Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
longshot

Beta hydroxy v. alpha hydroxy

Does anyone know the difference between beta and alpha hydroxy? Why does Dan recommend alpha hydroxy over beta? Don't they serve the same purpose?

Glycolic acid and Lactic acids are types of alpha hydroxy acids. This type is better at exfoliating dry, dead skin cells.

Salicylic acid is a type of beta hydroxy acid. This is better for exfoliating oily skin cells and better for acne.

hmm what if i have oily skin? then i shud go on the beta hydroxy..

OH dam i just realised something, ive been using ST ives oil/cream cleanser on my back which contains Salicylic acid also a BHA, and it has practically nearly cleared my whole back >.<

man maybe i shud go on BHA with my face, ive been using AHA on my face this whole time

Glycolic Acid kicks Salicylic Acid's ass anyday! You cannot compare the two..it's like comparing an apple to an orange.

People catergorize them into acid group but SA is irritating, drying and not as nowhere near effective as Glycolic Acid.

are you sure? it just seems more better for acne prone skin and i have oily skin, so i would of thought that it be better. and people in the red marks from acne forums section have been applying aspirin masks on their face WHICH IS A TYPE OF BHA and they have gotten good results from it.

i like oranges over apples btw :P

are you sure? it just seems more better for acne prone skin and i have oily skin, so i would of thought that it be better. and people in the red marks from acne forums section have been applying aspirin masks on their face WHICH IS A TYPE OF BHA and they have gotten good results from it.

everyones different, but for me Salicylic Acid was way too irrating for my face, for my back its great, but it kills my face

Yeah but the Aspirin thing is a low dosage of BHA nowhere near as potent as original SA. In my opinion SA works...but then fucks up later on..that is just my personal experience. SA has NEVER kept me clear. GA on the other hand has. :D

I have oily T-zones. My nose is an oil slick...forehead etc

These people say that SA is more absorbed through the skin blah blah it's bullshit. It may be more absorbed through the skin but it sure does not really penetrate and does the job right.

lol :P

So you are ditching the eggmask with lemon..what about the rosehip oil? That does not seem to do anything for your marks right? The alov vera seems to work on many at the redmarks forum have you tried that? I was doing some research and Aloe contains 75 compounds? That explains why it works for so many.

I DUNNO I RLY DUNNO WHAT I SHUD CHANGE IN MY REGIMEN

yea the rosehip oil is okay but doesnt seem to be doing much, if it is then its realyl slow in showing it.

cause it supposedly says that it heals scar tissues and such and improves pigmentation

I DUNNO I RLY DUNNO WHAT I SHUD CHANGE IN MY REGIMEN

yea the rosehip oil is okay but doesnt seem to be doing much, if it is then its realyl slow in showing it.

cause it supposedly says that it heals scar tissues and such and improves pigmentation

How long have you been using it? No improvement?

You know what sux? That all these products do not work on the same acne people...thats what freakin sux. I wish there was one product that can totally work and defy marks lol

ive been using rosehip for like 5 days now

Ahh ok too early to tell then. I hope you can clear your marks soon my friend. But remember try not to get so discouraged and use alot of stuff after the other...thats what fucked me up and took me really long to erase my marks. This shit can make anyone go crazy. :wacko:

i just changed my regimen around a bit, tell me what u think

Kosmea Pure Organic Rose Hip Oil (1 drop on each cheek side) TUESDAY, THURSDAY, AND SATURDAY ONLY

AND

Neutrogena Healthy Skin Face Lotion AHA - MONDAY, WEDNESDAY, FRIDAY, SUNDAY ONLY

i changed that part, and i got rid of the BP part like 3 days ago, if i start to break out, ill go back on it and continue to use BP liek i did before, which i hope i dun have to go back on since BP slows healing down

i just changed my regimen around a bit, tell me what u think

Kosmea Pure Organic Rose Hip Oil (1 drop on each cheek side) TUESDAY, THURSDAY, AND SATURDAY ONLY

AND

Neutrogena Healthy Skin Face Lotion AHA - MONDAY, WEDNESDAY, FRIDAY, SUNDAY ONLY

i changed that part, and i got rid of the BP part like 3 days ago, if i start to break out, ill go back on it and continue to use BP liek i did before, which i hope i dun have to go back on since BP slows healing down

You are using this? :

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp...-PLST-0-SRCH-HV

Try that new regimen out and see how it goes. ;)

Just curious have you thought about using the Rose hip and AHA product one used in the morning only the other at night?

nah im using the non SPF version, so i have to be really careful during the day time since i havent got a SPF moisturizer

and what do u mean by this

ust curious have you thought about using the Rose hip and AHA product one used in the morning only the other at night?

nah im using the non SPF version, so i have to be really careful during the day time since i havent got a SPF moisturizer

ahh ok I didnt know there were a few of them.

and what do u mean by this
ust curious have you thought about using the Rose hip and AHA product one used in the morning only the other at night?

I mean like using the Rosehip like in the mornings only..and the AHA evenings...or the opposite..just sticking with one product for each time zone 7 days a week. That way you can also determine if the product is really helping.

one thing im worrying about.. using all this AHA/BHA/Retin/Differin/Greem Cream etc etc etc

for someone who only wants to smooth skin and 'aint got acne, but an oily face with atm almost no black heads atm (since used abit of differin), WOULD a long period of time using this peeling stuff with a good moisture, can fuck the face up and make it more sensitive to scarring in the future? and does the epidermis gets back to his original thickness after stopping with it? (all the peeling stuff)

the reasons i use this peeling stuff is to smooth my skin, and get out all the dirt inside my pores

a good expert opinion will be really appreciated