Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SweetJade1980

Got HORMONAL Acne? Reading this might help

A year ago, I didn't know what I know now, but I wish that I had. Certainly six, let alone 3 months ago, I didn't know, nor cared how topicals or certain medications worked. I was just glad that they did. Yet, the more I learned, the more connections I found, and the more questions I needed to have answered. As a result, I realized that not only is it important to know the Why's & How's of acne, but also the mechanisms of successful treatment methods. Since we don't have the FINAL answer in regards to acne, we can learn to work our way backward (treatment to cause) by studying what helps us control, prevent or eliminate our breakouts. So, would everyone agree with me that most definitions of ACNE state that it's a condition of having clogged pores or follicles caused by a combination of the factors below?

Bacteria (P. Acnes or some other)

Excess Sebum

Skin cell proliferation (overgrowth of skin cells)

Hyperkertinization (build up of skin cells, poor skin cell shedding)

Poor Desquamation (skin cell shedding, exfoilation)

Inflammation

Hormones (specifically DHT converted in the sebaceous follicles)

Now, if I left something out please let me know. Otherwise, this would explain why there are a variety of acne treatments on the market. They aim to stop one or more aspects of the above problem either topically or internally. As such, that is why different methods work better for certain people than for others. In truth, it really does depend on what your own genetic factors are when it comes to treating your acne problem.

Now if you read various research articles, other's postings, or saw my post Accutane-Diet post then you already know that acne is always hormonal. Whether you are exhibiting an allergic response, have dry skin, or extreme hormonal imbalance, there are still hormones, enzymes, vitamins (cofactors), etc that are responsible for the proper maintainence and health of your skin. If these are disturbed in some way, then a variety of skin problems will result, such as rosacea, eczema, psoriasis, keratosis pilaris, dandruff, pseudofolliculitis (ingrown hairs) etc. So, how many of you have more than 1 type of skin problem (includes hair, nails, and hyperpigmentation)? I certainly do...

This made me realize that while a lot of you feel that sebum is the problem, when you think about those that have the above skin disorders, someone with acne that has DRY skin ,or someone that's extremely oily with no acne, sebum can't possibly be the MAIN culprit, but it can contribute. When you consider that everyone has P.Acnes bacteria on the skin, that particular form of bacteria can't be the culprit either, but it may also contribute. Yet, I absoultely believe that either through their own existence or our bodies trying to attack them, that there are various forms of bacteria that will indeed cause, at the very least, an inflammatory response.

Therefore, that only leaves Hyperkeritinization / reduced Desquatmation and Skin Cell Proliferation as the "cause". Why? Well, because of all the dead skin building up due to poor exfoilation is the reason you got the inflammed, clogged oil & bacteria filled pores in the first place. Indeed, these problems right here are the reason why The Regimen and the "Acne Cure" have worked so well for many of us. So as you can see, there's not always a need to use expensive prescriptions. Yet, if you've done enough research on your favorite acne medications or other treatments, you should have found that the more POPULAR and MOST EFFECTIVE do a combination or ALL of the following:

Prevent DHT conversion--which enoucrages desquamtion, prevents hyperkeritinization, skin cell proliferation, EXCESS sebum production, and inflammation.

Decrease or absorb sebum ---which could prevent hyperkeritinization and inflammation

Exfoliate --- prevents hyperkeritinization, encourages desqaumation, dissovles sebum oil, reduces inflammation

Kill bacteria--- which prevents inflammation

Reduce or prevent Inflammation

Great, so Antibacterial agents (antibiotics, anti-inflammatories, benzoyl peroxide, tea tree oil) reduce inflammation and Exfoilants (Acids, AHA, BHA, sulfur) encourage healthy skin cell turnover, yet that doesn't help us get to the deeper source of our problems. If using the above allows you to control your acne problem then you can stop reading now. Yet, if your acne keeps coming back and you breakout worse during certain seasons of the year, then you may want to keep reading.

If you want to go for the ULTIMATE acne treatment, you want to pick the one that is going to prevent DHT in the follicles. Now in case some of you aren't familar, DHT stands for 5-alpha-dihydrotestosterone. This is the most produced and most potent form of male hormone in our bodies and the cause of several hormonal disorders such as, acne, hirsuitism, hair loss, and prostate problems. With the exception of removing your reproductive organs and adrenal glands there is NO way you can ELIMINATE all DHT! So please don't even start to obsess over it ;-) However, there are plenty of, hence the arguing and confusion, ways we can reduce and even "normalize" the levels in our system.

