Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MattMyster

"YEA" Let's Start the Insanity! CanadianMatt Starts ACCUTANE! 15 y/o Male

Hey all! Whew, it's finally begun guys...I'm on accutane. I just started it yesterday (First Day of Spring omgomgomg yays) and I CAN'T WAIT to take my next pill. Needless to say if you saw my avatar...I have moderate-severe acne, so I can't really tell anymore if I got any newbies popping up on my face. I have acne on my back/chest also so I'm really anxious for accutane to clear me ALL up! Can't wait, though I should be finished in Late July/August...got a big wait to go yet! And school's hardly gonna be any easier while on the 'tane...but lets see how much I can take! :doubt:

Here's a bit of background on me, since everyone else seems to have one.

My names Matt Thompson, I'm from Nova Scotia Canada and I'm 15 y/o. I've always had acne ever since puberty started, back when I was inbetween the 12-13 ages. It only ever got worse as I got older and that year I turned 14, It hit me full tilt! That year all hell was unleashed upon my face and my acne was insane to say the least. I had given up on all cleansers, washes, solutions, everything…the whole caboose. Then just last January I found acne.org and I tried out his regimen. Obviously it didn't work for me, but not everyone has hormonal acne like me. Although I did like his BP gel, it's amazing and I recommend it to anyone who doesn't think they have hormonal acne. Hmm so that following February I got an appointment with a derm, and tried different treatments for a few weeks including anti-biotics...but they hurt your stomach like crazy so I stopped that. Then a few weeks ago I went back to the derm and she prescribed me accutane, and here I am.

Day One

Monday, March 20th, 2006

Today I started my accutane journey. I’ve just been subscribed 40mg accutane (isotretinoin) by my derm last week, but I was unable to take it then due to the flu I had. I'm now mildly better so I started taking it.

I just finished taking the first pill, damn their small…I was under the impression that they were freakin huge, I guess not. The derm said I have to take it with a fatty meal, once a day. So I took it with some meat, chocolate milk, banana loaf, and applesauce along with some other breakfast stuff this morning. I don’t feel any different right now…but derm said I wouldn’t feel any different or see many changes for the first week. And after that for the next 1-2 Months it’s supposed to be a living hell from all the comments I’ve heard about it.

I'm not feeling any real oilyness from being on the accutane, might be to early to tell but I think I'll definatly get drier and not oilier...I think since my acne is hormonal or something. I'll probably need a moisturizer sometime soon too. Can anyone recommend any good ones?

Not much else to comment on...day 2 is looming closer ;)

So is there any tips/advice for first time tane' users? Anything I should avoid or eat/drink more? I heard Milk Thistle is supposed to be good for somethin while on the 'tane...dunno the truthfulness of that though.

I'll keep y'all updated daily! And I'll be posting before pics soon too! :)

Day Two

OK, YEA DAY NUMERO 2! Alright, so I just popped pill #2 down the shoot and I was anxious as ever to take it this morning. Still sick sorta, so I'm home from school for now. Nothing too serious though.

I'm feeling some side effects even 2nd day in! SIDE EFFECTS: ITCHYNESS, DEPRESSION/Mind Games (lol)

Yeah so I'm unbearable itchy all over for some reason, this I'm sure is the tane' kicking in, although still too ealry to say! I've had a spell of depression or something of the like today, which was odd but bearable. I'm certain this is the tane' also...but again nothing I can't handle. Like I mentioned before, my biggest fear while on accutane is the mentale side effects! There's nothing too noticeable happening right now.

PICS *Yayzors*

Here's a few before pics of me prior to starting accutane. I took these in January/February

Picture #1 (Scary Pic of Me)

Photo #2 Pic of Right Side of Jawline/Neck [Lotsa Acne :(]

Photo #3 Left side of Jawline/Neck

RANDOM of me With the same pattented blue shirt no doubt ;)

I'll post some pics in Gallerie soon! Bring on the comments, also any advice or tips welcome or just drop me a line if your in the posting neighborhood :whistle:

Oh yeah also these pics (along with the one in my avatar) aren't exactly me at 100%. I look kinda like a crackpot druggy or somethin in these pics *lol* but its just that during the time I took the pics I wasn't getting very much sleep each night and I was dealing with a shitload of real life problems...Like trying to improve my self-character, who I was etc...very complicated stuff.

