Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

It seems a lot of people here have received bad advice and, in some people's opinion, poor treatment from their dermatologist. How come, it's their job so why aren't they better at it? Is it simply because they don't have acne themselves? What qualifies them to be a dermatologist?

I was always trying to get my dermatolgist to give me advice on controlling acne. She was adamant that pills was the only way. Acne.org has exactly the sort of advice I was always fishing for and I'm now clear because of it.

jim

Guest nec77

Maybe that is one of the easier "doctor" fields.

sometimes i think people who have battled for acne for a long amount of time are better for the job than those doctors. it just seems like theyre never really trying to help you.

personally, i think its because they want to use as many products as they can on u and dont really care if u get clear, remember they make money from u while u have acne so why would they want to cure u straight away? why not use a load of different products on u b4 giving u something that will really help u.

of course there is derm's that give a damn and will actually try to help u but i think theres more bad one's then good one's.

sometimes i think people who have battled for acne for a long amount of time are better for the job than those doctors. it just seems like theyre never really trying to help you.

My derm took accutane when she was younger :) She rocks!

The area of medicine that is dermatology, can be a very frustrating one. Conditions such as psoriasis, eczema and acne are just that, conditions. Conditions which are due to some genetic fault. The problem is that no one really knows exactly why acne occurs. There are obvious pointers to why it happens, but research has not been able to determine the mechanisms behind these. As far as acne is concerned, the only real step forward in the last 50 years has been Accutane and that came out 25 years ago. Dermatology isn't exactly in the dark ages, but its still way behind other fields of medicine. Gene mapping will hopefully go some way to advancing it.

Every time i go to the dermatologist i see only Roc and Vichy products.

Honestly,my skin reacts bad on both so i don't use them.

But i have never seen them recommending for example Avene,one of the very few good products on the market.

So i suppose this doctors have contracts with this companies and they must sell the products.

I rather be paranoid than to trust a dermatologist.

I had over 7 opinions and i trust the last one.I am just fine.

People abuse their skin in disperation and doctors take advantage of that.

speaking of dermatologists - i was hoping that someone may be able to recommend a good one in the syndey area?

The best dermatologists out thier for people skin is your self... I think dermatologists are in the field just to make as much money as they can... Personally If i were a derm i would rather cure a person with acne as fast as possible because if you help some one fast then your more then likly to get more customers... My uncle is a derm... Very good one I must say... He told me about BP long long time ago and said if i start getting zits to go and by some bp that isnt to strong 3.0% at the time that what he recommended but he said you should just wash your face softly and moisturize if needed... I wish i did that long time ago and i would have perfect skin... I havent gotten any zits for awhile now.. more then a month I must say... Im no longer using bp cream... I use a bp wash instead and moisturize with an AHA or BHA to get rid of the fucken marks... My skin is so much better now since i have stop BP...

I've been to many derms all over the US and none have helped me permanently. I had to get to the root of the problem all by myself, trying many things and just being patient. I have to admit that I've lost so much faith in conventional medicine. I know so many people who treat doctors as if they were demigods, giving them unquestioning loyalty. One pet peeve of mine is the typical doctor cop-out; if they don't know something they always fall back on 'stress' as the causal factor. If I or a loved one ever gets cancer, I will make sure to seek many opinions. No one doctor is infallible.

holy shit my derm had me in there the first appointment and went 'ah acne, i like acne because its the easiest' or soemthing like taht. I was like WHAT?! I'm pretty sure she meant it was the easiest out of all her appointments because she can just write off some random perscription with out actually diagnosing or anything. Biatch.

My derm now doing the Photodynamic therapy with me is really good though. He has slight acne scarring and said he had terrible acne when he was younger and that he knows how fustrating it is to have derms who don't take it seriously and just write of percriptions and don't care.

I want to revolutionize the dermatology field somehow. It's frustrating to see so many people suffer because of acne and not get the help we need. Though I haven't been to a dermatologist, hearing stories already compel me to be one to change the industry and the field.

The skin is the largest organ on our bodies, not to mention an incredibly complex organ. Just look up the vast amount of dermatological diseases that exist. Chances are you will see things that will make you glad you ONLY have acne. Dermatology is a complex field, and most Dermatologists have to have a Doctorate degree.

Specifically:

North American training program: After graduation from a 4-year college, a 4-year medical school and a year of post graduate training in medicine, surgery or pediatrics, a physician may apply for the competitive graduate dermatology residency training. Following the successful completion of formal residency training (3-4 additional years) and a certifying board examination, dermatologists become Diplomates of the American Board of Dermatology.

I had a hard enough time getting my Bachelor's degree. :D

yeah well whats funny is with all that schooling all certifications etc they are still SHIT at treating acne.

yeah well whats funny is with all that schooling all certifications etc they are still SHIT at treating acne.

lol

On a serious note, some are good, some not. It's alarming tho that so many fall into the 'not' category.

You cannot blame dermatologists for not curing your acne. There is no cure for acne that works for everyone. Accutane (the supposed "cure") did not have lasting results for me at all, however, for some people it is a cure. I have tried so many treatments, but I don't blame my dermatoligist for not having cured me. Everyone's skin is so different, as is everyones acne cause(s), so there is no way for a derm to know what will work for you.

