Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
black_converse

Food does not cause acne!

okay okay, so u probably dont believe me but its true! u know so asked him today and he said it has never been proven and that i can eat whatever i want and it wouldnt make a difference! everyone says that, atleast all the profesionals! seriously guys, i think its time we should satrt belive them! even if a web site says something, theres ton of bull on the internet and in magazines and books! i think its time we should listen to them and just really eat what we like! i seriously think the reason we think a certain food breaks us out is cuz ppl have siad that it has broke them out and then we say 2 our selves "maybe thats what broke me out too" and then we start believing it. were all like hypmotized! FOOD DOESNT CAUSE ACNE! the real reason we get acne is either ciz its genetics or were just not lucky and food isnt going to change that! didnt dan say that certain foods dont cause acne?

Food does not cause acne, but it may very well aggrevate it. Some foods may make acne worse on some people. Derms tell you this because they make money on the drugs they sell to you. It's a billion dollar industry.

i second that bedrock, it mgiht not be the cause for acne, but it can aggrevate it...when i eat healthy, my pimples are small and less noticeable, but when i dont, lot of time those become huge zits

i second that bedrock, it mgiht not be the cause for acne, but it can aggrevate it...when i eat healthy, my pimples are small and less noticeable, but when i dont, lot of time those become huge zits

you imagine things.

okay okay, so u probably dont believe me but its true! u know so asked him today and he said it has never been proven and that i can eat whatever i want and it wouldnt make a difference! everyone says that, atleast all the profesionals! seriously guys, i think its time we should satrt belive them! even if a web site says something, theres ton of bull on the internet and in magazines and books! i think its time we should listen to them and just really eat what we like! i seriously think the reason we think a certain food breaks us out is cuz ppl have siad that it has broke them out and then we say 2 our selves "maybe thats what broke me out too" and then we start believing it. were all like hypmotized! FOOD DOESNT CAUSE ACNE! the real reason we get acne is either ciz its genetics or were just not lucky and food isnt going to change that! didnt dan say that certain foods dont cause acne?

This is the lamest post of the year.

Hey, I got an idea. Ask a bookie if gambling is immoral?

We can guess his answer. Just as we can guess what a PERSCRIPTION SELLER (oops, I meant dermatologist. Sometimes I get my terms mixed up) if PERSCRIPTIONS are good or if diet is the best way to clear skin.

I'm guessing his answer will be, "use drugs!" He is not exactly unbiased.

If you know anything about medicine then you know that doctor's study pathology and really HAVE NO CLUE on prevention. They spend years studying how to treat problems that arise. We've been through this so many times that this will be the last time I respond to one of these retarded posts.

It really is an uneducated response to say there is no connection. We all know there are NO PROVEN STUDIES, etc. And there never will be.

But last time I checked, I don't need a study to tell me something is having a positive effect on my health and my skin.

Here, do my liver killing experiment and see if you skin remains the same:

Drink a six pack of beer before bed every night. Follow that with pizza or fast food for high saturated fats. Top that with a nice 44 oz cola to really get some refined carbs in there! Presto.

If you do that for 3 months and your skin doesn't get worse I will officially buy you all the food/money you spent and throw in five grand for your troubles.

Obviously dermatologists will tell you that diet does not affect acne; as someone already pointed out, they're interested in making money. I think some of you who deny the acne/diet correlation are allowing your desires to intrude on your reasons for belief. It's convenient to deny this correlation; here, holding the belief that food will not exacerbate acne has the benefit of your continued pleasure in eating greasy foods, fast foods, chocolates, and so on.

There's plenty of misinformation on this board regarding diet, and I'm certainly no expert - I go through my own trial and error episodes and find out what foods cause acne in ME.

Ironic, because after my second round of accutane I went back to my derm to ask for a third (stupid me), he actually told me that some of his derm buddies strongly suspected that dairy was a culprit in acne. He then suggested that I actually try to eliminate dairy for a good while and see what happens. That was years ago, and I totally scoffed at the diet hypothesis back then (plus, I really didn't know enough to be able to have a complete diet or even eliminate my currently suspected culprits completely)

I realize (from a previous post of yours asking what a carbohydrate is) that you still probably have quite a bit to learn about nutrition. Chances are that you would need to equip yourself with some better knowledge about nutrtion before you could really try some of the things being talked about here by people like SweetJade.