Day 3

Woo 3rd day on accutane :)! I just popped pill #3 in and took it with a pretty good breakfast. Hmm this morning I noticed when I was washing my face with a sorta scrub/mild cleanser that it hurt like hell after I got out of the shower. Apparently it's no joke when people say your skins gonna be really fragile while on accutane...even a few days in! I ought to get a cleanser soon, as far as products go to help me get through the dry spells I haven't any yet. I'll have to get some soon.

Not too many side effects to report. Just the same old, I'm getting noticeably drier skin though...so thats kindof a plus. I will have to start wearing some type of moisturizer though, but I think I'll be ok till friday. My lips are still hanging in there so no worry's there. I'm going to go get some Burt's Bee's though just incase.

Hmm well the week's going by soo slow now that I'm on the tane' for some reason...and it feels like my skin's got a mind of its own. Springs here though, so it's all good :)

Hey. I wish ya luck with it all. You look good in ur avator =) How do you know if you have hormonal acne? :S

hey mate, thanks for commenting...ahaha I guess all logs have to start somewhere before they gain popularity!

Hey, yeah...lol in my avatar I have that odd grin on my face...although I can't recall what I was happy about, I was taking my own pic to show my acne lol!

Hmm well first of all having my type of acne for three years and having tried everything (I seriously tried EVERYTHING, EVERY anti-biotic, topical, remedy etc.) without significant results was my first clue. Then having my Derm tell me that I did after getting my Blood Test results back was the sealer.

It doesn't look too bad in that pic in my avatar, but if you've seen my other pics it's bad.

Day 4

Nothing much to report, except my face is DRIVING ME INSANE WITH ALL THE ITCHING!!! It itches like carazy!!!! Also I felt the first bouts of joint pain last night in my legs...man I can only imagine what it'll be like when I start running track (5 days a week) and swimming (3 days/week) +my 2 day workout at gym!! :S

Also my face is REALLY red and starting to look like it's peeling especially on the right side of my face and around my T-Zone. I'll have to post pics soon.

Oh, started using moisturizer today...although it sucked and left a shiny shine and a residue :(

Again, having serious trouble trying to resist picking...I can see the yellow jazz before I bust it so that just gives me more of an incentive to do it.

Ugh I had to go to class today and my face was shiny as heck, then started to peel!!! =(

I doubt I'll survive doing this next month, I have 2 Trips across Canada :S :wall::sick::eh::hand:

Gosh, I sure do remember the itching, I used to ball up tissue paper and gently rub it on my face to relieve the itching. It all stopped at like 3 weeks, tho. Good luck!!

Hey Amber, Thanks for visiting my humble abode here! =)

Yeah, itching sucks smelly feet apple cores...ahh err (sick)!!!... shoulda used another example lol :S

Right now what I find is helping is immersing my whole face into Freezing water *Complete with Icecubes*!!! It takes away the burn and sting from itching for a little while.

Did anyone ever feel super tired while on the 'tane? This is insane...At like around super time everyday I barely have the strength to stand up...its freakin me out. I'm sleepy at like 7 'oclock and when I do sleep it's for like 12 hours!!! INSANE!!!

Maybe its because of the amoxicillian trihydrate im on too for my flu/cold thingy....that'll be finished in another day or so...so maybe it'll be from the medicine.

At this rate if this continues, I'll collapse from exhaustion in another Month from my Track Championship! It's the top runners in my Province and the National Championship Place for my Province is up for grabs. :S mrr I can run hella fast and for long when I'm at 1000% but I doubt I'll even come close to there while on the 'tane...I won't be able to even build up my leg muscles at the gym! =(

Hey Matt! Good to see you're on Tane, I'm on Day 2 myself. So I'm sure we will have similar side effects throughout this hole process.

Well, here is to good Accutane smiles and best wishes!

Cheers, m8!

Hey thanks dude, I'll look for your log :)

Yeah I've had some pretty F**** up side effects while on the 'tane in the first 4 days already...so I can't even imagine whats to come. But I'm sure I'll be able to get through it will all the support on this cool site! Gogogogogo #1 Acne.org =)

My trick to cooling the burn was taking a popsicle, still in the wrapper and put on the corner of my eyes. That is where my burning took place most. Then you get a delicious treat afterwards. If you get the 100% juice kind, or real fruit kind, its delicious and healthy. Congrats on the tane, it takes patience, but if you are like me and other I have seen on here, its just like all of a sudden one day, you notice there is no acne, just red, then all of a sudden one day the red has really faded. Don't expect instant results or you will set your self up for disapointment. As for a good moisturizer, so many things work for so many people, but aquaphor is a pretty popular one on the logs, although I don't super care for it. I just use something I picked up at a drug store for faces, and I use dove night effects on my body after i get out of the shower in the mornings. Good luck with everything!

Trenem - Yeah thanks for the tip, I'll have to try that this weekend! Although I kinda like the feeling of ICECOLD Freezing chill on your face and down your spine first thing in the morning at right after supper. Im going to look for some moisturizers when I go to drugstore tonight so yeah I'll look an see what they have, other than aquaphor.

Day 5

YEAH FINALLY, it's been 5 days already on the 'tane. Hah, only what...like 165 days left!?!?

Wow, nearly a week too. I'll be posting pics later on tonight :):whistle:

SKin update: Side effects aren't that bad right now...my lips are seriously starting to kill me, 5 days in with accutane and i haven't used anything yet...but I'm goin down to the drugstore now to pic up something. I hope they carry Burt's Bees in Canada :pray:

On another note the redness and peeling actually went down today for some reason...Maybe My body's finally getting used to it a little bit!

That...-----OR-----my theorie is that since I used a pretty heavy moisturizer yesterday morning, my pores might just be still clogged from it, and that may be keeping down the peeling.

Oh...and IM GETTING MY HAIRCUT TOMMORO :shock::shock::evil::hand::doh::wall::wall:

Mrrr... so yeah you'll see what I look like without an afro of hair on my head ;)

I haven't hit the dreaded, IB yet...but from what I've read I'm in store for it soon...and I can't do anything to stop it. My skins too fragile for bp anymore, so I'm basically screwed for the next week as far as my face is going. But alls not lost...some of my body acne on my arms n back is STARTING TO CLEAR UP :D so its a fair trade off I guess. I just think the accutane's working faster on my body since it's less severe around those spots, contrary to my face which is wayyy badder.

Hmm school's getting insane right now, I basically have no weekend now...its going to be filled with caffeine and Homework, Books and lots of typing :shifty:

Well I'll be back online tonight...so I'll see ya's then!

Hi Matt! I'm canadian too, I live in BC but I'm from sask. Whats N S Canada? I'm sorry if I should know being canadian but I'm REALLY bad with geography. Up until I was like 20 I could never remember if it was alberta or BC that was next to saskatchewan. Admitting that to people usually makes people lose respect for me but at least I'm honest right? Okay I'm going on a tangent here. Sorry.

So I was so so so tired when I first started accutane. Well actually the first week I could not sleep and then I couldnt stop sleeping. I'm still pretty tired, mostly when I'm working out more than 1 day in a row. Uh, ya and I had itchy face too, I never really noticed when it stopped.

And yes there is definitely burts bees in canada, try shoppers.

Did you have to do iPLEDGE when you got your prescription? I have my next derm appt on monday and I'm hoping its just in the states, but It also sounds like its in the UK too.

Good luck on the junktane.

Andy

Hi Matt! I'm canadian too, I live in BC but I'm from sask. Whats N S Canada? I'm sorry if I should know being canadian but I'm REALLY bad with geography. Up until I was like 20 I could never remember if it was alberta or BC that was next to saskatchewan. Admitting that to people usually makes people lose respect for me but at least I'm honest right? Okay I'm going on a tangent here. Sorry.

