Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cmking

Dairy and Acne

Hey everybody, I'm new to this site (just registered today :D ) and let me just say, I think it's a fantastic idea. Anyway, I would just like to share that I have read from many sources that dairy can aggrevate acne because it produces mucus and mucas creates toxins which end up being released thru the skin.

I personally love dairy, but don't love acne, so I stopped eating it. I must say, it's only been 3 days and I haven't any new breakouts. I just started the regimen yesterday, and I'm hoping my skin will clear up and be beautiful again.

Let me just tell you, I'm 24 now and have been dealing with acne since I was in the 5th grade. I too have tried everything. Accutane twice, retin-A (micro, gel, cream), differin, antibiotics, over-the-counter, Glytone and currently Proactive. I must say, I was really happy with Proactive. It worked awesome for about 2 years, but recently it has lost it's efficacy.

Basically, I'm willing to try anything, including cutting out dairy, which is like a staple of my diet. I truly believe acne is caused by a combination of things including stress, hormones, diet and hygene. It can't be denied, though, that diet is a huge contributor to the look of your skin, which reflects your overall health. If your skin is breaking out, something is out of balance.

My goal with my skin is to try to discover what I can do to find that balance. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. I love that we can each share our little discoveries here with each other suffering through the same thing.

Ok guys, that's all I got for now. God bless!

Hey guys. I thought i'd share my no-dairy experience with you. I know with out a doubt that dairy does aggrevate my skin. Just to test it out, I had not eaten any dairy for about a week and I haven't had any new breakouts. Then I had some tacos with sour cream and cheese the other night. The next morning-new breakout. That's all the proof I need to not eat it anymore.

I do agree with you, tobitobi, that dairy with live, active cultures are good for you and even your acne. I consult a Natropath doctor who encourages me to still eat yogurt for that reason as well as it beeing a good source of protein. However, at this point I'm not taking any chances until my "acne beard", as I call it, clears up completely.

One thing I plan on researching is if organic dairy products have the same effect as commercial dairy products. Like I said before, I love dairy and hate to have to cut it out, but will do so for the sake of my skin. I'll keep you posted.

Oh, and by the way, my skin is almost completely clear and I'm lovin it!