Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ritz64

Question About Minocycline

*PLEASE READ ALL*

I've been taking minocycline for about 3 months now and I have seen good results, not great, but it's working alot better than all the topicals I have tried. Well then again it has really only done my face any good, my back is still as bad as ever and I hear antibio's are worthless in the long run.

Anyway I've been noticing that my skin is getting very dry, but not peeling, between the folds of my nose and eye, and the center of my forehead. It's more of a dryness that kind of reminds me of the sun damage that sun bathers get after soo many years in the sun, but only alittle bit. On my forehead it almost seems to be irritated and all the scars and redness doesn't help.

It is also hard to gauge how long my skin has been like this since like everyone knows every mirror tells a different story.

Here are the questions/Possible causes of the above issue:

1. Can minocycline cause dryness?

2. Is it possible that exposure to the sun while taking topicals and/or minocycline cause such damage? I don't expose myself to alot of sun, but then again how sensitive does the meds make your skin?

3. Is it possible that the topicals I have taken over the years have damaged my skin?

4. Could it be a temporary problem arising from the use of my bodywash http://www.stives.com/products/show_product.cfm?pid=26? When I use http://www.stives.com/products/show_product.cfm?pid=27 it starts to improve, my skin that is.

What do you guys think the culprite is?

Guest Marino

hey champ!

1. And yes, the pills can make you dry/scaly, myn subsisided on my second round of antibiotics, though i recall controlling the problem with jojoba oil [standard moisturizer would replace it when i was out, which also worked to some extent].

2. I wasn't on mino, though i was on Tetracycline antiobiotics [same sort of antiobiotic family, perhaps generic variations] and topical Clindamycin which clearly said [on both] 'wear sunscreen and avoid ecessive sun exposure'. My doc also told me I would be photosensitive when i first went on them, he suggested i take the pill after the evening meal, which helped alot. Everybody has different amounts of melanin in there skin which helps protect against the sun, its hard to say how much your skin can handle- with or without the antibiotics.

3. As for topicals damaging your skin, i'd have to know what kind of topicals you were on and what type of damage you have...

4. Much like you, i also had still have acne on my body while my face was clear. There wasn't much, though i had about 3-5 spaced out over my chest/back/shoulders at any given time. Also my neck would get an aditional spot every now and then. I believe most body acne isn't as a severe infection as the face, and is mostly blocked pores which is why antibiotics dont work as well there. Exfoliating helps alot, though it seems to irritate your skin more than anything else. I'm confused as to what you are saying though, do you believe the body scrub is temporarily affecting your body acne but at the same time believe it helps?

Honestly, i believe your better off on hiting acutane now, because:

-Your on antibiotics which means your going to have to switch to an alternative acne medication soon

-You dont respond to topicals

-You still have active acne on your body

-You mentioned scaring, meaning you cant afford to keep breaking out

Give me a list of the topicals you've tryed, we can work from there.

hey champ!

1. And yes, the pills can make you dry/scaly, myn subsisided on my second round of antibiotics, though i recall controlling the problem with jojoba oil [standard moisturizer would replace it when i was out, which also worked to some extent].

2. I wasn't on mino, though i was on Tetracycline antiobiotics [same sort of antiobiotic family, perhaps generic variations] and topical Clindamycin which clearly said [on both] 'wear sunscreen and avoid ecessive sun exposure'. My doc also told me I would be photosensitive when i first went on them, he suggested i take the pill after the evening meal, which helped alot. Everybody has different amounts of melanin in there skin which helps protect against the sun, its hard to say how much your skin can handle- with or without the antibiotics.

3. As for topicals damaging your skin, i'd have to know what kind of topicals you were on and what type of damage you have...

