Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

anyone heard of azelaic acid for the treatment of acne? my cosmeticain recommended this product called azel-x cream which is supposed to really help with mild acne. i'd like to get more details on this acid cause i've never heard of it before.

Guest Marino

yep, though i believe at around 20 percent it delievers the best results, mind you its also usefull in the treatment of pigmentation, so thats a bonus.

Apply it day and night just like the clear skin regime on this board, it should get you clear in a month or two

this cream is used to stop the build up of dead skin cells that can block your pores. it makes you shed skin faster than normal.

best of luck,

tim

Are these OTC products? Or do you know of any OTC products containing azelaic acid? Things that i can get at places like.. target, walmart, etc... ? or a drugstore.. Thanks!!!!

Are these OTC products? Or do you know of any OTC products containing azelaic acid? Things that i can get at places like.. target, walmart, etc... ? or a drugstore.. Thanks!!!!

There is one called Melazepam. It's sold here:

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/search/en/que...&intsource=main

Melazepam is an emollient cream that contains 20% Azelaic Acid. Inert ingredients include Stearyl Alcohol, White Petrolatum, Glyceryl Monolaurate, Mineral Oil, Propylene Glycol, C12-C15 Alcohols, Benzoate, Sorbitan Oleate, Polysorbate 80, L-Carnitine, Methylparaben, Propylparaben. Azelaic acid is a natural non-toxic dicarboxylic fatty acid material made by a yeast that grows on the skin called Pityrosporum ovale. It supports skin health.

IPB Image

It used to be available on eBay for cheap (Finacea/Azelex) but eBay caught on and pulled out the listings. It was also once available at SkinActives.com as a powder where you have to mix it with aloe vera gel to create a 15%-20% concentration but they also had to pull it out by orders of the FDA. I wrote to them and they said that they have a new active called potassium azeloyl diglycinate which should be available this spring. I haven't found any product like it. But Murad has this Anti-Aging Acne Treatment that contains the ingredient.

Potassium azeloyl diglycinate (azeloglicina) is an innovative water-soluble ingredient with sebum normalizing and skin lightening properties of azelaic acid with moisturizing and elasticizing properties of glycin. Azeloglicina is the patented ingredient of Sinerga S.p.a. of Milan, Italy. It is recommended for oily, seborrheic skin and as a skin-lightening agent to reduce the color of melanin aggregates or age spots.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002YLXJ...lance&n=3760911

Hi,

We just listed the Azeloyl glycine on our site, hopefully it will not offend ebay or PayPal (it was them rather than the FDA that got upset, the FDA is ok with its sale). The listing can be found here: http://skinactives.com/products/azeloylglycine.htm

Please check out the coleus oil too, it is not for everyone but it seems to help.

Jonatan (from skinactives.com)

I have been using azelaic acid 20% (brand Acnederm avail. Australia and New Zealand I think) for about three weeks now. Good news it doesn't cause me any redness, itching or irritation. Results so far are pleasing. Skin not totally clear but there has been an improvement. I only apply once per day. Can't put foundation on over it so only use at night. Slight problem with oiliness. I have to blot every couple of hours. My skin is oily but most topicals make it oilier. Give it a go!