Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ceri

TCA CROSS techniques

Hi everyone

I'd really appreciate your advice / feedback on the best techniques to CROSS different types of acne scar, from your experiences.

I've read on the board that an icepick scar is CROSSED with a sharp toothpick in the centre of the scar only, while applying pressure.

Is an icepick scar CROSSED differently to a 'saucer' shaped scar and boxscars?

And if so, how should CROSS be performed for best results on saucer / boxscars?

I have different types of shallow scarring (about 4 saucers on right cheek, shallow icepicks on cheeks, some deeper ice picks on right cheek and shallow boxscars on left jawline and cheek) and I would like to try TCA CROSS.

I am planning to CROSS with 50% TCA once a month and use copper peptide serum nightly between CROSSES to help with healing.

Thanks for your help!

Ceri xx

there shouldnt be any difference in how box scars are crossed, since they are essentially icepicks. tca cross is NOT for saucer/depressed/shallow scars. 50% is not going to be strong enough to give you the results you want. this is best left to finding a doctor who knows what he's doing, this is serious stuff and i only do this with a doctor and he crosses with 90%. i would never do this on my own and cant understand why so many people do. good luck

I believe there's a link about this in the sticky about scar treatments.

Thanks Moonface - I have had a look at the sticky article http://www.cosmeticskin.com/skin-acne4.shtml which is useful but I would still like to know if anyone on the board had used different CROSS techniques for different scars and obtained good results.

there shouldnt be any difference in how box scars are crossed, since they are essentially icepicks. tca cross is NOT for saucer/depressed/shallow scars. 50% is not going to be strong enough to give you the results you want. this is best left to finding a doctor who knows what he's doing, this is serious stuff and i only do this with a doctor and he crosses with 90%. i would never do this on my own and cant understand why so many people do. good luck

Hi ouioui, thanks for ur post, I agree CROSS should not performed by anyone who is unsure what they are doing so I am trying to get all the information I can before making my decision.

From what I've read on the board 50% is a sufficiently high concentration to perform CROSS. The article Moonface refers to states that CROSS is suitable for all types of acne scars:

"Repeated CROSS application can normalize deep rolling and boxcar scars, and a similar result can be achieved for deep icepick scars with higher TCA con­centrations of up to 100%. Because clinical improve­ment is proportional to the number of courses of CROSS treatment, this method is effective for the treatment of all deep acne scar types"

Ceri xx

It's not exactly rocket science when applying a small amount of TCA into the centre of a scar with a sharpened wooden applicator.

daz, no you're right applying a teeny amount of tca on the end of a toothpick into a hole on your face is not rocket science. neither is fire eating, repaving a driveway, taking the engine out of my car, or dermabrasion. doesnt mean i want to attempt those things. people on here have done more harm than good and burned adjacent skin because they dont really know what theyre doing. this is your face. theres no way knowing how potent the acid is at that concentration id ever want to self administer, not to mention its difficult to determine that youre getting the best quality tca over the internet despite what some people claim. when the testimonials and fantastic results are in then maybe id consider it good acid, but it still wouldnt make me want to do it myself. money is no object when it comes to improving the skin on my face. my doctor charges me $50 a session. i know what the korean article says and i will bring this up with him as well next time i see him about if its possible to treat non icepick scars with the cross method. if anyone can speak up about how thats done or how applying a lesser percentage of tca to a depressed/shallow scar (non icepick) is going to do anything for bound down scar tissue id be real interested to hear the facts on that. thanks!

daz, no you're right applying a teeny amount of tca on the end of a toothpick into a hole on your face is not rocket science. neither is fire eating, repaving a driveway, taking the engine out of my car, or dermabrasion. doesnt mean i want to attempt those things. people on here have done more harm than good and burned adjacent skin because they dont really know what theyre doing. this is your face. theres no way knowing how potent the acid is at that concentration id ever want to self administer, not to mention its difficult to determine that youre getting the best quality tca over the internet despite what some people claim. when the testimonials and fantastic results are in then maybe id consider it good acid, but it still wouldnt make me want to do it myself. money is no object when it comes to improving the skin on my face. my doctor charges me $50 a session. i know what the korean article says and i will bring this up with him as well next time i see him about if its possible to treat non icepick scars with the cross method. if anyone can speak up about how thats done or how applying a lesser percentage of tca to a depressed/shallow scar (non icepick) is going to do anything for bound down scar tissue id be real interested to hear the facts on that. thanks!

Of course, that's your prerogative.

It's all about opinions and personal preferences i guess.