So the goal here is to inhibit the conversion of DHT in our system. As far I as know, there are around 5 - 6 enzymes that are responsible for the conversion of testosterone into this form of "super" testosterone. Usually a drug hits 1 or 2 of these enzymes, like 5-alpha reductase. Since DHT can effect hair follicles, sebum glands, and other tissues in the body, some drugs work better than others based on gender, genetic factors, and your target area. Of course, diet, exercise, and/or supplements can do the same thing and can be equally confusing. ;-)

One of these versatile DHT inhibitor drugs is Spironolactone. I'm sure you've heard women talk about it, but since we use it internally men usually don't get the opportunity to reap the rewards. This drug can and HAS been used by both men and women since it's actually a diuretic, used in the the treatment of heart disease, high blood pressure, and has been used to treat hormonal acne for over 20 years. Now, believe it or not, it has been utilized in a TOPICAL form (5% cream or 2% solution) for just as long.

http://www.minoxidil.com/topical.htm (sells orderless solution)

http://www.hairsite.com/o-spironolactone.htm

http://www.anagen.net/spiroin.htm (gives the recipe for making your own spiro solution...2% instead of the 5% gel though)

http://www.wholesalehairproducts.com/ (finally a place to purchase, are they legit?

Unfortunately. while the results seemed rather favorable you can only purchase this on hairloss websites or make your own solution. Since this drug is suppose to be safe and effective for males (and females), even with body acne, I am perplexed as to why it's not very popular. It's effectiveness was proven for many years ago and here's what was found: [link=www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=2972662&dopt=Abstract]www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_ uids=2972662&dopt=Abstract[/link] [link=www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=2150020&dopt=Abstract]www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_ uids=2150020&dopt=Abstract[/link]

So like I mentioned above, there are more than one choice when it comes to DHT inhibitors. Since they don't inhibit all the possible enzymes that are used to convert DHT, that's probably why the most severe or sensitive of acne sufferers require a combination or the most "drastic" (i.e. accutane, diet) of methods to achieve clear skin. Below is a list of mainly DIRECT Anti-Androgens and I'm sure you'll recognize a few. ;-)

TOPICAL:

Finasteride (Proscar, Propecia)

Aldactone (Spironolactone)

Azelex (Azeliac Acid)

Retiniods-

RetinA (Tretinoin...13-cis retinoic acid)

Tazorac (Tazoratene)

Differin (Adapalene, retinoid mimicer)

Vitamin A (Retinol)

ORAL

Finasteride (Proscar, Propecia)

Aldactone (Spironolactone)

Avodart (Dutasteride)

Flutamide (Eulexin, Drogenil)

Diane 35 - (contains cyproterone acetate)

Accutane (Isotretinoin...13-cis retinoic acid)

NATURAL ALTERNATIVES (topical and/or oral):

Controlled Diet

Zinc (must be used with B6)

Saw Palmetto

Nettle

Beta SitoSterol

Vitamin A (requires other vitamins and minerals)

EFAs Blend (Essential Fatty Acids - Fish Oils, Omega 3-6-9)

To tell the truth, there are actually more of them than these above. These are what somewhat directly do this, but if you were to take other supplements or medications, you would be able to indirectly effect your level of DHT. That's why you hear some of us raving about taking B5, ALA (alpha lipoic acid), Digestive Enzymes, Thyroid meds, Avandia, Prednisone, Birth Control pills, etc. There's definately more than one way to treat hormonal imbalance. The trick is knowing what the imbalance is inside of YOU and then proceeding to treat it properly.

Please remember, unless you grow out of acne, you will ALWAYS have to follow your successful treatment method. Some of these Anti-androgens are more effective than others and depending on your own "blue print", you may need something that is the strongest, the WEAKEST, or a combination of the two, to solve your problems. Some of these are completely safe and "easier" to follow than others. Others produce painful, irritating, or harmful side effects. While others may throw our other vitamins & nutrients out of psync. Fortunately, some of these can be remedied by taking a good multivitamin, fiber supplement, or detoxing to correct any imbalances, but what about the others?

Since they ALL do the same thing it really is up to you, but don't think that a Pill is MORE powerful than some dietary change, because for some of us it is the other way around. ;-) Through my own ordeals I've learned that there is a treatment or combination that is the BEST one for you and your body will let you know if you made the right choice. So think about what your skin concerns are and then chose a product or method that is going to help you eliminate this problem. If it's not right, you'll keep breaking out, so keep testing various methods until you find the one (or combination) that helps you the most, better yet, gets you completely clear. =)

Good luck

congratulations, i think you are hitting the nail on the head, this is precisely the problem that should be, being worked on by acne research scientists. It is exactly the problem that i have been researching for the last 3-5 years (i have been researching acne for 8 years), and i have come to the same conclusion as 'sweetjade1980'...

the 'solution' to acne is multi-layered, using accutane is like sealing up a leaking roof with plastic bags. The leak will stop (for a while) but because you haven't fixed the root cause of the leak there is no way of knowing if or when the leak will return.

However i still feel as though although you are on the right tracks that there is something else that we've missed as a causative agent. Let me briefly explain...

inflammation...this can be blocked my taking NSAIDS like ibruprofen, low dose, or more naturally a combination of fish oils, and evening primrose. both of which block the pro-inflammatory prostaglandins.

DHT, formation can be reduced to some extent by taking high dose zn (picolinate or glutamate), as well as high dose omega 3 and 6

and we all know the things that we can do to prevent the other 'causes' you've mentioned, i.e p. acnes, excess sebum, hyperketitinization, etc etc.

so why, even still if we do all these things does acne still return, now to say that it is all due to DHT, (in my opinion) is simply wrong, (although i do agree that it plays a major causal role)... this is because although as you have pointed out spironolactone is affective, i still think that the measures that i have mentioned (Zn etc) will inhibit the conversion enzymes (esp 5-alpha red...which is the main such conversion enzyme).

I believe this because DHT, (as opposed to simple testosterone) is what stimulates the seb glands to enlarge and produce so much sebum. So why is it that a significant few of acne sufferers (including severe ones) have relatively dry skin, as compared to the 'average' none acne suffer.

This i deduce to mean that DHT, although important can not be the major causative factor, which obviously is our genes. But negating that (as there is nothing we can do about that), i am at a loss as to what else may be the cause...

the most interesting one that i have discovered in recent months is the consumption of what is known as 'dirty protein' i am sure many of you will have heard of this. The theory is that the protien is altered at the molecular (amino acid) level, during processing and cooking to make it much less useful to our bodies.

Thus some is shifted to our skin which then attracts water (by simple osmosis) and this causes the pores to close, then the excess sebum (due to excess DHT, which itself is due to genes) causes the pore to block, this sebum block is infested with p. acnes, which converts the fatty acids into irritating agents which cause a 'hyper-immune responce' by many front line members. Such as monocytes and neutrophils, these produce free radicals to kill the bacteria

and in turn increase the pus level.

They also release prostaglandins which dilate the blood vessels to 'make the spot red'. Et viola...a spot.

i would very much like to hear your views on any other causative agent (other than DHT), or why you think DHT is in fact the main cause, 'sweetjade'... as reading your post i think insight from you would be helpful. Or anyone else that may want to comment...I do believe we are on to something here and it is through pooling our minds and infomation that we may be able to come to a solution. Remember it is us the sufferers that know best, not some scientist in a white coat mixing chemicals, that could wipe out half of london.

Great info. I'm surprised there isn't more of a focus on the hormonal aspects of acne as opposed to others. I suffered from severe hormonal acne (the kind that covers your chin and jawline) and no topical medications would clear it up. I did some research and saw that this type of acne occurred because of hormonal imbalances (and because of my lack of period at age 19, I realized my hormones had to be off). I read somewhere about zinc deficiency causing hormonal imbalance so in my efforts, I began taking zinc supplements everyday. About 3 weeks later I not only began getting a regular period, but I also noticed my acne was rapidly clearing up. Because of my success with this, I really encourage people to look at what might be going wrong internally and hormonally.

Wow, thread necromancy. I am going to move this thread to the hormonal treatments subforum.

Guest missyjean130

This is an old thread but it's a great description for the basics of acne!

The skin shedding section is what I find most helpful. I remember last year I saw this derm who told me not to use exfoliation methods and just use retin-A,I knew she was full of crap but I did what she said to humor her...I broke out HORRIBLY. I dry my face by wiping with extra soft cotton rounds and do mild peels because my skin sheds quite a bit each day and I need to be severe in removing that dead skin build up,it makes my skin MUCH smoother and healthier. Just need to use adequate sun protection =D

On the hormonal note, I've been on many different types of birth control and I don't think it affected my acne to a noticeable degree, but I do regret not doing more with herbal stuff as well. Acne in my family seems to be genetic but I don't doubt the genes affect our hormones and that's what causes us to break out...plus we DO grow out of it in our early 20's(like,completely eradicated) so that's a dead giveaway of it being a hormonal issue no?

I'm a 25 yr old asian male with slightly tan skin, I've had bad acne in my teens and was on accutane for that. But now in my 20's I have been dealing with bad cystic acne localized around my mouth and chin area for years. It's only gotten worse as I've aged and I've been trying practically everything and thought I'd share what I've learned.

Things that have not worked that well:

Saw Palmetto complex (includes Zinc and B6) - known to suppress DHT, Ive been taking 160mg pills twice a day for about 2-3 months. There has been noticeable decrease in libido so it certainly has some effect on a hormonal level. In terms of preventing my acne, the results from this have been quite limited. I have not noticed any negative effects, and I'm sure the zinc is beneficial, so I will continue taking it. However, this does not appear to be a powerful enough DHT blocker, at least for me.

Omega 3 supplements - I tried these pills for a few days but noticed an incredible increase in the oiliness of my skin. My face was practically dripping with oil hours after taking 1 pill. I feared this would make my acne worse so I did not continue. Now that it is winter and my skin is dry, I may try this again. It should be noted that my dry lips and hands immediately went away after only a day or so of taking these pills.

Topical and Oral Antibiotics- I've been on Amoxicillin pills, used topical clindamycin, bactroban, and benzaclin. None of these appear to have significant results on healing or preventing my cystic acne. It has led me to believe that bacteria is not a significant cause of my cystic acne. It should be noted that all of these have however been incredibly effective on my scalp (I have reoccuring scalp folliculitis, basically very painful pus filled acne all over my head).

Benzyl Peroxide - Yes, everyone's used this forever and so have I. I hate benzyl peroxide. It is incredibly irritating, even at 2.5% levels, turning my skin leathery dry and red. Sure, it may kill bacteria, but that for me is not even the problem. The only reason this works at some level is because it irritates the acne so much that the skin flakes and peals off to eventually reveal a whitehead (the rare times that there actually is one). This used in combination with Salicylic acid to spot treat cysts was found to be very powerful in killing a cyst, but also extremely irritating to the surrounding skin. The Salicylic acid helps the BP to pentrate the cyst better, but eventually makes my skin burn if applied for more than 2 days.

Using non-SLS, or non-fluoride toothpaste - At one point I theorized that toothpaste (in saliva leaking down my mouth while sleeping) was the cause of all this acne around my chin and mouth. There has been studies hypothesizing that SLS or fluoride is the cause. I am still getting acne there even after switching to an SLS-free or fluroide-free toothpaste, so have proved this to be wrong for myself.

Vitamin C pills (1000mg) - I tried doing this for a few days and suspect it caused a few papule breakouts around my cheek. I suppose I had a bad reaction to this high dose, which I read some people do.

Topical and oral lemon juice - This did nothing. It burned slightly but that's about it. I see no difference between this and topical salicylic acid.

Cortisone Injections - I tried this once for a cyst I had, and it ended up swelling up my chin and causing the cyst to spread. It was disastrous. My chin looked terrible and the single cyst became 3 cysts that took about 2-3 weeks to heal.

Cryosurgery -I had this done on another cyst. Basically freezing it with liquid CO2 I believe. The results were very bad. I had a huge disgusting scab that looked abnormal. It looked like a parasite was on my chin. It took about 8 days to peel off, and left a red discolored mark that appears bigger than it would have been if I just let the cyst heal on its own.

Things that work:

Green Cream (Retinol 0.6%) - I used Retin-A Micro when I was younger and found it very irritating (redness, dry flaky skin, burning). I read that Green Cream was much milder but still effective. This is true. Green Cream has not caused any noticeable negative side effects after using it for about 2 months. It has helped in preventing new cysts (any new acne that appears does not become cystic because there is a much thinner layer of skin that easily sheds and lets the lesion come to a whitehead for draining). New lesions also have a much shorter lifespan and heal faster. The one bad thing I have to say is, DO NOT over-apply. This applies for all topicals. After using this 3 days in a row, my face looks very thin and raw, which lets my scars look very visible. My face also starts flushing very easily and feels hot and uncomfortable. I switched to using this every other day at night. I highly recommend Green Cream level 6 for those with less severe acne than myself. Another benefit is that this cream decreases oil production the day after use.