I can't beleive that anyone could be so ignorant to beleive that the derms don't want to cure you because they're making money off of you! If there was some magic cure for acne that the derms are hiding from us, I think it would have been revealed in Canada, as our government spends billions so we don't have to pay for our doctor visits.

To assume that dermatology is an "easy" profession to get into is an absolute joke. Twelve years of university education is probably the hardest thing someone could go through...so if they seem a little burt out, they should be...I am after being in university for five years!

By rubbish dermatologists, we mean those who, for example, prescribe tane without giving even the basic information about it. Or those who keep giving their patients antibiotics even tho they suck big time ...

I know that there's no cure to acne....definitely fully aware of that, considering I've tried everything under the sun to make it go away....

I just wish they could approach you better than they do, and actually, you know, listen to you. You would be surprised how many of them don't. I tell my derm what I've tried and he shoves those same things on me - he never hears a word I say! That's really pitiful. Not listening to your patient. It's pathetic.

well, dermatology is definately the darkest side of medicine. First of all, they know very little about medicine in general, and also they know very little about human being.

They can only prescribe antibiotics, antimycotics and steriods. Sometimes they mix all this stuff.

Believe me guys, one day everything will be very clear. And yes, there is no cure for acne at the moment and nobody understands the pathomechanism behind the disease. It is probably very complicated. But the cause must very very simple, but simply we don't know it, yet.

There is one thing we know, my friends! Go away from civilisation and your acne will disappear! Natural life is the real cure for acne (eat natural food, drink natural water, bath in a river... ) So the cause I am sure has to do something with our civilisation. Maybe it is only one factor...

There is one thing we know, my friends! Go away from civilisation and your acne will disappear! Natural life is the real cure for acne (eat natural food, drink natural water, bath in a river... ) So the cause I am sure has to do something with our civilisation. Maybe it is only one factor...

I don't even believe that. Too many people walk around with no acne in this civilization for that to be the case. Before someone says "everyone is different"....actually, I think there's something inside of us as a group (people that deal with acne, I'm not talking about one or two pimples here and there as a teen) that's perhaps missing or different, but basically similar....and it hasn't been discovered yet. If an actual cure for acne was discovered, it wouldn't matter how we lived or where we lived, IMHO- we would be like those people walking around who just washes their face with soap in the shower and moves along with their day, eating how they want, sleeping when they want, and drinking what they want.

I don't even believe that. Too many people walk around with no acne in this civilization for that to be the case. Before someone says "everyone is different"....actually, I think there's something inside of us as a group (people that deal with acne, I'm not talking about one or two pimples here and there as a teen) that's perhaps missing or different, but basically similar....and it hasn't been discovered yet. If an actual cure for acne was discovered, it wouldn't matter how we lived or where we lived, IMHO- we would be like those people walking around who just washes their face with soap in the shower and moves along with their day, eating how they want, sleeping when they want, and drinking what they want.

Look, we react to environmental changes in a different way. And it is true that the ancestors of acne sufferers had no acne!

Have you ever tried being away from civilisation for at least 2 weeks? Then it is worth trying!

I keep reading that people never suffered from acne in the past and yet I've never read anything that actually proves it.

Being away from civlization? I'm going to have to help my parents out, go to college, and find a job that will help me to do both of those things. I can't just pick up and run away to the middle of nowhere. Two weeks isn't going to matter because I would have to come right back here and pick up where I left off, and I'm sure I would be ready to come back regardless of my skin (which I doubt very much would clear anyway because I wouldn't be very happy being away from everything - I lived in a rural area once. Never again). For all its faults - and there are plenty - I like this civilization.

You are absolutely right! I have no problems with our civilisation, but it is really worth going somewhere just to see and feel the difference. I do not believe that it is just because of stress or other psychological factors.

It is by the way well accepted that acne is a typical disease of our civilisation, and we do something wrong.

In defense of my last dermatologist, she tried to help me. She herself was an acne sufferer, but things that worked for her, didn't work for me. I begged and pleaded with all of my doctors for years to send me to an endocrinologist - they won't see you withoug a referral. I begged and pleaded to run hormonal tests. My dermatologist finally listened to me and the test did prove what I had been trying to prove for years - that I was experiencing early menopause and had a lot of hormonal fluctuations. So based on that, she did try to treat me from a hormonal standpoint and I did get some minor improvement. She was a nice person and she really did seem to pull out all the stops on my behalf, but for me, that evidently was not what would work.

For some of us, prescriptions help, for others, they don't. For some of us, diet changes help, for others, they don't. I'm not about to tell anyone that any one regimen works for every person - hence, you see that everyone posts their regimen with their signatures - we are all different. What has worked for me is probably partly due to many things - getting older, my daily regimen, the cosmetics I use, even a change in the water from moving to a different place. Who can say what the "key" is for each of us, or what the combinations of things is that will work. Even dermatologists can't solve every problem.

In my case, I quit going after 15 years. When it came to the point where my own treatment worked better than the dermatologist, it was time to leave. In my case, I have finally found what works.