Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RJ4023

My Retin-A experiance

My experiance with Tretinoin cream (generic of Retin-A)

Summary of experiance prior to Tretinoin

My skin condition prior to using it was moderate acne with around 2-3 papulses and several open scars at any given time. My skin was unpredictable, extremely oily in places, extremely dry in places, and covered in dark brown spots ( I'm african American btw). Throughout my experimentation with different treatments i usually found that something would work for several days or several weeks and then stop working altogether.

Benzol peroxide would always clear me up within 2 days and then i would always brake out again later and I would stop using it becuase it made my skin sooooo dry that i could barely smile with my skin cracking and hurting. Same with differin, it would work after a week then my skin would revert suddenly. My skin hasn't been good since I was 12.

-was never on Isotretinoin (accutane)

Summary of experiance on Tretinoin (%.1)

There are several concentrations of Tretinoin and my doc wasn't messing around I immediately started on the highest one. I started generic tretinoin (generic for Retin-A) in October '05 and it is now April '06. In the early few days of using tretinoin, the cream dried me out a bit but nothing i couldn't live with. And then by day 3-4 I started to peel. The peeling process had an incredible affect on my face, because it revealed a smooth complexion underneath. I thought it was a miracle. However I began to break out again- I started breaking out in these small cystic type bumps. I had gotten about 4-5 of these over the course of the next 2 weeks. These things were really bad for me becuase they would heal and leave the only indented scars I've ever had on my face. So I figured i was back to square one but i persisted with it becuase in every forum the users stressed patience. My skin gradually started getting better and better and by the end of a month for the first time I didn't have a zit on my face. I kept using the cream and my skin would still breakout less often as before. My skin was getting better slowly. It's been such a slow process that I take for granted the affect it's had on my face. I almost can't really remember what my face looked like before and now I'm stuck on the uneveness of my skin tone post active acne. It's like growing, it's such a slow thing that you never feel yourself growing- only after you look back at the process over a period of time do the results sink in.

Conclusion

Pros= Costs a mere $10 with the help of insurance, will reduce moderate acne, will help skin tone

Cons= needs a long period of time to be affective, will not control oil, initial breakout stage

skin before= active moderate acne, occasional cyst, face loaded with hyperpigmention spots, bad skin tone

skin after= few scattered tiny tiny blemishes, acne all but inactive, no cysts, skin tone more even, hyperpigmentation still present not as pronounced

Post concluding remarks

presently trying to even out my skin tone- considering MaMa lotion or Nucelle-

what do you think of tanning while on it? I use it at night and obviously I'll use an SPF I'll even cover my skin for half the time I'm in the tanning bed

what do you think of tanning while on it? I use it at night and obviously I'll use an SPF I'll even cover my skin for half the time I'm in the tanning bed

If it were me I'd wrap a big blanket around my face to not take ANY chances hehe.

I don't know how dark you want your body to be, but you ever use those tinted moisturizers? I used to use them to make my complexion smoother and more even, maybe you could use it to match your face to your body.

I used ones by Neutrogena and Oil of olay

K thanks i wanna be DARK lol i was thinking of using a self tanner when the lady at Bare Minerals GASPED when I said i was going to a tanning bed hehe thanks alot ...

KASAF asked about tanning while on Retin-A . . . I think this is a bad idea. Retin-A makes your skin more vulnerable to the sun -- I would guess that goes for artificial "sun" from tanning booths as well. I just started Retin-A myself. My derm told me that the reason you want to apply Retin-A at night is that the sun kinda deactivates the Retin-A. I would think that that is just one more reason not to tan while using it.