Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Roxy@22

Birth Control?

Hi Ladies,

I've read several different posts about birth control on this site. I just want to know, has anyone in this forum seen marked results from using a certain type of birth control? I was on OTC and that didnt help at all, but I'll be starting Yasmin soon.

Hi Ladies,

I've read several different posts about birth control on this site. I just want to know, has anyone in this forum seen marked results from using a certain type of birth control? I was on OTC and that didnt help at all, but I'll be starting Yasmin soon.

I had fantastic results on Dianne 35/Brenda 35 (different brandnames, same ingredients), it really cleared my skin up and decreased my oil secretion... unfortunately the cost was too prohibitive to continue. I've heard lots of good things about Yasmin though, if I were on BCPs that's the one I'd try.

I also had great success with Diane 35, however, over time, it started not to work as well. I am currently taking Jasmine/Yasmin (same pill) but i am also on accutane so i attribute my clear skin to the accutane. My doctor also suggested something for women with hormonal ance, in addition to taking diane 35 or yasmin, adding a quarter of 1 pill of another hormone (which i am sure is anti-androgen but i dont recall the name). He has found that this works for many women he treats with hormonal acne. If my acne returns after accutane, i will try this option......I think its a matter of trial and error, and finding what works, what works for one person, may not for another!!

good luck

I've been on Yasmin for nearly two full weeks now. I haven't noticed a difference in my skin, but I am just over the hump of the Retin-A IB (I hope I hope I hope). The good news is that when I was on OTC I broke out every month during my last week of active pills, and now that I've started Yasmin (I started my first pack on the day I would have taken my first day of the last week of active pills), I have not had a hormonal breakout as far as I can tell. I plan on never taking the placebo week of pills and rather going as long as I can on active pills before 1. I run out of money or 2. the insurance company catches on. This is what my gyno recommended for hormonal acne (though we're still not entirely sure if my acne is hormonal), as it's what she did for six straight years. And her skin is beautiful.

Hope that helps! Good luck.

Ive been on Diane35 for 7-8 months now and it has improved slowly each month but even though my acne was quile mild its still not completely gone. I have also taken Yasmin for a year and all it did was make my boobs bigger... not sure about skin because at the time I wasnt suffering from acne.

I tried ortho tricyclin, it helped a little, but not worth the side effects. i will never go on bc again because of it.

I'm on ortha tricyclen. Since I'm fairly new on this type of b.c, I'm going to give it a little more time before I give an opinion. You should give your new b.c. at least 3 months before you come to a conclusion about whether it helps or not. Stopping and starting a b.c. can cause a flare-up also.

I started taking Marvelon when i was 19 (I'm 27 now) and my skin got very clear (just had mild acne) after about 3months, at the age of 23 I wanted to take something less potent, so my gyno put me on Belara (micropill, Ethinylestradioulum 0.03mg and chlormadinoni acetas 2mg per pill, i write this cause i think Belara is only available in Europe), and my skin was like a baby's bum after about three months, and it made my little B's (boobies, sorry) into very full B cups :lol: which is all good in my books. Then i decided i didn't want to take it anymore (BAD idea) and my face went CRAZY :shock: after a year off Belara, i went back on it and it took me five months to see a consistent improvement. I am considering taking this pill til i hit menopause :rolleyes: damned hormones!

I never had skin problems on bc's. I was on yasmin and only had occasional breakouts. I started to get really bad acne when I went off the pill. I hate hormones. I hate being an adult with acne. It's no good for self-confidence, that's for sure!

But, unfortunately, the pill was no good for my sex drive. If I want to have sex with my husband, strangely enough, I've got to be off the bc's. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I tried Dianette, Celeste, Yasmin and Marvelon. Unfortunately, I wasn't on them long enough to see if they were any good cos all of them made me sick!!!! I did notice that the redness in my face went down when I was on them, but I think that was just due to looking very pale before I threw up!!! Dianette is supposed to eb really good though, as my friends are on that and their skin looks loads better.

I'm currently on ortho tricyclin it isn't working for my skin. I've also tried Diane 35, Aleese, none of the b/c pills have worked for my skin.

ortho tri cyclini found helped at first when i switched but after about 5 months my skin kind of went back to normal annoying few pimples a month.

Diane 35 was the best thing that ever came onto the market for me but of course, my doctor took me off of it because there were concerns about it causing blood clots. Originally, Diane35 was supposed to be prescribed mainly as an acne drug and not as a bcp but it was found that thousands of prescriptions have been written for birth control. So doctors were advised to take their patients off of it unless it was for their acne. Then I tried Yasmin and although previous posts have not indicated any problem with it, it made me a crazy woman!!! So now I'm on Tricyclen which is doing absolutely nothing to my skin other than the usual daily bombardment of oil, blackheads and pimples....but it's not making me psychotic!

I took Dianette (Diane 35 in the US) over a long period of time - cant remember how long, maybe 2 years or so. Had good results but when I came off it my skin went completely haywire - the worst it has ever been. My family doctor said that there is evidence to suggest that this is not uncommon with Dianette. For this reason I have refused to go back on it, but it did give me a few years of near acne free skin ...

I love ortho tri cyclen, but I didn't go on it for acne. But it's worked very well to keep my hormones under control. But as I've always mentioned in other posts elsewhere, I really believe controlling hormonal acne involves multivitamins, green tea, and fresh/raw fruits and vegetables, daily and almost predominatly.

Hi Ladies,

OTC did nothing for my skin.

Aleese did nothing for my skin, and gave me horrible side effects.

Now I've been on yasmin for over a year and it has really helped my skin.

But I also attribute my clear skin

to using less products and sage skincare products.

Thing is after years I'm getting side effects from yasmin

and I'm thinking about switching pills.

I posted on this a few weeks ago. I'm now on week six of straight active pills on Yasmin. And I've said it before, but I'm loving it. I've noticed a dramatic decrease in the amount of oil my body produces. At first I only noticed this about my hair (I only need to wash it every other day), but now my face is clearing up, as well. If you have hormonal acne, do not underestimate the impact of an anti-androgen.

Good luck, ladies!