Retin-A Micro - Since I am still getting lesions around my chin (non-cystic), I decided Green Cream (Retinol) was not powerful enough. I have now started using Retin-A Micro again every other day. It is still very irritating. The morning after I use it, my face is very easily flushed and hot, and incredibly oily. If you have oily skin, this WILL increase oil production.

Glycolic Acid (Aqua Glycolic face wash) - I've been using this as much as once a day and have noticed it does help in exfoliating skin gently. It makes my skin very smooth and soft to the touch. However, in terms of preventing my cystic acne, the results have not been great. I feel like glycolic acid and other exfoliating agents are mildly helpful tools that should be used in combination with something much more powerful. I have tried to Aqua Glycolic cream and toner but both appear irritating to my skin (causing redness). I personally feel that Glycolic Acid is gentler and more effective than Salicylic acid.

Milk of Magnesia (Phillips brand) - I'm not going to go into detail about what this is or why it works. You can research for yourself, there is plenty out there. But yes, I have been trying this and found it beneficial. It greatly decreases oiliness of face, and is not irritating. It also tightens the appearance of your pores and creates a smooth matte texture. Using it as a spot treatment for my acne has helped lesions come to a head quicker.

Neutrogena Extra Gentle Face Wash - This is the best facewash I have used so far. I am not saying it is great, but every other facewash I've used has been too drying or irritating. This keeps my skin soft, clean, and hydrated without irritation. It is free of SLS (I recommend researching on SLS, a very common and bad ingredient in almost all shampoos, toothpaste, and washes) but does contain alcohol. I do not recommend this as an acne "treatment" because it will not help directly with acne.

Last Words

I hate people out there who get a pimple every now and then and claim that they have "acne problems" or "hormonal acne". You people are ridiculous and take your lives seriously for granted. I wish you could experience having to live every single day of your life with some form of cyst, acne, leaking pus, or scar on your face like I have. Be thankful for your skin and stop complaining. There are many people out there who are dealing with real skin issues you cannot even begin to fathom, so stop posting your bullsh*t crap about taking a magic supplement or putting lemon juice on your face to clear acne. You'd be just as clear putting dirt on your face. I hope my information helps someone.

I'm a 25 yr old asian male with slightly tan skin, I've had bad acne in my teens and was on accutane for that. But now in my 20's I have been dealing with bad cystic acne localized around my mouth and chin area for years. It's only gotten worse as I've aged and I've been trying practically everything and thought I'd share what I've learned.

Things that have not worked that well:

Saw Palmetto complex (includes Zinc and B6) - known to suppress DHT, Ive been taking 160mg pills twice a day for about 2-3 months. There has been noticeable decrease in libido so it certainly has some effect on a hormonal level. In terms of preventing my acne, the results from this have been quite limited. I have not noticed any negative effects, and I'm sure the zinc is beneficial, so I will continue taking it. However, this does not appear to be a powerful enough DHT blocker, at least for me.

Omega 3 supplements - I tried these pills for a few days but noticed an incredible increase in the oiliness of my skin. My face was practically dripping with oil hours after taking 1 pill. I feared this would make my acne worse so I did not continue. Now that it is winter and my skin is dry, I may try this again. It should be noted that my dry lips and hands immediately went away after only a day or so of taking these pills.

Topical and Oral Antibiotics- I've been on Amoxicillin pills, used topical clindamycin, bactroban, and benzaclin. None of these appear to have significant results on healing or preventing my cystic acne. It has led me to believe that bacteria is not a significant cause of my cystic acne. It should be noted that all of these have however been incredibly effective on my scalp (I have reoccuring scalp folliculitis, basically very painful pus filled acne all over my head).

Benzyl Peroxide - Yes, everyone's used this forever and so have I. I hate benzyl peroxide. It is incredibly irritating, even at 2.5% levels, turning my skin leathery dry and red. Sure, it may kill bacteria, but that for me is not even the problem. The only reason this works at some level is because it irritates the acne so much that the skin flakes and peals off to eventually reveal a whitehead (the rare times that there actually is one). This used in combination with Salicylic acid to spot treat cysts was found to be very powerful in killing a cyst, but also extremely irritating to the surrounding skin. The Salicylic acid helps the BP to pentrate the cyst better, but eventually makes my skin burn if applied for more than 2 days.

