Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
postfetalphase

moderate body acne - birth control

Because my period is regular and I am pretty much broken out constantly (as opposed to before my period only), my dermatologist doesn't think birth control will help my acne. But I am sick of this. I have been going to her since december for body acne and haven't had any improvement.

Nobody will put me on accutane, but can they deny me birth control? Should I go in a clinic or something and lie and say I am sexually active, but demand certain brands or something? Could it help my acne, even if my period is regular and whatnot?

I'm thinking balancing out my hormones could help, since I also get more body hair than most girls my age I know.

Better to ask a gynecologist for the birth control than a derm. You don't have to claim to be sexually active, but they will usually require a pelvic exam.

Although, your derm is probably right. Birth control pills can help hormonal breakouts along the jawline, but it doesn't do much for continuous acne and body acne - generally speaking. I'm sure some exceptions to that generality will chime in. :P But if you are thinking of Accutane you should go ahead and get on birth control anyway. It may take some time to find a brand that works for you. I wouldn't expect full clearing, but it might give you some improvement.

Because my period is regular and I am pretty much broken out constantly (as opposed to before my period only), my dermatologist doesn't think birth control will help my acne. But I am sick of this. I have been going to her since december for body acne and haven't had any improvement.

Nobody will put me on accutane, but can they deny me birth control? Should I go in a clinic or something and lie and say I am sexually active, but demand certain brands or something? Could it help my acne, even if my period is regular and whatnot?

I'm thinking balancing out my hormones could help, since I also get more body hair than most girls my age I know.

Yasmin actually cleared my body acne COMPLETELY. Shoulders chest and legs. Had no effect on my face unfortunately

Your situation sounds similar to mine, and Diane 35 cleared my skin completely for the first 1.5 years i was on it, and cleared my skin in combo with SA afterwards (I wasn't taking my pill regularily in the later yaers, I think this is why it was less effective). I should mention that I had moderate acne on my back, chest, and face. My periods were always regular, and my PMS breakout is never bad; I breakout throughout my cycle. I definitely do not have hormonal acne, but BC is the most effective treatement I have ever used (retin-a micro 0.15 is THE only other teatment that has any substantial effect on my skin, so my acne is very persistent).

I went off Diane 35 last year to try to get clear with topicals, but i have recently gone back on. BC pills reduce oil production, so if you have less oil, you have fewer clogged pores and less food for bacteria. Thus, even if your acne is not 'hormonal' it can lead to dramatic improvment.

Your situation sounds similar to mine, and Diane 35 cleared my skin completely for the first 1.5 years i was on it, and cleared my skin in combo with SA afterwards (I wasn't taking my pill regularily in the later yaers, I think this is why it was less effective). I should mention that I had moderate acne on my back, chest, and face. My periods were always regular, and my PMS breakout is never bad; I breakout throughout my cycle. I definitely do not have hormonal acne, but BC is the most effective treatement I have ever used (retin-a micro 0.15 is THE only other teatment that has any substantial effect on my skin, so my acne is very persistent).

I went off Diane 35 last year to try to get clear with topicals, but i have recently gone back on. BC pills reduce oil production, so if you have less oil, you have fewer clogged pores and less food for bacteria. Thus, even if your acne is not 'hormonal' it can lead to dramatic improvment.

Doesn't it also lower amount of body hair?

Yeah topicals don't really do crap for me. I use Retin-A Micro in .04%( I believe?) which works okay for my face but it's hard to use on my body and I don't think it's strong enough.

Thanks, that post is really giving me hope for birth control.

Also, do they all break you out initially? My friend has been on Yasmin about a month now and she has been breaking out very badly.

If I get put on it in the next week or so.... well.... my parents will be away for a week in 3 weeks.... and let's just say I wouldn't like any more acne than I have right now, around then.

Doesn't it also lower amount of body hair?

Yeah topicals don't really do crap for me. I use Retin-A Micro in .04%( I believe?) which works okay for my face but it's hard to use on my body and I don't think it's strong enough.

Thanks, that post is really giving me hope for birth control.

Also, do they all break you out initially? My friend has been on Yasmin about a month now and she has been breaking out very badly.

If I get put on it in the next week or so.... well.... my parents will be away for a week in 3 weeks.... and let's just say I wouldn't like any more acne than I have right now, around then.

Diane 35 does reduce body hair, and sebum production. This is my third time starting this pill (once I stopped accidentally, once intentionally) and I have never had an initial breakout. It seems like Yasmin is more likley to cause an initial breakout than Diane from what others have said on this board.

Yasmin actually cleared my body acne COMPLETELY. Shoulders chest and legs. Had no effect on my face unfortunately

Question for you - I went on Diane years ago and it made me very temperamental and I gained quite a bit of weight. I finally couldn't stand it anymore and went off it. I'd like to try Yasmin but am worried about the same thing happening. Did you have any side effects?

willow: about how long is an inital breakout on yasmin?

marie: yasmin is suppose to be the one BC that does make you gain weight, in fact it has showed girls losing weight.

I did not have an initial breakout on Yasmin and noticed a dramatic decrease in oil production by the second week. I'm now in my fifth week, and my skin is beginning to clear up. I love Yasmin.

Willow is absolutely correct--even if your acne is not hormonal, BCPs like Yasmin and Diane will cause a decrease in oil production, which will descrease your acne.

Good luck!

Yeah i def noticed a decrease in oil.. i wasnt sure if it was the antibiotic or BC though... Im glad your clearing up Springmore! Ill cross my fingers for you! You must have about 3 weeks left until you can go on accutane huh? If you decide not to take it before your wedding i would still recommend you go on accutane after to get rid of it for good. GOOD LUCK! :cool:

willow: about how long is an inital breakout on yasmin?

marie: yasmin is suppose to be the one BC that does make you gain weight, in fact it has showed girls losing weight.

Thanks Jen. And as far as you know, it doesn't make you moodier? I might give it a try. I've done the Levulan PDT and it helped with the acne but my skin is still pretty oily so I'd like to try yasmin.

And as far as you know, it doesn't make you moodier?

Yasmin actually makes me less moody. Of course, everyone is different and you won't know how you'll react to it until you try it.

I was a little more moody in the first month I was on Yasmin, but after that, I've been on an even keel for the most part. Like BTDT says, it's different for everyone.

Other than the initial moodiness, I've really liked this pill!