Hey don't worry about it...Geography sux, so it's all good. Aight N.S (your going to kick yourself for forgetting this lol) it stands for Nova Scotia (N.S). We're basically across on the whole other side (Eastern Side) of the continent! Mmm and the best atlantic province out there...well P.E.I is cool also, and New Brunswick...but if you ever visit in Nova Scotia. Take a 2-3 days and come to CAPE BRETON ISLAND!!! ITS AWSOME!!! Seriously, nicest people you'll never find than here, in Cape Breton...and I live here to so its a win/win situation :)

Yeah so I just got back from drugstore and bought burt's bees...y'all were right, they do carry it here in Canada. THAT'S INSANE THOUGH--->IT HAS ITS OWN STAND IN SHOPPERS! lol..I walked into the store I saw it right infront of me staring at me. It took like 0.01 seconds to spot the lip balm stuff :snooty: :D :whistle: :whistle:

hmm iPLEDGE you say? Nah never heard of the thing...I might've, although I doubt it. I actually got my Parent's to go pick it up since I had to be somewheres that day... :shhh: :shifty:

I'm pretty certain that there's different rules and regulations on what you have to do for certain prescriptons across Canada, because like here in the atlantic provinces we have our own "gouverment" sorta-->the way I like to think about it, since we have some different laws n stuff than other provinces in Canada. Nothing huge, just different I guess.

Hmm apparently I forgot to mention that I speak FRENCH additionally. As it fits, I'm Canadian so Its good to know both languages ;)

Ahh pics-->yes I was going to take some tonight but I think I'll just take em first thing in the morning since Im a little tired right now.

Sweet Dreams Y'all :bah: :sleep:

Good luck to you with accutane! i will be starting it soon too, but i have to wait a month because of stupid ipledge. you look good in that blue shirt of yours!! ;)

Matt, you are seriously the cutest ever... as soon as you are done with accutane you are going to have a wonderful face to match that wonderful personality! Man, that is so exciting!

And I am glad you found burt's bees. Be sure to slather it on at night... your smackers will be soft, smooth, and kissable in the morning! Yay! :) Love ya!

gl with the tane man. as for the itchiness my back got really really itchy at the beginning but now starting my 2nd month on it i dont get all that itchy. but omg the freaking tiredness stays the whole time, seriously i take the pill at around 7pm and at 9pm im ready to just pass out on my bed. good luck though

Hey don't worry about it...Geography sux, so it's all good. Aight N.S (your going to kick yourself for forgetting this lol) it stands for Nova Scotia (N.S).

I am so embarassed :redface:

TennesseeGrl - Hey Sarah, yeah I can't wait till I get rid of this blasted acne! After my acne's gone, it'll help my true personality shine through I'm hoping :pray:! And yeah BURT'S BEES IS ROXORS!!!! Seriously, it is the best!!! I am soo happy People told me about it. I put it on last night before bed, (I loved the minty freshness of the smell :whistle: and the cooling on your lips :dance:) and this morning my lips weren't even DRY, SCABBY OR CHAPPED OR HURTING!!! Amazing stuff that is!

wickedsensitivecrew - Thanks man, yeah I was hoping the tiredness wouldn't last...this is going to be a hell of a summer than--> I usually go to the gym alot in the summer and train weights, swim ALOT, RUN EVERYDAY and Bike alot. Arggggness, well Im just gonna have to suck it up and keep on going to gym, running,swimming and biking like I used to. I think I'll be able to handle the pain with a couple of advil and willpower :surprised:;)

Andrea - Bah don't be lol, worse things have happened to me in the last 2 years than in all my life! Take comfort in that, ah man have I got stories about those "bad days" for you.

I try to never judge people on anything and like TennesseeGrl said somewheres,"We're our own worst critics"! See like me, I don't do exceptionally well in school as I wouldv'e liked, since I concentrate on other things other than school most of the time-->Like improving my self-character and that, and most people think I'm well...whatever. I later took an IQ test a few months ago and made pretty high. But I don't beleive anyone should have the right to judge a person's intelligence on tests n that...that's why I don't place alot of importance on school and that. Though don't get me wrong, Education is One of the most important things in life. Hint I said "One".

Aike, lol this is basically what I think about when I'm not thinking about school-->philosophy, my self character, helping others, my future etc. Yeah so I rant alot sometimes. :whistle:

Day 6

OMgomgomg tis day 6. Wow, my face has actually improved alot since I went on the 'tane from my point of view. I mean I still have a number of zits n that but I'm pretty sure it was because of all the oil my skin was makin that my acne was bad. Amazing.

Side Effects: DAMN!!! FREAKIN MUSCLE PAIN...hurt's a hella lot. I was only playin like an hour game of hockey in school yesterday and now my freaking joints and muscles are on fire!! grr...this sux. ADVIL--->SAVE ME! lol.