4. Much like you, i also had still have acne on my body while my face was clear. There wasn't much, though i had about 3-5 spaced out over my chest/back/shoulders at any given time. Also my neck would get an aditional spot every now and then. I believe most body acne isn't as a severe infection as the face, and is mostly blocked pores which is why antibiotics dont work as well there. Exfoliating helps alot, though it seems to irritate your skin more than anything else. I'm confused as to what you are saying though, do you believe the body scrub is temporarily affecting your body acne but at the same time believe it helps?

Honestly, i believe your better off on hiting acutane now, because:

-Your on antibiotics which means your going to have to switch to an alternative acne medication soon

-You dont respond to topicals

-You still have active acne on your body

-You mentioned scaring, meaning you cant afford to keep breaking out

Give me a list of the topicals you've tryed, we can work from there.

2. Well can the sensitivity cause such skin damage as that seen on sunbathers after many years in the sun? I'm just speculating here if such damage can occur for people on such medications, but don't expose themselves to the sun.

3. The roughest I have used is a type of Retna-A

4.Yeah thats what I noticed with efoliating body wash is that it irritates your skin which I now use switched to a moisturizer body wash and see how that goes.

Does acutane only help untill you stop using it or can you take it for about 6 months and then drop it without breaking out?

THANKS FOR THE HELP ! :D

I was on minocycline for quite some time & my skin became VERY sensitive to the sun. Seriously, I use to NEVER burn. Only tan. But when I went on it, suddenly I started to burn, even if I wasnt going out in the sun for long periods.

Just thought I'd tell you that :)

Guest Marino

2. Well can the sensitivity cause such skin damage as that seen on sunbathers after many years in the sun? I'm just speculating here if such damage can occur for people on such medications, but don't expose themselves to the sun.

You'll be on antibiotics for 1-2 years max, that is no where enough time to accumalte mass wrinkles and leathery skin seeing in long time sun bathers, not evan close. Worst case scenario would be some redness, but that will go with time or if its longlasting, a series of treatments can be arranged.

You may damage your skin just a bit, but if you take precautions; i.e: wear a hat, apply 45 + UV protection sun screen every 3 hours, avoid excessive sun exposure and take your pill with the evening meal, you can evan get away with ZERO sun damamge.

Any sun damage you accumlate while on a year or two of antibiotics at your age will not give any permanent discolouration or wrinkles. If you do develope somekind of pigmentation [very extrememe/rare case] you can use a variety of IPL's, Vbeam and evan chemical peels to get back to normal [this is what i did last year, after years of hard excessive Australian sun exposure]. My cheeks went from bright red to white in little over a month with glycolic peels.

3. The roughest I have used is a type of Retna-A

Ok, so you've given topical retinoids and antibiotics a shot without results or potential results your not happy with. Sounds like tane time.

4.Yeah thats what I noticed with efoliating body wash is that it irritates your skin which I now use switched to a moisturizer body wash and see how that goes.

yep, if you have sensitive skin and active acne you shouldn't be manually exfoliating it as you can further irritate breakouts and the likleyhood of scaring. If you are interested in exfoliating with your current skin type/status i remend you give glycolic or SA lotions a try. But see how the moisturie body wash goes first.

Does acutane only help untill you stop using it or can you take it for about 6 months and then drop it without breaking out?

There are different reports with different stats, though it is believed 90 percent of people who respond well to acutane the first time will never develope moderate to severe acne lesions ever again. Most people only take tane once, get clear followed by an occasional spot or two every blue moon till they natrually grow out of acne. Many also never get a spot ever again. Acutane is most probably the only permanent solution for many acne sufferers, though there are minor exceptions.

There are many people on this board who are on there second or evan third round of tane, but like the report states, it is very rare and the huge majority of people take it once and are done with there acne problems for life.

THANKS FOR THE HELP ! :D

any time

I was on minocycline for quite some time & my skin became VERY sensitive to the sun. Seriously, I use to NEVER burn. Only tan. But when I went on it, suddenly I started to burn, even if I wasnt going out in the sun for long periods.

Just thought I'd tell you that :)

haha i cant tell i always burn