Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jen121

Skipping the Placebo Pills??

Im on yasmin birth control for my ance... and Ive heard of people on here actually skipping the placebo pills meaning skipping their period.. in order to avoid hormonal breakouts. Someones gyno actually has been doing it for 6 years now with perfect skin.

I would like to know who on here skips the placebo and goes right to the next month (no period), takes it normally(gets monthly period), or just skips the placebo and waits a week before beginning the new pack (gets monthly period)... and what are you experiences doing so?

I THINK ALOT OF PEOPLE ON HERE WONDER ABOUT THIS SO PLEASE REPSOND! THANKS :D

I skipped the placebos every single month. They are jusy reminders. I am on the ring now and I do not have to do anything but when I was on the pill, I never took the pills during my period. The gyno ok-ed me to do this, also.

ALSO skipping these pills does nothing, you still have your period. You just are not taking the strictly "reminder" pills.

AND my roomate is a nurse, she recommends that you have 4 or more periods a year, no less. What you are talking about is not taking the placebos and going straight into your next pack to skip your period. If you are doing this, go onto Seasonale. The insurance wont let you get more than 12 packs a month and skipping your period requires more than 12 packs a month.

I usually skip the placebo and start my new pack normally.

Like AmberLynn said, they are just a sugar pill. It is just there so you are in the habit of taking your pill and you know what day you are on.

Ryan: So you dont get your period then is what you are saying right?

I know you can skip the placebo pills but what im really asking is do you wait a week to start the new pack or do u start the next day (meaning no period)

To skip your period you must keep taking the hormone pills, never missing a day, let alone a week. But, like I said before, insurance does not let this fly so look into seasonale.

ahhh (relaxed sound not the screaming sound ahh)

I like being a guy, except for the acne part.

Ryan: So you dont get your period then is what you are saying right?

I know you can skip the placebo pills but what im really asking is do you wait a week to start the new pack or do u start the next day (meaning no period)

No, I do get my period.

This month for example.

I took the last ACTUAL birth control pill on Sunday March 12th. The placebo pill started on Monday March 13th. I didn't take any placebo pills, so for 7 days I did not take birth control. Then started Monday March 20th I started back up on the actual pill.

I have considered skipping the placebo and going non stop birth control pill, because I only plan to be on BC while on Accutane. 6 months w/ out a period just sounds totally kick butt.

I hope that all makes sense.

Yes i understand now thanks :D I am going to do that too skip the placebo but wait a week before starting the next pack... i think its more natural and its probably better for my skin too :angel:

To skip your period you must keep taking the hormone pills, never missing a day, let alone a week. But, like I said before, insurance does not let this fly so look into seasonale.

But.. seasonale is not good for acne. I would rather pay the extra money and be on apill that clears my skin!

Yes i understand now thanks :D I am going to do that too skip the placebo but wait a week before starting the next pack... i think its more natural and its probably better for my skin too :angel:

It actually isn't better for your skin, or more natural. The placebo pills are just that, a placebo. Meaning they have no active ingredients at all. Their only function is to help you keep in the habit of taking your pill on time.

So whether you take them or not will make no difference to your body or your skin. But if you don't want to take them don't.

Cutie:

What I was talking about when I suggested skipping the placebo week was, at the end of the last active pill of the pack (before the placebo week), simply throwing away the pack and starting a new pack when I would have started the first day of the placebo pills. This would most likely cause you to not have a period.

Skipping the placebo week without starting a new pack of pills won't do anything, it will be the exact same thing as taking the placebo week. The placebo pills are just sugar, they contain no active hormones. So whether you take them or skip them you will have the same outcome--a period. And your hormone levels will fluctuate that week, perhaps causing a breakout. You are still protected from becoming pregnant that week.

I plan on skipping the placebo week and moving on to the next pack without waiting a week. That is what my gyno does to keep her hormone levels consistent, thus preventing any breakouts. And her skin looks beautiful.

Hope that helps! Birth control is so confusing sometimes.

I understood what you were saying but I was saying that i didnt want to suffer from an even worse breakout the following month or at the time when you decide to have your period (like the 3rd month mark u were saying) or were u planning on doing this indefinetely?

I understood what you were saying but I was saying that i didnt want to suffer from an even worse breakout the following month or at the time when you decide to have your period (like the 3rd month mark u were saying) or were u planning on doing this indefinetely?

I'm planning on doing it as long as my insurance company doesn't notice that I'm using more than one pack a month, haha.