Using non-SLS, or non-fluoride toothpaste - At one point I theorized that toothpaste (in saliva leaking down my mouth while sleeping) was the cause of all this acne around my chin and mouth. There has been studies hypothesizing that SLS or fluoride is the cause. I am still getting acne there even after switching to an SLS-free or fluroide-free toothpaste, so have proved this to be wrong for myself.

Vitamin C pills (1000mg) - I tried doing this for a few days and suspect it caused a few papule breakouts around my cheek. I suppose I had a bad reaction to this high dose, which I read some people do.

Topical and oral lemon juice - This did nothing. It burned slightly but that's about it. I see no difference between this and topical salicylic acid.

Cortisone Injections - I tried this once for a cyst I had, and it ended up swelling up my chin and causing the cyst to spread. It was disastrous. My chin looked terrible and the single cyst became 3 cysts that took about 2-3 weeks to heal.

Cryosurgery -I had this done on another cyst. Basically freezing it with liquid CO2 I believe. The results were very bad. I had a huge disgusting scab that looked abnormal. It looked like a parasite was on my chin. It took about 8 days to peel off, and left a red discolored mark that appears bigger than it would have been if I just let the cyst heal on its own.

Things that work:

Green Cream (Retinol 0.6%) - I used Retin-A Micro when I was younger and found it very irritating (redness, dry flaky skin, burning). I read that Green Cream was much milder but still effective. This is true. Green Cream has not caused any noticeable negative side effects after using it for about 2 months. It has helped in preventing new cysts (any new acne that appears does not become cystic because there is a much thinner layer of skin that easily sheds and lets the lesion come to a whitehead for draining). New lesions also have a much shorter lifespan and heal faster. The one bad thing I have to say is, DO NOT over-apply. This applies for all topicals. After using this 3 days in a row, my face looks very thin and raw, which lets my scars look very visible. My face also starts flushing very easily and feels hot and uncomfortable. I switched to using this every other day at night. I highly recommend Green Cream level 6 for those with less severe acne than myself. Another benefit is that this cream decreases oil production the day after use.

Retin-A Micro - Since I am still getting lesions around my chin (non-cystic), I decided Green Cream (Retinol) was not powerful enough. I have now started using Retin-A Micro again every other day. It is still very irritating. The morning after I use it, my face is very easily flushed and hot, and incredibly oily. If you have oily skin, this WILL increase oil production.

Glycolic Acid (Aqua Glycolic face wash) - I've been using this as much as once a day and have noticed it does help in exfoliating skin gently. It makes my skin very smooth and soft to the touch. However, in terms of preventing my cystic acne, the results have not been great. I feel like glycolic acid and other exfoliating agents are mildly helpful tools that should be used in combination with something much more powerful. I have tried to Aqua Glycolic cream and toner but both appear irritating to my skin (causing redness). I personally feel that Glycolic Acid is gentler and more effective than Salicylic acid.

Milk of Magnesia (Phillips brand) - I'm not going to go into detail about what this is or why it works. You can research for yourself, there is plenty out there. But yes, I have been trying this and found it beneficial. It greatly decreases oiliness of face, and is not irritating. It also tightens the appearance of your pores and creates a smooth matte texture. Using it as a spot treatment for my acne has helped lesions come to a head quicker.

Neutrogena Extra Gentle Face Wash - This is the best facewash I have used so far. I am not saying it is great, but every other facewash I've used has been too drying or irritating. This keeps my skin soft, clean, and hydrated without irritation. It is free of SLS (I recommend researching on SLS, a very common and bad ingredient in almost all shampoos, toothpaste, and washes) but does contain alcohol. I do not recommend this as an acne "treatment" because it will not help directly with acne.

Last Words

I hate people out there who get a pimple every now and then and claim that they have "acne problems" or "hormonal acne". You people are ridiculous and take your lives seriously for granted. I wish you could experience having to live every single day of your life with some form of cyst, acne, leaking pus, or scar on your face like I have. Be thankful for your skin and stop complaining. There are many people out there who are dealing with real skin issues you cannot even begin to fathom, so stop posting your bullsh*t crap about taking a magic supplement or putting lemon juice on your face to clear acne. You'd be just as clear putting dirt on your face. I hope my information helps someone.