Plus, it seems to me that a lot of the diet/acne success stories seem to come from people who are in their twenties or older. It could very well be that teens cannot control acne to the same extent as older people (either for hormonal reasons, or for financial reasons, etc). I don't know.

Thge shitty thing about diet-acne connection is that you have to take responsibility for your acne and health. If you follow that logic then you have to conclude that I'm to blame for my pimples. Something I do causes acne. Genes and bad luck (as ridiculous as a reason they are) are en easy exit. So you can just keep doing what you've been always doing and get the same results you've been always getting. It's nice to sit still, but it takes effort and dedication to claim responsibility and do something about things.

they probably havent observed enough patients who experience acne affected by diet. me for example, ate ice cream 2 days ago, broke out with 4 huge pimples on the right side of my face. milk, ice cream, and coffee with milk is what i fear.

truth and only truth i can think of now:

people react differently to various foods;

some people can eat the most greasy thing ever made all their life and never break out, meanwhile others who drink a dime drop of milk ( me, a bit exaggerated) break out like a world war on their face.

*amateur talking, dont flame

Drink a six pack of beer before bed every night. Follow that with pizza or fast food for high saturated fats. Top that with a nice 44 oz cola to really get some refined carbs in there! Presto.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.... i'd kill to do that every night :lol: i mean not a six pack but a couple of beers + some soulf food kfc and coke yes cokeeeeeeeeeee :shhh: ... uh, unhealthy food and drinks are the best :shifty: but that's all just a fantasy :(

Guest Grow_To_Overthrow

omg ive been living a lie....back to the topicals

:lol: It's not even worth explaining. :D

Guest Grow_To_Overthrow

Leading Geographers once believed this here Earth to be flat. ;)

Leading Geographers once believed this here Earth to be flat. ;)

I pity these derms, to be honest. They are brainwashed in school. Most folks here know more about the root causes of acne and the cure than most derms and medical doctors.

I was told the same thing by derms when I was on anitbiotics for 11 years and had liver damage, worsening acne, etc......

Sheesh. Unless they are open to other ways of thinking, I wouldn't trust one for all the money in the world. I cannot imagine that they still prescribe antibiotics to young kids for indefinite periods of time.....to think that with all that we know about candida, that they are still screwing people up SO BAD...even NOW...with all we know about bacerial floral imbalances.....I just have to shake my head.

It's one of the biggest scams to date. :mad:

I don't know about any one else but for me food does effect me. I can't eat nuts or pork products without getting big,painful zits on my neck. It may not bother anyone else but for me it sure does! And I know this because I tried this test out myself - eat pork or nuts and in 2 weeks for sure I will break out on my neck! So all are different and sometimes I don't think derms or dr's know jack!!!!!! some do, some don't. Just me 2 cents.

Even IF diet does not cause acne, I believe we were put on this earth with everything we need to feel good and look good. I don't think accutane grows on trees. Maybe if we look harder, we can find super-food that cures acne. Maybe after they're done detroying amazon jungle in brazil, they will discover some berry that heals everything. Until then, Im sticking to natural stuff, since I dont know long-term effects of the antibiotics and such, I dont feel like being a lab rat either.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.... i'd kill to do that every night :lol: i mean not a six pack but a couple of beers + some soulf food kfc and coke yes cokeeeeeeeeeee :shhh: ... uh, unhealthy food and drinks are the best :shifty: but that's all just a fantasy :(

Ha I did that all through college. I did far wose than that to my body as a teenager, and I never had adolecent acne. I never really had an acne problem in college either. Just a zit or two around my period. I actually had great skin. When I was about 20 I started working out again, and eating healthy. No change in my very mild acne. I kept up with a healthy diet for a few years.....lots of fruit and veggies, little red meat, lots of fish (mostly small fatty fish), no cooking with unsaturated oils. My body looked amazing and my skin did have a healthy glow to it......butI still got my one or two zits a month....

When I was 23 I went through something that was very stressful and traumatic. For the first time in my life I had begun to develop moderate then severe acne....as sign something wasn't quite right with my body.....due to the acute stress I was under for about 8 months....

