Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
grady

Flax Seed

Hi everyone, I am new here, and I just wanted to pass on something I found to help my acne recently...

My mother has been putting flax seed in her cereal for a year or so now and has always mentioned to me how she finds it helps her skin. I've tried so many things over the years including accutane (which helped, but it is coming back), as well as proactiv etc... and was just discouraged that nothing was gonna help so I never bothered to try it.

Well one day curiosity got the best of me and so i pulled a tea spoon out and filled it with flax seed, and ate it... Its not the greatest tasting thing but its not half bad, just kind of bland.

My acne has cleared up well. I used to experience a cyst about once or twice a month that would last a week or so before it would leave, as well as whiteheads frequently, but since I have been taking the Flax everyday it has cleared me up quite well.

I'm not saying this is going to get you 99% cleared up like some other threads do, I'm just saying it helped and might be worth a try for others in my boat. I find that since I've been taking it (3 weeks or so) that I have not had any big breakouts, the cysts have stopped, and I just get the odd small zit or two here and there.

Just thought I'd pass it on...

Flax is beneficial to the skin because of a high concentration of omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3s are essential to the body and are very important in skin health, and guess what? most people are deficient in them! Of course, being deficient in them doesn't mean you'll get acne. Acne prone is acne prone. But, if you have acne, raising your omega-3 intake will most likely help substantially. I know that my skin's texture improved greatly after supplementing with flax oil for a week. I've since taken to using crushed flax seed on my oatmeal in the morning, 2 capsules of fish oil with lunch and a tablespoon of flax oil at night.

It's good stuff.

I just got some the other day havn't tryed them yet cause i didnt know if i was sopposed to just eat them raw like that....how do you chew them there so small?...

so do i need to boil them or just go for it?

You have to grind them up. I bought mine pre-ground at a health food store. You have to be careful with flax seed, keeping it sealed and in a fridge to prevent it from going bad. Ground Flax is great for putting on cereals or oatmeal, but flax oil will work too. Just take 1 tablespoon in the morning and 1 at night. For a week straight and you will start to feel the difference.

yeah, i'm big on the flax seed oil. i'm getting so sick of the taste, but i also apply it topically at night. It really combats the dryness that can come from using bp. i've found it really makes my skin glow and possibly helps with breakouts. and the oil is just so much easier than grinding the seeds!

I think it tastes good, whatcha all talking about.?? :confused:

wow. i really hate the taste!I wish i could like it like you!

can you get this at the regular general store? I definately want to try it.

Ditto. So flax seed and flax oil aren't the same thing?