Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
chitownqt

Accutane not working.....

I've been on accutane for about 2 1/2 months now. I have seen no improvement at all....its even a little worse if you could believe that :( . I'm losing hope now. Ive been on 40 mg a day since day one, my derm wont up my dosage cause my cholesterol is too high (despite all my hard work trying to get it down). I weigh 119 lbs, if that means anything. Just as old breakouts start healing...a new one will pop up. Please someone tell me that there is still hope!! I still have a bunch of flesh colored bumps on my cheeks that have been there forever...will accutane take care of those?? Another thing... has anyone tried any sort of scar revision while on accutane...I know its a big no-no....just wondering if anyone has tried. Thanks all.

2 and a half months is not long enough to make a fair assesment.

patience is the key, as difficult as it is. good luck.

I've been on accutane for about 2 1/2 months now. I have seen no improvement at all....its even a little worse if you could believe that :( . I'm losing hope now. Ive been on 40 mg a day since day one, my derm wont up my dosage cause my cholesterol is too high (despite all my hard work trying to get it down). I weigh 119 lbs, if that means anything. Just as old breakouts start healing...a new one will pop up. Please someone tell me that there is still hope!! I still have a bunch of flesh colored bumps on my cheeks that have been there forever...will accutane take care of those?? Another thing... has anyone tried any sort of scar revision while on accutane...I know its a big no-no....just wondering if anyone has tried. Thanks all.

sometimes it gets worst before it gets alot better just be patient =) I know it's hard sometimes but just be patient it'll clear up

40mgs sounds about right for your weight, the more you weight the more accutane you have to take, if you want u can ask your derm to raise your dosage

but then youll get more severe side effects

no you shouldn't do ANY scar revision on accutane, since your skin is so fragile, I think u have to wait 6 months after you last pill of accutane to do any scar revision

don't think anyone would do it since it would scar so easily while on accutane to

Your skin will clear up perfectly. Don't worry too much about it. It's only 2 1/2 months into the treatment. By the 4th month you should see major improvement, sometimes even the 5th month is when you'll see it. No worries amigo. :) Oh, and that's a big no no. :naughty: You shouldn't do any scar revision procedures until at least 6 months post accutane. I haven't heard of anyone that's done that.

Thanks for the quick replies!! It's so hard to be patient with this struggle. I hate having to hide my face all the time...I'm even embarrased to look at my boyfriend because of my ugly face!! He tells me I'm beautiful all the time, but I suspect he feels my insecurities about my acne, and tries to make me feel better. Whats worse is that not only do I have acne...but scars as well!!! I'll hang in there tho...

You could always look at the positives. Is your skin less greasy and oily than before?

My skin was never too oily before, there was a little oil..nothing major though. Well...one positive is that my hair is never oily!! I could go days now w/o washing it....sounds gross, but I have very long hair...and washing/blow drying it every other day was such a hassle.

If it helps i'm in the same boat as you. I am 2 months in and I have 6 ... yes 6! new cysts with another 10 white heads :cry: