Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey, I am nearly 20 and I have battled with dreadful acne for the better part of my teenage years. During the summer, much of my acne began to get away: no more backacne, none on my forehead and upper cheeks. Unfortunately, I continue to get acne on my upper lip, lower cheeks/jawline and the peripheral of my chin.

I have discovered over the months that this is not the acne I had for so many years... it is from shaving. If I don't shave for a few days, my acne goes away. However, if I shave one night - the next morning I wake up with a slew of brand new pimples. Some areas are affected differently than others, my sideburn area rarely gets any acne however my chin/side-corners of mouth are typically plentiful the next morning.

I am using a sensor excel razor with gillette shaving cream for sensitive skin and I wash my face twice a day with clean and clear foaming cleanser for sensitive skin. My skin is rather oily so I splash my face every few hours to get rid of it.

As far as I know - I am doing quite a bit to protect my skin from the irritation of shaving. But my acne is still around. I would grow a beard, but I just end up looking like a bum (it's not THAT thick).

Anyone ever suffer from this and has a solution to my ongoing problem?

Thanks

Maybe your Shaving Cream is a part in it?

Consider trying to shave with a cleanser lather, rather than shaving gel which can clog your pores.

I've tried an electric razor before - but I had irritation. I would buy another electric razor but I'm afraid even if I found a 'sensitive' razor it would still be irritating (I have very sensitive skin).

I don't think its the cream clogging my pores, because the effect is too quick. Within 12-18hours acne shows up.

The dermatologist I saw a couple months ago was a idiot. He told me that it was ok to shave zits because it gets the head of them off. For a little while it worked, one day I would have a big red inflamed pimple and I shaved it off and the next day it was just a red mark. Problem is it has been about 4 weeks later and the red marks have not gone away. So yeah just thought I would share that story.

I've tried an electric razor before - but I had irritation. I would buy another electric razor but I'm afraid even if I found a 'sensitive' razor it would still be irritating (I have very sensitive skin).

I don't think its the cream clogging my pores, because the effect is too quick. Within 12-18hours acne shows up.

Yo THX,

Did you experience any breakouts while using the electric razor?

I've been using an electric razor for years because I used to get whiteheads and pustules in both my cheeks. A regular razor would make them bleed. I go very gently on my cheeks and that's how I avoid irritation. I also keep the razor clean and well-oiled.

I noticed that irritation occured when I pressed too hard or went repeatedly over one area in order to get a good shave.

So I just go very gently (my beard isn't that thick either). I stretch my skin a little bit and let the razor glide over it. I don't get a perfect shave, but at least I don't look like I just woke up. The important thing is that I don't irritate my skin and prevent further breakouts. Besides, my skin isn't that smooth anyway (because of my scars and redmarks).