Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Kaelynd

Accutane and not taking birthcontrol

Guest Kaelynd

I've been on birthcontrol before and I just dont like how it makes my body feel at all (weight gain, food craving, worse cramping, more bleeding etc), but I am soposed to be on it for going on accutane.

I know youre soposed to take it because of the birth defects and stuff, but there it a 0% chance that I'll become pregant during on any time soon after I am on accutane.

So will my derm know if I stop taking it, like will it show in my blood work or anything, or should I be able to get away with not taking it?

And what in the world is iPLEDGE? My derm never mentioned it.. is it only a united states thing? I live in canada.

Not all the pills are the same. If one doesn't work, you should ask to be switched to another (if that's an option with the ridiculous iPledge requirements).

No your derm will not know.

However, i strongly suggest that you rethink that approach. If you agreed to use the birth control pill, please do so. It's very dishonorable to sign papers saying that you will follow the rules but then break your word because the rules are inconvienent. If everyone had done what they had agreed to since the first PPP program was put in place, we would not be having to go through the nightmare that is iPLEDGE.

Ask to switch pill brands if the one you are using does not agree with you. I had similar issues with BC pills, but Yasmin has worked out very well for me. All brands are definitely not the same, and there are many to choose from. Talk to your gyn about the brands you've tried and how they made you feel. The doctor should be able to recommend a type that may be more suited to you, and may even be able to give you sample packs.

I have watched Accutane become more and more difficult to obtain over the years and at this point you practically have to sell your soul to the devil (ahem... i mean the FDA) to get it. You may think you have a zero chance of becoming pregnant, but the chance is never zero. Even if you abstain completely and don't get carried away with some new beau in the heat of the moment, there is always the possibility of rape. (I know, horrible thought, sorry.) Don't be the person who thought it couldn't happen to them, who winds up being the straw that broke the camel's back and making it impossible for future patients to obtain this life-changing medication. Please. I may need another course some day.

If you know you are not going to be having sex for sure then it will be fine if you don't take it.

I have been considering stop taking the BC. I am not a big fan of taking medications that I don't need and I don't need the BC.

Your derm will not know. You just have to pick up the BC prescription every month.

If you're not having sex.... why torture yourself? I've been on different varieties of BC and all of them make me hate my husband. The blood tests don't show it and I know because I cheated one month. I would have ended up divorced if I hadn't. I was very careful, using condoms and family planning or whatever they call the rhythm method this week. I am also committed to having an abortion if I do get pregnant so that does make a difference in my eyes. I would never willingly bring an unhealthy, unhappy child into this world.

Guest Kaelynd

What is Ipledge?

My dermotologist never mentioned it...do they even have it in canada:S?

Guest Kaelynd

Alright, so it for sure will not show on my blood tests If I have not been taking my birthcontrol?