Man I need to start stretching then, everyday. That's insane...I used to get muscle pain after like 4 hours of playing Hockey or BBall and now it only takes like an hour. Weird, another side effecr of 'tane.

Lips are better, face is slowly peeling more and getting alot more dry. Im going to pick up a moisturizer today acctually :)

Hmm not much else goin on, no nosebleeds yet so Im pretty thankfull.

PICTURE TIME

ok, finally picture time. Although I couldn't really "match" the way I took the pics like in my before pics. I'll try and start a trend now in the way I take 'em.

IPB Image

IPB Image

sorry about the thumbnail thingies...lol I haven't yet discovered how to make em so they're side by side. I'm still using imageshack :think:

Im glad to see you are happy about the way tane is working. It really is great. Keep up the positive spirits and you will have a few months under your belt in no time. Keep the chapstick near and the moisturizer close. Keep stretching and staying active and that can help to ward off the accutane downs, like the one I am feeling right now, I don't want to do anything and the house is a mess!! AHHH!

I'll keep that in my mind, Im never going to leave the house without my Burt's Bees again for the next 5-6 months lol.

Gl with the house :)

I'll keep that in my mind, Im never going to leave the house without my Burt's Bees again for the next 5-6 months lol.

Gl with the house :)

Hi Matt, your skin is going to look great, fantastic, splendid really soon! :D Good luck to you mate. I need to try that Burt Bee's stuff. It sounds really good. I know that doctors use this lotion that has bees wax in it because its supposedly the best soother for dry skin. Where can I find this stuff at? I'm not too far ahead of you with my Accutane journey. I'm only on day 9. Bummer.

PS. I haven't received my initial breakout either. I know it's only been 9 days but I'm worried if I don't get it, this pilkl isn't working for me. But I'm also worried about getting it too! Just because I have a life to live and I don't want to seclude myself from everything. :rolleyes:

Wow DollyApples, you just popped my Comment cherry for today :D:D:D:D :dance::dance::clap:

Yeah burt's bees is THE BEST! You can get it at shoppers drugmart if you live in Canada like me. I just picked some up last night and IT HAS ITS OWN STAND!!! *gasp* so its not hard to spot. Its well worth the $3.99 +tax lol.

Ah, and I highly recommend putting some of it on yer lips before u go to bed. SO when you wake up in the morning you have nice, un scabbed, unchapped, lips :)

Yeah, I used to hate always worrying about my acne, and I still do it now but I've long given up caring if I have a new breakout since it happened so often for me in the last few years. As far as I'm concerned, if I get a whole wack of new zits, people can just kiss my shiny @$$ if they don't like the way I look. I don't really like the way I look if I get new breakouts anyway, but still they shouldn't judge me on it...I feel sometimes as if people aren't acting the same way they do as with clear skinned people which is a bugger.

I've alot of friends now with moderate acne, and before I met 'em I did notice it at first but when I started talking to them I simply forgot about it and never thought on it again. Yap, good ol' buddies :D:D;)

Yeah, its hard sometimes not to seclude yourself from everything. It's not always a bad thing stayin in because of your acne. Just listen to some good tunes, chat to friends on MSN or Yahoo or whatever you have and drink hot cocoa! Someone said something like this over the net to me once....

But ye know just do whatever ye feel like doing, go out wit some friends to go bowling or something to forget your acne, go play some pool or go shopping or something. It takes My mind off my acne and I just enjoy the moment of it. Never pass up the moment to just get out of the house and have some fun with friends.

Once in a while its good to stay home if you feel like it and just do whatever for the night until your acne gets better I guess.

Although, NEVER stay home/in for a few days at a time without really socializing with people. The mental side effects of Accutane start to screw with you then...since you have alot of time on your hands. This I've found to be INSANE as your minds your worst enemy while on the 'tane.

I've been on it for 6 days and the mental side effects do kick in if your alone or say *cough like I was* home from school sick for 3-4 days while on the 'tane. *cough*

So enough ranting from me lol, I seem to do that alot now. gl hf and I'll be right here if u need someone to chat to or summit if you get IB or somethin.

Neways, Im out. Mmmmm Suppa :)