Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ok, so here's the situation, I got off accutane a while ago, and for the most part, my skin is pretty clear. I still get the occasional zit, so I haven't been able to get off bp. However I want to switch to tea tree oil for several reasons. First off, even after the bp gel is dry, it is still bleaching my clothes (I get a little back and chest acne). Also, since getting off accutane, my skin is been pretty flaky, especially around the eyebrows. No amount of moisurizing can fix it, creams, jojoba oil etc don't work to stop the flaking. It's so sensitive, that I can only wash my face gently with water, and that still causes mad flaking. The steam from the shower (and I shower daily) is enough to set it off. It could just be bad luck, but it might be able bp gel as well. So I want to switch to a gel-like product except with tea tree oil. So in essence I'm asking if anyone has any recommendations for tea tree leave-on gels that are cheap, large (so I can possibly buy in bulk like bp-gel) and with the fewest amount of added ingredients? Basicly, something like bp-gel, except with tea tree oil.

Thanks

Guest Gentle~Rain

Does it have to be a gel for you? I don't even know if it comes in a gel :think:but you can buy a bottle of tea tree oil and mix it with some jojoba oil - measure 1 c jojoba oil...take out 1 tablespoon of oil and put back in jojoba oil jar, then measure 1 tablespoon tea tree oil , add to cup jojoba oil (remember it's minus 1tbls) mix all together. That would give you about a 6% ratio (6.25).... or take out 2 TBLS oil and replace w/2tbls tea tree- would be around 12.5% ( too high IMO....but some people claim they use it full strenght, I can't, maybe I'm too sensitive.)

I used to do the whole tea tree/jojoba, but I dont like the application, puting on a layer of oil, waiting for it to absorb, then wiping the excess is too much process before I get dressed. If it was just my face, it wouldn't be too much of a problem. I need something water based just so I can rub it in then get on with my life. I go to college now, so my life is pretty hectic. I don't have time for lengthy morning and evening rituals

Also, I'm looking for a dilute gel, maybe somewhere in the 2.5 to 6 range, since that is supposed to be pretty equivelent to bp at that range, and the for the most part the bp is working well, just problems with its side effects and bleaching

Guest Gentle~Rain

Ok but you can get 3% by adding 1/2 TBLS or 1.5% @ 1/4 TBLS....it would only take a few drops to treat your whole face....I can always get jojoba oil to rub in on me w/out having any extra left to need to blot :think: maybe you just used too much?

That's the best I can do....good luck......would it mix with 100% Aloe vera gel you think?

I have no idea if any of the tea tree oil gels are good, but googling "tea tree oil gel" does get quite a few results, including some summaries of studies comparing its effectiveness and side effects against BP (http://www.geocities.com/chadrx/teatree.html for one). I keep seeing hits for something like Jason's Tea Tree Oil Gel, but I can't find the concentration of tea tree oil in it and I suspect it's rather low. I wonder if you can get your hands on any of the tea tree oil 5% gels used in those studies...

Gentle rain, are you suggesting just mixing the Jojoba and TTO permanently in 1 bottle? That would make things alot easier for me when applying. Does it ruin the oils though?

Another problem with the tto/jojoba mixture, my back/neck/chest really aren't oily at all. So I feel like adding the jojoba would only make things worse