Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jimjoonya

What are these called?

I keep getting these weird bumps that aren't really zits. They are like hard little peices of puss deep inside my pores along with my facial hair. If I pull the hair out, some of it comes out with the hair an I basically have to dig the rest of the shit out with a needle or a sharp pair of tweezers. Gross...I know. But if I don't they never go away. What the fuck is this? I'm on accutane, but how else do I fight these off?

Jimjoonya,

I don't want to freak you out, but I wonder if you have molluscum. I had never heard of this until a few weeks ago. I had this "pimple" on my nose. It had been there for months and wasn't responding to BP or masks or anything. I had an appointment for the derm anyway, so I asked him about it. He said it was molluscum and that it would go away on its own -- AS LONG AS I DID NOT PICK IT. Molluscum is very contagious. Children often get it. He told me not to worry about it. I complained and he agreed to try to freeze it off. Nothing happened.

When I looked it up on the internet, I got kinda freaked. It can get ugly. And it is associated with all kinds of nasty things. But the derm insists that my case is no big deal. I bet your case is also nothing to worry about. But if you have access to a derm, get the bumps checked out. If you don't, look up molluscum on the internet and see if the pictures match your bumps. If it is molluscum, every time you pick at it you are just making it worse and worse and worse. If its just acne, then only the usual worries about picking apply.

BTW, I put Retin-A on my little bump, cuz I read it helps. I'm thinking of ordering some of the organic products I see on the internet, but I'm worried that they're just a scam. My derm charges $75 to freeze a single bump! Since it didn't work the first time, I'm not anxious to pony up the moolah a second. Grrrrr. This bump is soooo ugly.

Further down in this same message board (body acne) there was a post titled pityrosporum folliculitis (I think). Check it out; maybe it's related to what you've got.