Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
daman33

Accutane and working out

I knew going into this accutane treatment, that joint pain was a side effect, but I didn't realize how it would affect me. I have always worked out like 5 days a week, using heavy weights and running on the treadmill and stuff, you know staying in good shape. But about 2 months in to accutan, the next day after I did some heavy lifting the joints in my elbows were giving me a lot of pain, like they were strained. Has anyone else experienced this? My doctor told me to take Co Q-10 vitamins to ease the pain. Well I gave my body a week to rest it off, and I got back into the gym today and the pain was there, where I could not lift any weights. Has anyone else experienced this and what have they done for it? Please help, I can't stand not being able to lfit, but I also need to get through this treatment.

Hi, about this topic. Firstly, 5 days a week heavy is ridiculous and would cause joint pain without the accutane. I am a personal trainer , i am also taking accutane (60mg a day). Joint pain only occurs if you lift beyond what you can safely lift and if you overtrain. Just do what you usually do, but on a one on one off routine. This will help with your joint pain and also give you better muscle gains. Muscle grows when it rests, not when it is being worked! Omega 3, may work, but my less is more technique will definately help you, Try both. Gud luck m8.

I have no experience with accutane but I used to get joint pain simply from lifting too frequently, as in 7 days a week :rolleyes:. Try taking some fish oil as suggested, everyone should be on that for the numerous other health benefits anyway. You could also try some glucosamine. Make sure you aren't squeezing the bar too hard when you lift as this puts excess pressure on your joints.

Hi, about this topic. Firstly, 5 days a week heavy is ridiculous and would cause joint pain without the accutane. I am a personal trainer , i am also taking accutane (60mg a day). Joint pain only occurs if you lift beyond what you can safely lift and if you overtrain. Just do what you usually do, but on a one on one off routine. This will help with your joint pain and also give you better muscle gains. Muscle grows when it rests, not when it is being worked! Omega 3, may work, but my less is more technique will definately help you, Try both. Gud luck m8.

I don't see how 5 days a week is ridiculous. As long as you aren't doing a total body workout 5 days a week, lifting 5 days a week is fine.

Your right, it was more than likely to be partly caused by the accutane. I am also qualified to be a personal trainer, even tho i dont practice, and that guy saying that 5 times a week is too much is partly right, however if you alternate your work outs, which im sure your doing its not too bad. Before accutane i was working out about 4-5 times a week. I have found that on accutane you are unable to get any gains..ie you should never out your weights up, only work on maintaining a level you are comfortable with.... That should help out a little bit, but i found i just had to reduce the amount of work outs i completed, am currently in my 6th month of accutane, so looking forward to getting off it thats for sure....

peace

Odorless fish oil will help immensely - it has anti-inflammatory properties and apparently helps to lubricate joints. Backing off the weight until you are comfortable will help too. If you are experiencing pain when lifting, then now is not the time to try to gain - just try to maintain. Remember that recovery time is increased while on Accutane, give each muscle group a little more time than normal to recover before you work it again. Avoid injury as your healing response is greatly slowed, and a major injury may require you to stop treatment in order to heal it.

Okay, I am having the same problem for about 10 days now...and I don't really "lift". I work out like 4-5 days a week, mostly cardio, but I also alternate some weight training...legs one day, upper body next day, third day I do side bends, abs, whatever else I forgot the first 2 days, lol...I'm a girl, so i do like 3 sets of 15-20 reps, not a lot of weight. So if this unbearable joint pain in my hips is happening out of nowhere, don't even try to say it's not accutane!!! And I eat egg whites every morning WITH Flax seed, which has omega 3. I also take a bunch of vitamins: multi, B-complex, E...

My question is this: if I can manage to pop an Aleve and ignore the pain at the gym, is it ok to still work out or am I causing damage to my body? Please answer with facts, not just guesses... Thank you and happy, clear skin to all!!! Danielle :D

Okay, I am having the same problem for about 10 days now...and I don't really "lift". I work out like 4-5 days a week, mostly cardio, but I also alternate some weight training...legs one day, upper body next day, third day I do side bends, abs, whatever else I forgot the first 2 days, lol...I'm a girl, so i do like 3 sets of 15-20 reps, not a lot of weight. So if this unbearable joint pain in my hips is happening out of nowhere, don't even try to say it's not accutane!!! And I eat egg whites every morning WITH Flax seed, which has omega 3. I also take a bunch of vitamins: multi, B-complex, E...