For me it wasn't my diet, but it was acute stress that caused my acne. My derm said it's impossible for stress to cause acne....and just tried pushed some antibiotics on me......Bullshit....

There are studies that show how diet can influence skin in general. I don't discount the ability for someone's diet to influence their skin.....And there are actually derms out there that don't completely discount the diet/acne connection......

However....I do eat what I consider to be a healthy diet. I recently quit all of my topicals and came off the pill (for the fiest time in four years). At first my skin looked amazing....no redness, no flakes, no fine lines....but at three weeks in.....it's becoming a battlefeild between my immune system and the poor bacteria stuck in my pores.... :(

So that underlying cause of my acne is still there, and may be with me the rest of my life......It's been 5 months since that source of stress (actually complete and utter terror) has been removed from my life, and yet I'm still breaking out......

Bottom line....don't trust what a derm tells you without doing a little research or your own (and don't trust everything you read on the internet either)....some derms are far more open minded than others....Just because they went to medical school it doesn't mean they know everything.....

I think there's a good chance that if someone had a flawless diet and lifestyle from the day they were born, they wouldn't get acne even if it were in their genes.

A good diet won't necessarily cure acne because damage has already been done. That's why diet PLUS internal cleansing does cure many people's acne.

Here's what a recent systematic review of acne "myths" found:

A systematic review of the evidence for ‘myths and misconceptions’ in acne management: diet, face-

washing and sunlight

Parker Magina, Dimity Ponda, Wayne Smithb and Alan Watsonc

a Discipline of General Practice, University of Newcastle, New South Wales, b Centre for Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, University of Newcastle, New South Wales, and c Department of Dermatology, Royal Newcastle Hospital, Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia

Email: [email protected]

Background. Lay perceptions that diet, hygiene and sunlight exposure are strongly associated with acne causation and exacerbation are common but at variance with the consensus of current dermatological opinion.

Objectives. The objective of this study was to carry out a review of the literature to assess the evidence for diet, face-washing and sunlight exposure in acne management.

Methods. Original studies were identified by searches of the Medline, EMBASE, AMED (Allied and Complementary Medicine), CINAHL, Cochrane, and DARE databases. Methodological information was extracted from identified articles but, given the paucity of high quality studies found, no studies were excluded from the review on methodological grounds.

Results. Given the prevalence of lay perceptions, and the confidence of dermatological opinion in rebutting these perceptions as myths and misconceptions, surprisingly little evidence exists for the efficacy or lack of efficacy of dietary factors, face-washing and sunlight exposure in the management of acne. Much of the available evidence has methodological limitations.

Conclusions. Based on the present state of evidence, clinicians cannot be didactic in their recommendations regarding diet, hygiene and face-washing, and sunlight to patients with acne. Advice should be individualized, and both clinician and patient cognizant of its limitations.

Unquote

Or, to put it in real world words: nobody really knows if diet has an effect for general acne sufferers--and derms should stop claiming they know better. NOTHING has been proven scientifically. (Except for e.g. iodine and acne connection--or maybe carbs and acne with PCOS patients.)

The thing is - a "flawless" lifestyle is not feasible for people, nor is it enjoyable. It's one thing to take care of yourself the best you can, and another to make your life revolve around living that "flawless" lifestyle.

Derms....my last derm didn't do much of anything for me. He just said the same old about my body changing & hormones and that it will go away. When I first saw him, he mentioned cutting back on soda & dairy. Well, I cut soda out about 6 years ago, and dairy eventually followed. After suffering a bad stress related breakout last year, I tried dieting more seriously. My acne remained through it all. I've had it for 10+ years, and it's never changed no matter what I do or try. It's mild, occasionally going into the moderate range, though not for long periods of time. It will flare up when I'm stressed and sometimes it will flare up for no reason I can ascertain (it did it while I was doing the diet thing as well).

I don't go to a derm now and I've quit using topicals and medications. I've also let go of trying to find the cause. The past couple of weeks I've been using a bit of make-up here and there and have done a little better of a job at putting it out of mind instead of worrying about it and what causes it all the time. It's exhausting and I have other things I'd like to do with my time.

If it doesn't vanish in a year or two, I'll be inclined to believe my acne is pyschologically related more than anything else. I could make a good argument for it, knowing what I know about myself.