Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tommm

Baking Soda

Hey,

so here's my thing:

I've been using simple regimen for my active acne and i don't like all harse products,

so i keep it all gentle with a normal cleanser and some SA-gel.

Now I found delna's regime a while ago and I love the egg-white mask.

I really want to start the Baking soda thing too, now:

I'm afraid of the baking soda exfoliation since I can't find any ACV,

is it bad for my skin not to balance the pH and just only use the baking soda?

or are there any other products i can use to balance my skin's pH?

And delna also stated not to skip the Acne Cream Step, is my saliclyc acid moisturizer an Acne cream?

cos im really afraid of BP-gel and i really don't want to break out from BS because of not using the Acne

cream.

Thanks alot for any answers!

i tried a baking soda mask last night for the first time and just loved it. my face has been really red and irritated by being on the clear skin regimen for the past few days and i hoped it would soothe some of that. it did!!! AND made my pores quite a bit smaller and tighter. i didn't have to "balance" the pH afterward, i just rinsed well with lukewarm water and moisturized.

i found this online before i tried it (always do lots of research):

"baking soda helps regulate pHâ€â€keeping a substance neither too acidic (sour tasting), nor too alkaline. Think of pH as a see-saw, with acidic pH tilting one way, alkaline pH tilting the other way, and neutral pH when the see-saw is level. When ARM & HAMMER® Baking Soda comes in contact with either an acidic or an alkaline substance, it's natural effect is to neutralize that extreme pH - tilting the see- saw back toward level. And beyond that, baking soda has the capability to resist further changes in the pH balance - keep the see-saw level--this is called buffering."

i tried a baking soda mask last night for the first time and just loved it. my face has been really red and irritated by being on the clear skin regimen for the past few days and i hoped it would soothe some of that. it did!!! AND made my pores quite a bit smaller and tighter. i didn't have to "balance" the pH afterward, i just rinsed well with lukewarm water and moisturized.

i found this online before i tried it (always do lots of research):

"baking soda helps regulate pHâ€â€keeping a substance neither too acidic (sour tasting), nor too alkaline. Think of pH as a see-saw, with acidic pH tilting one way, alkaline pH tilting the other way, and neutral pH when the see-saw is level. When ARM & HAMMER® Baking Soda comes in contact with either an acidic or an alkaline substance, it's natural effect is to neutralize that extreme pH - tilting the see- saw back toward level. And beyond that, baking soda has the capability to resist further changes in the pH balance - keep the see-saw level--this is called buffering."

Baking soda isn't a great buffer.....it's a horrible thing to apply to your skin. Add a little to water and you get a solution with a pH of about 10. Since the pH of human skin is 4.2-5.6 that alkaminity can really mess things up......this can wreak havoc on you epidermal barrier and irritate the shit out of your skin.....

At a pH of 10 the lipids that make up the epidermal barrier to transepidermal water loss become rigid, which causes the swelling in the stratum corneum, that causes transepidermal water loss.......

Please don't believe everything you read online.....

so are there any ways to balance my skin pH?

Just use products that are on the acidic side (ph 3.0-6.0), or at least non-alkaline (below pH 7). It sucks that the pH of a product isn't listed. Not everyone has access to a pH meter. Litmus paper can be a decent indicator of pH, it's not exact, but it can give you a good idea. Or just avoid alkaline ingredients. Traditional bar soaps are awlays alkaline 8.5-10.5. Syndet bars (like Dove and other cleasning bars) are usually close to neutral (ph 7). Avoid ingredients like sodium hydroxide, triethanolamine (TEA), potassium hydroxide and any surfactant that has MEA, DEA, or TEA on the end of the name (example Cocamide DEA). The DEA stands for diethanolamine and it's alkaline........

Baking soda isn't a great buffer.....it's a horrible thing to apply to your skin. Add a little to water and you get a solution with a pH of about 10. Since the pH of human skin is 4.2-5.6 that alkaminity can really mess things up......this can wreak havoc on you epidermal barrier and irritate the shit out of your skin.....

At a pH of 10 the lipids that make up the epidermal barrier to transepidermal water loss become rigid, which causes the swelling in the stratum corneum, that causes transepidermal water loss.......

Please don't believe everything you read online.....

i can understand you but i doubt a lot of others will. :lol: try to talk in a way most people can understand? :shifty: