Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mikewilliams1

Is oily skin good or bad for the face?

it's not the oil you produce that causes pimples.

that oil is a natural moisturizer. so it's good for the skin.

cherish it, haha, you'll thank it when you get older.

Having skin that's on the oily side is not a bad thing. My mother had oily skin well into her fifties, but looks like she's in her thirties (poor thing can't even enjoy it though.....she's in a nursing home... :( ). My mother always had slightly oily skin, but never had acne.

A little oil's okay......I think that once the sebaceous glands enlarge and produce sebum in dramatic excess, then it can become a problem. That being said....excessively oily skin is bad for your skin....why??

Because when the sebocytes proliferate rapidly they produce triglycerides that are often defecient in linolelic acid and contains higher concentrations of oleic acid. This not only can increase the viscosity of the sebum, it can also wreak havoc on the proliferation and desqumation of the keratinocytes. Why??

Because linoleic acid is esterfied at the w-hydroxyl postion on the acylceramides and acylglucosylceramides, which are the saturated sphingolipids that make up the skin's lipid barrier. If there is a higher concentration of oleic acid the lipid barrier lipids can substitute oleic acid at the w-hydroxyl postion. How is this a problem?

The oleic acid ester linkage to the ceramides is not properly stereochemically configured to be hydroyzed by a certain lipoxygenase enzyme, which is neccessary for the production of mediators of the keratinization and desquamtion processes.....the result is keratinocytes that are larger and don't desquamte properly, something that is implicated in the formation of comedoes.....There have actually been studies on the effects of topically applied oleic acid to skin....the results were not pretty.....

During puberty the excess andogens cause a signifigant increase in sebum production....This is why some people only experience acne as teenagers. The flood of androgenic hormones is what causes changes in vellus hair folllicles on the body and face. This is why we grow pubic hair, and underarm hair. This is why boys grow facial hair. This is also what causes the vellus follicles of the face to become sebaceous follicles. Our follicles are under great influence of the androgens.....once the hormone surge of puberty is complete many people with acne clear up.....

This doesn't happen for everyone, and some peoples skin remains in this state of excessive sebum production.....I am one of them..... I'd do anything to get rid of this damn oil.....

Now, honestly, is there anything sexier than a good biochemistry lecture? Or is that just me?

I'm one hot chemist!!! :lol:

I have to say that it is GREAT for only one reason....it keeps you looking young in the end. I'm 30 and I always get mistaken for 20. Everyone freaks out when they find out how old I am. I hate oil on my skin because it looks nasty and causes acne, but when your older it's a blessing.

I have to say that it is GREAT for only one reason....it keeps you looking young in the end. I'm 30 and I always get mistaken for 20. Everyone freaks out when they find out how old I am. I hate oil on my skin because it looks nasty and causes acne, but when your older it's a blessing.

For my mother it was a blessing. She has oily skin well into her fifties and lloks like she's still in her thirties. She never had acne though....she's had a rouge sebaceous cyst from time to time, that she had sugically extracted.....but she only had a few pimples her entire life.......he big breakout came at age 51, with menopause...a whopping three pimples at once.....

For me it's far from a blessing.....my oil causes my acne...

It's true I look way yonger than I really am. I'm 24, and people think I'm still in highscool. I've been mistaken for being as young as 14 (about once a week that happens).....

But, unlike my mother I have acne. It's usually mild, but in the last year it becames severe....to the point of it scarring.....Those scars are permenant. They will be with me until I'm an old lady. The more time goes by and the more severe my acne becomes.....the more scars I'll have......

So I may look young when I'm older......but I'll have a face full of acne scars too......I'd rather the wrinkles then the scars.......

Guest funky_monkey

I know, right!

Labgirl freaking rocks! :wub::D

I never understand and I've got a BSc! :lol:

As the mighty Jennifer Aniston once said in a L'oreal advertisement, 'Here's the science bit.......concentrate!'

I have very oily skin...I'm always told I'm lucky because I'll still look younger as I get older. I'm another one that's in their twenties and still has people guess that she's in high school. I don't look my age, I haven't really changed any since I was about fifteen.

If my parents are any indication, I may be like my dad. He also has oily skin (and he had acne until he was in his twenties)...his skin looks good for his age. He doesn't have many wrinkles. My mom has dry skin - no oil whatsoever - and she looks older than him, though she's younger than he is.

Oily skin is attractive. Why do you think so many make ups are designed for a 'dewy' finish? Young fertile people have oil on the skin. Old ladies have the dry kind. Don't dry out your skin as this will not benefit your appearance.

labgirl: are you a scientist? ;)

i have very oily skin and have been on tane twice in the past couple years. it worked while i was on it, but after a month of finishing each course the oil has come back.

not sure if i should try another round of tane or should i try spirolactane??

~Amy

labgirl: are you a scientist? ;)

i have very oily skin and have been on tane twice in the past couple years. it worked while i was on it, but after a month of finishing each course the oil has come back.

not sure if i should try another round of tane or should i try spirolactane??

