Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cal4ever

please help, bf's acne out of control...

Hi Everyone,

I'm so glad I found this forum. Please forgive me. I've done a search of the forums and read the faq on acne, but I'm not really sure what my bf has, so I'm posting a message in hopes of someone helping us out.

My bf has always had problems with his skin. He's currently using proactiv and it has worked wonders. He gets the occasional whiteheads on his face, but that's about it. This past Wednesday, everything changed. I'm not sure what happened, but his nose is covered with white heads, blood spots (that seem to be trapped under the skin) and puss. Nothing changed in his diet or his stress level (so he says) and this just came out of nowhere. It seems to be getting worse everyday. His nose is very swollen and very, very red! At first I thought it might be rosacea, but I don't understand how it can come out of nowhere--and so severe for that matter. He plans to see the doctor on Monday, but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to what this might be.

He's very self conscious and I feel bad about his situation. I tell him that's it's nothing to be ashamed of or be embarassed about. He says I just don't get it because I don't have bad skin like him. :( We've been together for 5 years, and any acne on his face--even if it is severe--really doesn't matter to me, but I know it's a big deal for him so I'd like to help him out the best way I can. So any information would be great.

Oh, other useful information: He's 24, Asian Male, medium color skin, fairly oily skin. I don't know if any of that helps.

Thanks everyone.

Ok i had a similar reaction after using Proactiv for a little over the year. And my friend had warned me that it had happened to her. My reaction though was not on the nose; instead it was on my cheeks. Proactiv had actually worked very well for me for a while, but then it failed me. I had to actually change face soaps and all that stuff, but my face is clearing up. I am not on the Clear Skin Regimen (the link the user above gave you) and I've seen some progress but have only been on it for about 4 weeks. I don't know what it is about Proactiv...someone suggested that it is the perfumes that build up and cause the reaction and not the BP.

I hope this helps a little. Certainly a doctor will be more helpful. Hopefully his face will clear up soon! Good luck!

Thanks for all the replies!

Wow, I didn't even think that it may be the proactiv! His nose looks worse and better today. It looks as if a blood vessel popped on his nose. However, the swelling has gone down. Can it possibly be a cyst? We're out of ideas. Can't wait 'til Monday.

Thanks, Everyone!