I just made another doctor appt today for my repeated acne lesions on chin. I have also got this wierd reddish/rashy looking acne bumps from the sides of nose across cheeks under eyes. Its always red there and looks awful. But my main problem has always been the chin and near lips. I am recovering from another cyst there as we speak its awful. I know this is more than likely hormonal acne and i wish i could figure out what it is that i need to control this. Right now i have been using benzaclin all over chin everynight for about a month and i am still breaking out. I have started drying out more and my skin is starting to get irratated from it now. So i dont know what i need to do anymore.

It is just so embarrasing to have this type of acne since it is so noticable being on chin and close to mouth. It is def ruining my life and i want so bad to get to the bottom of it. Wish it wasnt so damn complicated, dont understand why we can not figure out our own bodies needs. I always fn yell to my face "WTF DO YOU WANT?????" I really do because it pisses me off so bad.

Breaking it down to hormonal acne is one thing, but then you got another whole can of worms to go through because hormona acne within itself is also just as complicated. Just wish i had a answer, as i know the rest of us do too.

I know how you feel man. Benzyclin doesnt help much for me and its very irritating.

Its just clindamycin antibiotic gel mixed with 5% BP.

I find Salicylic Acid + BP to be more effective. Remember not to overapply. When you get one of those cysts you feel like you need to layer that crap on multiple times a day, but dont. It will only make it worse. 2x a day max.

I'm using Retin-A Micro right now and am noticing its effects. I would suggest using that on the mouth and chin area twice a day if you want to finally get rid of it for good. The first few weeks may be tough to get through since it may make you purge. It will force out all the shit under your skin until it is clear. I'm dealing with some purging now but luckily it is not terrible. Any lesions that appear only last a few days at most, and come to a whitehead very quickly for draining. This is because Retin-A causes rapid turnover of the skin and will make any "cysts" have very thin top layers, and most likely you wont get any cysts at all. Good luck and hang in there.

I know how you feel man. Benzyclin doesnt help much for me and its very irritating.

I find Salicylic Acid + BP to be more effective. Remember not to overapply. When you get one of those cysts you feel like you need to layer that crap on multiple times a day, but dont. It will only make it worse. 2x a day max.

I'm using Retin-A Micro right now and am noticing its effects. I would suggest using that on the mouth and chin area twice a day if you want to finally get rid of it for good. The first few weeks may be tough to get through since it may make you purge. It will force out all the shit under your skin until it is clear. I'm dealing with some purging now but luckily it is not terrible. Any lesions that appear only last a few days at most, and come to a whitehead very quickly for draining. This is because Retin-A causes rapid turnover of the skin and will make any "cysts" have very thin top layers, and most likely you wont get any cysts at all. Good luck and hang in there.

I had that reaction to RetinA Micro, and my derm told me to immediately stop. It was as if a white postule almost instantaneously showed up in each spot where I applied the cream/gel. Not sure if this is purging or if my skin is just not reacting well. Either way, what did you mean by "draining"? Will it drain on its own or do you have to do it?

I usually drain them on my own because I hate walking around with a whitehead on my face. I prick the whitehead with a sharp blackhead removing tool, and then gently apply pressure on the area around the opening. Usually a solid white plug eventually pops out, and the lesion starts healing pretty rapidly in the next few days once the oil gland is unclogged.

This type of purging from Retin-A or any vitamin A based productions is very common. The reason why I see this purging as a good thing, is because the pimples brought to the surface by Retin-A have much thinner surface skin and therefore do not last as long. Imagine if you didn't use Retin-A, sometime in the future these clogged pores under the skin would eventually surface anyways and most likely be cystic lesions that last really long. Retin-A just speeds up the process to push all this crap out and eventually clear your skin for good.

I had that reaction to RetinA Micro, and my derm told me to immediately stop. It was as if a white postule almost instantaneously showed up in each spot where I applied the cream/gel. Not sure if this is purging or if my skin is just not reacting well. Either way, what did you mean by "draining"? Will it drain on its own or do you have to do it?

Can anyone give me some input on using Eulexin for cystic ance. My dermatologist has me trying that next since Spironolactone was bothering my system. Did anyone have good results? And how long before they saw a difference?

Thanks