Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zief

Mild Acne Accutane Users

For anyone who had mild acne (but persistent like mine)... how bad was your initial break out? I mean did you go from mild to moderate during that phase, and if so how long did it stay for like that? Trying to decide if Accutane would be right for me after trying 3 different kinds of antibiotics (Minocycline, Bactrim, Duac). Thanks for anyone who can help me!

Yea i was thinking about accutane and my dermatologist said mild cases like mine shouldnt even think about it and put me on mino,duac,and retin-a-micro. works good

For anyone who had mild acne (but persistent like mine)... how bad was your initial break out? I mean did you go from mild to moderate during that phase, and if so how long did it stay for like that? Trying to decide if Accutane would be right for me after trying 3 different kinds of antibiotics (Minocycline, Bactrim, Duac). Thanks for anyone who can help me!

Hi there! I have mild acne, but it is persitant. My dermatoligist recommended i go on Accutane, i only take one pill a day (20mg) and my skin is awesome now. I tried all the antibiotics like minocycline and it works ok, but as soon as you go off it my acne returned! My doctor told me that it only supress the acne, not cure the problem. The only side effects from taking Accutane are slightly dry lips and a little more tired then usual. Try it guys, what the heck have you got to lose! Best of luck. :-)

Hi there! I have mild acne, but it is persitant. My dermatoligist recommended i go on Accutane, i only take one pill a day (20mg) and my skin is awesome now. I tried all the antibiotics like minocycline and it works ok, but as soon as you go off it my acne returned! My doctor told me that it only supress the acne, not cure the problem. The only side effects from taking Accutane are slightly dry lips and a little more tired then usual. Try it guys, what the heck have you got to lose! Best of luck. :-)

Well that's why I started this post - just trying to figure out if the positves will out weigh the negatives. If I have to go through 4 months of hell with breakouts, dry skin, chapped lips (and other side effects that COULD occur)... i may try and pursue other methods, though I am getting a little fed up with antibiotics. But, if I was just on a small amount of accutane a day like you, then i'm sure the side effect would be minimal, and i'd really like to have the clear skin that I had a year ago... man life was so much better then lol.

Well that's why I started this post - just trying to figure out if the positves will out weigh the negatives. If I have to go through 4 months of hell with breakouts, dry skin, chapped lips (and other side effects that COULD occur)... i may try and pursue other methods, though I am getting a little fed up with antibiotics. But, if I was just on a small amount of accutane a day like you, then i'm sure the side effect would be minimal, and i'd really like to have the clear skin that I had a year ago... man life was so much better then lol.

I had mild but persistant acne for 12 years and accutane was definitely worth it. (However, if you've only had acne for a year, I'm not sure it it counts as persistant yet). I had few to no side effects (the biggest one was dry eyes, but my skin didn't flake and my lips weren't awful). I was scared of the initial breakout and wasn't sure I wanted to trade mild acne for moderate acne before I went to having no acne, but honestly, it wasn't any worse than a regular breakout that I could have had pre accutane. I'm not even sure if I could attribute it to accutane, since I started accutane during a breakout anyway. My skin completely cleared up after 1-2 months and I didn't get another pimple for a year. I had a mild breakout two weeks ago when I switched birth control pills, but now my skin is clear again. My only regret is that I didn't take it sooner.

Even though my acne was mild, now that I look at pictures I can't believe what a huge difference it makes to have clear skin. I say go for it.

Hey - sorry I meant that I've had mild for a few years, but when I was starting my minocycline last summer I had clear skin for a few months and it was great - first time I had really 100% total clear skin in my life i think. Just want to get back to that point, and your comments have been extremely helpful, thank you very much!

I have mild acne and I didnt have a breakout. 4 Months down the line still not clear though.

Hmmm interesting... well I guess there's really no way to tell then on how every mild acne accutane user will respond to the drug, I guess I'll just have to gamble and take my chances if i decide to go on it

I had mild acne and my face completely cleared of active zits in like under two weeks. I didn't get an initial breakout, and throughout my course (four months) I think I got about three zits on my face, tops. I got a few more on my back but that was really no big deal. They cleared up and everything is smooooth.

