Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ok so from most of the posts i've read, tretinoin helps scarring a little bit after a few months. What i'm wondering is, if it helps a little after a few months, can it work even further if you use it longer? I dont understand how it can just stop working.

BTW I'm at a stage right now where i dont know if i have scars or just red marks. I can see some indents around my face but for the most part it looks, and seems smooth. But when i look in the mirror with the lights off and just a flashlight, it looks bad. Would it be a good time to go on tretinoin now and try and get to it early?

off topic...

this is pretty weird but i had a long indented scar on my left cheek that i noticed a few months ago. It was still discolored and red too. But now that it has almost faded completely, it seems to have gone pretty much. Filled in almost completely. I checked in the same lighting too.

Does this mean that my skin is still healing and i shouldn;t do anything yet? Or should i start with the tretinoin to maybe get at them early?

Retinoic acids work by thinning your epidermis (outer layer) while thickening up the dermis. Unfortunately, they only work while you are using them. Once you stop, your skin will go back to the way it was before.

^have you seen improvemnets?

also treintoin is supposed to give you "new" skin. So why would the scarred skin come back?

yep i have seen improvements, but by no means its a miracle drug. but i will continue to use it, cuz i feel it evens out texture of skin as well.

to me retin-a micro is as good as any scar treatments.

i mean people suggest 10, 20 40% improvements with expensive surgery. but that could be them just realizing that with that bundle of money spent something HAS to improve.

but with cheaper products like needling or retin-a the improvements are more true. for you are less likely to lie to yourself. but thats just a psychological approach.

but besides retin-a working pretty good im still looking for scar treamtents, just not whats out there now.

i have found this treatment that they do overseas in UK where they develop your own specific collegen from your own skin, which takes about few weeks for them to grow and then they use it to spot treat your scars. so im waiting for that to come over to the states because that seems really promising.

i dunno forget lasers, because wasnt CO2 a miracle a few years back? and smoothbeam as well, thermage, werent they all considered great when they were introduced?

^have you seen improvemnets?

also treintoin is supposed to give you "new" skin. So why would the scarred skin come back?

what's up with that? If it promots new collagen and skin it shouldn't go back unless you retramatize the skin in some way to revert it back to it's old self. That just doesn't make any sense.

cuz the stuffs like working out. once you stop working out your going to be back to your old self.

collagen isn't muscle though, were talking two totally differnt things. There's no way it can go back unless you do something damaging to your skin to make it revert back.

Guest pppapillon

I think you should just leave those red/pink shallow scars alone. The redness fades away with time and yes, shallow "scarring" fills in with time as well. I wouldn't do anything extreme to them. I would live with them for a year or two and let them heal on their own first.

Well I use Retin A on active spots, not sure if this is recommended but it really seems to dry them out.

I was just thinking, does anyone find that Retin A makes their skin red and peeling? I love the effects it has once it has peeled a bit but during the day time when I have makeup on at work my skin kind of cracks and flakes. Does anyone else have this problem?