I scheduled a doctor consultation because Im not an expert!