I think I'm kind of a rare case though...

I had mild acne and my face completely cleared of active zits in like under two weeks. I didn't get an initial breakout, and throughout my course (four months) I think I got about three zits on my face, tops. I got a few more on my back but that was really no big deal. They cleared up and everything is smooooth.

I think I'm kind of a rare case though...

What was your dosage?

State your dosages!! lol

I have acne like yours and my derm prescribed me Accutane. I started getting acne about 3 years ago and tried many different meds.

My intial breakout wasn't horrible, but it was bad. I am not use to getting acne like I did, so it was a shock. I would say the actually break out only lasted a few days. It has been over a month and my face has calmed down. It is healing, but not perfect yet. I am happy w/ the progress so far.

I have mild to moderate acne also, but very VERY persistant. I tried everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) topicals, orals, you name it... so now Im on Accutane, and its definately the best decision Ive made regarding my acne! Initial breakout was, well, moderate I guess. It happened in the first week (end of the first week, I guess) and I had maybe 6-8 cysts and some whiteheads, but they cleared in a few days. Its really over before you know it. Then the dryness takes over--no more oil, yay!!!! Gotta keeps those lips moisturized, though! Im 2 months into my treatment, and to sum up my experience... I love it! But, you have to make that decision for yourself. While the side effects are rare, they still happen occasionally, and you just need to decide for yourself if you think the benefits outweigh the risks (I sure think so!!!!) Good luck!

i have mild acne and am on day 16

40 mg/day, probably will get upped to 60 next month or the month after

Side effects just mostly dryness, and not a lot of that anyways. either im lucky, or im moisturizing well

I had no trouble getting accutane. Lower back pain is minor so its no reason not to take it.

Check my gallery if u want to see what i call 'mild'

I THINK i had an initial breakout, but its wayy overrated at least for me it was. my IB was a slight increase in whiteheads that appeared, but it wasnt anything worse then id seen before while on proactiv (what a useless treatment). Hopefully ive seen the worst and clear skin awaits!

How was your acne before ? Do you have any pics. My skin is decent on my face, but my neck and back are on the verge of moderate/severe.

I have mild acne and I didnt have a breakout. 4 Months down the line still not clear though.

dude your clear, Ive seen your pictures. Guys our age are supposed to get 1-2 pimples often. Your skin looks good. Even though you always seem to get down on yourself you need to stop worrying, I know its hard but bro please, your skin is good to go.

Yea im only 15 with very mild acne and I dont wanna have to deal with acne the rest of my teen years so would accutane be a good choice for me as long as its a low dosage like 20mg or whatever... right now im on retin-a-micro,duac,and minocyclin and there clearing me but i dotn want to have to worry abotu acne down the road again....

What was your dosage?

State your dosages!! lol

I weigh about 110 pounds (sometimes lighter), my dosage was 30 mg for two weeks, 50 for another months and a half, 60 mg for the other two months. I think I *just* hit the recommended 125mg/kg.

Ok heres my story... I had mild acne but persistant and tried every kind of antibiotic and topical.. didnt work! So after finally convincing my derm.. 4 years ago he put me on it (40mg). It was a ROUGH 5 months... i broke out really really bad up until the 3rd month..i was getting pimples in places i never got before... the dryness didnt really bother me too much though. BUT i must say i would do it all over again... which i am in 3 weeks lol. Because after those 5 months.. i didnt get another pimple for 4 years. Dont get me wrong i had the occasional whitehead here and there but it was like a grain of sand size thing. It did take like 6 months for the redmarks to go away but it was sooooo worth it! I think you should do it! And you dont know if your going to get the bad IB but I would take 100 pimples in 3 months over 100 pimples in 3 years anyday! think about it :cool:

Hey,

I didn't get an intial break out at all.

It just cleared it all up within a month.

bnd.