~Amy

do you have acne too, or just hella oily skin?

Oily skin is attractive. Why do you think so many make ups are designed for a 'dewy' finish? Young fertile people have oil on the skin. Old ladies have the dry kind. Don't dry out your skin as this will not benefit your appearance.

Slightly oily skin is not a bad thing....it does give the skin a healthy dewy finish.....and oilier skin tends to look younger longer......

But excessive oil production (hyperseborrhea) isn't attractive. My skin is an oils slick ten minutes after washing.....I can strip my skin with alcohol or acetone, and fifteen minuters later, my nose is covered in sebum....they start out as little droplets that get bigger, then they spread out as they wet the surface of my stratum corneum....covering my nose in oil......eventually my forehead and chin catch up followed by my cheeks.......

Hyperseborrhea can lead to acne, sometimes severe acne that scars, and it leads to other issues like surface dryness (Read my above post), and seborrheic dermatitis (Oh, that's what those yellow itchy crusty things are by my nose.... :wall: )....

I would love to get rid of this oil.......permanently.......

I'm glad my skin isn't dry, but the oil isn't too attractive when you have someone ask you if you're sweating, or why your face is so shiny. I've gotten those questions and I hate it.

mild acne. currently i have 1 big whitehead and a couple little ones. and i have large pores and blackheads.

i'd say my skin is 30% less oily now than pre-tane, but i cant stand it. when i was on tane i could leave the house for a good 8-9 hours at a time and not worry about looking like i stuck my head in vegetable oil, now, i limit my out-of-the-house activities to keep everything under 3 hours. :confused: gawd i miss being on tane. i finished my last course in about october i believe.

should i take a third course ASAP? like would that maximize my chances of permanately clear skin? or is it ok to wait til august? (i'd like to start tane in august cause im going to school in the fall and want to be matte like everyone else).

~Amy

mild acne. currently i have 1 big whitehead and a couple little ones. and i have large pores and blackheads.

i'd say my skin is 30% less oily now than pre-tane, but i cant stand it. when i was on tane i could leave the house for a good 8-9 hours at a time and not worry about looking like i stuck my head in vegetable oil, now, i limit my out-of-the-house activities to keep everything under 3 hours. :confused: gawd i miss being on tane. i finished my last course in about october i believe.

should i take a third course ASAP? like would that maximize my chances of permanately clear skin? or is it ok to wait til august? (i'd like to start tane in august cause im going to school in the fall and want to be matte like everyone else).

~Amy

I'd ask about spiro. 'Tane doesnt' seem to be giving you the long-term results you want, and spiro would be a treatment you could use for longer periods of time.

i havent had any cysts though since being on tane. i used to get a lot one cyst a month.

the problem with spiro is that i'd have to take it for 30 years (im 23 now). and it has side effects as well and i dunno how i'll respond to it. at least with tane i know what to expect.

maybe a microdose of tane would be more up my alley? so i could take it for longer periods of time?

~Amy

yup Im almost 2 months post tane and I don't get that excessive amount of oil production on my nose or on my forehead just the pore size amounts

It does wonders for your skin

oily skin is great if you're older! I'm turning 26 in 3 weeks, and people mistake me for a teenager all the time! Even when I'm barhopping and dressed up all nice, I still get about 23 or 24 at the most. So that part is a blessing!!!! It's nice to look on the bright side of things

Supposedly oil makes your skin healthier IN THE LONG RUN.

Now though, I hope as hell the oil would just go away.. please...

Or make the world suddenly shortage on oil so people like us can become valuable /sarcasm

Slightly oily skin is not a bad thing....it does give the skin a healthy dewy finish.....and oilier skin tends to look younger longer......

But excessive oil production (hyperseborrhea) isn't attractive. My skin is an oils slick ten minutes after washing.....I can strip my skin with alcohol or acetone, and fifteen minuters later, my nose is covered in sebum....they start out as little droplets that get bigger, then they spread out as they wet the surface of my stratum corneum....covering my nose in oil......eventually my forehead and chin catch up followed by my cheeks.......

Hyperseborrhea can lead to acne, sometimes severe acne that scars, and it leads to other issues like surface dryness (Read my above post), and seborrheic dermatitis (Oh, that's what those yellow itchy crusty things are by my nose.... :wall: )...

I would love to get rid of this oil.......permanently.......

so what causes acne? how come i have oily skin and i never had acne .. only epidermis cysts or sebeacous cysts... and sometimes blackheads, and whiteheads once 2 months, not acne...

i mean im 23 years old with oily skin, and i dont have acne, but got yuckies 12 of those sebecous cysts..

i see people without oily skin and get acne

Oily? How oily? IMHO, a little oily is better than dry. No wrinkles! A lot oily...potential for clogged pores & acne. Having said that, I'm alot oily, but I'm 46, & last week a woman I just met told me she thought I was 30! Days like make up for all the angst about having the acne.