My question is this: if I can manage to pop an Aleve and ignore the pain at the gym, is it ok to still work out or am I causing damage to my body? Please answer with facts, not just guesses... Thank you and happy, clear skin to all!!! Danielle :D

I've been off accutane for a little over 6 months now, and while I don't find too many problem lifting weights, I do have pain in my knees sometimes after I run. Sucks :(

Hi everyone,

I run 4 times a week on average around 30-50kms a week. I love running, am addicted

to it and enjoy the races once a month on Sunday's (21.1kms). I'm on day 31 of accutane

and can not run the 21.1kms until my course of 4 months is over. About 1 week ago I

started with the joint and muscle pain in my legs. The pain in my calve muscles and lower back have

improved since taking the Omega 3, 3days ago, but the pain in my joint in my right hip/ass

is excruciatingly painful when running. Ok, I ran 2 days in a row and know I shouldn't have

but that was a trial and error thing. I have never had pain like this from running and my derm

said that I should watch out for it while doing vigorous exercise.

My personal opinion - Cut down on the amount of exercise you doing, but not totally. Rather

get over and done with the acne and accutane course, while still maintaining a reasonably

good fitness programme and when your course is finished just put in a bit more work to

get as fit as you wanted to be.

I've decided to run every second day and only run a maximum of 5kms - hopefully

this won't be too strenuous on my ass joint :shifty: and I'll maintain reasonable

fitness levels. If you have set your goals already, don't throw them out, just postpone

them.

My reply was not only for your joint pains, but your muscular gains also. 5 days a week is too much wether you do split body part workouts or not, body needs time to rest and grow. I do competitions and have been trained by some very "In the know" people. Trust me, less time in the gym, but more intense time is ALOT more benificial than spending a couple of hours in there 5 days a week, 3 45 minute sessions heavy weight a week is enough, 4 45 minute sessions moderate (toning weight) is enough. After 45 mins muscle stops working efficiently, if u work longer than this you will have to wait longer for gains and you may also go into regression! And remember, keep eatin that protein!!!

My reply was not only for your joint pains, but your muscular gains also. 5 days a week is too much wether you do split body part workouts or not, body needs time to rest and grow. I do competitions and have been trained by some very "In the know" people. Trust me, less time in the gym, but more intense time is ALOT more benificial than spending a couple of hours in there 5 days a week, 3 45 minute sessions heavy weight a week is enough, 4 45 minute sessions moderate (toning weight) is enough. After 45 mins muscle stops working efficiently, if u work longer than this you will have to wait longer for gains and you may also go into regression! And remember, keep eatin that protein!!!

Dude, no workout should be more than 45 min, so you CAN work out 5x a day.

ive been training for 5 years but when on tane i gave up a bit cause my pain was too bad and yes 5 days is too much 4 days max. you need rest for your muscles to repair properly otherwise you will overtrain. this is not the point of the discussion but ive been on tane twice and the pain is fukt up and thats why i dont wanna go on ym 3rd miserable course. basically too many problems from tane when my stupid acne comes back anyway. bread is for losers eat that tuna and salmon straight from the tin haha. peace and good luck as training on tane is fukt.

and answer that guys wuestion cause i wanna know as well does trainging orotane when your bones and joins are sore cause damage even if ur not overtraining. as i felt sore even when lifting the weights. piece to the valley im doing a bulking program now but the fukt thing is im gunna be on tane soon and i think il stop my training :( i just wanna be normal

ive been training for 5 years but when on tane i gave up a bit cause my pain was too bad and yes 5 days is too much 4 days max. you need rest for your muscles to repair properly otherwise you will overtrain. this is not the point of the discussion but ive been on tane twice and the pain is fukt up and thats why i dont wanna go on ym 3rd miserable course. basically too many problems from tane when my stupid acne comes back anyway. bread is for losers eat that tuna and salmon straight from the tin haha. peace and good luck as training on tane is fukt.

and answer that guys wuestion cause i wanna know as well does trainging orotane when your bones and joins are sore cause damage even if ur not overtraining. as i felt sore even when lifting the weights. piece to the valley im doing a bulking program now but the fukt thing is im gunna be on tane soon and i think il stop my training :( i just wanna be normal

I'm not a guy, I'm a girl!! Does my pic not come up? It doesn't on my screen, but i did add one to my profile, and when u click "card" thing, I can see it...? Whatever. yeah, answer the question, somebody!!! Am I doing more damage, or is it okay as long as I tolerate the pain?