Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
stillhere

TRIED TCA CROSS... NO SCABBING???

I tried TCA cross (100% tca) on a larger scar on my cheek Friday night. It appeared to frost very well, however all of the inner scar wasn't covered or frosting but most of it was. Probably 90%. It has now been almost 3 days and NO SCAB has appeared or any brown indication of a scab to be forming??? I wonder what it is. I have done several spot peels in the same area with a smaller percentage of tca but this was cross performed to a t. Has anyone else experienced this and/ or realized why they don't scab after obviously frosting to a white??? Please any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

I tried TCA cross (100% tca) on a larger scar on my cheek Friday night. It appeared to frost very well, however all of the inner scar wasn't covered or frosting but most of it was. Probably 90%. It has now been almost 3 days and NO SCAB has appeared or any brown indication of a scab to be forming??? I wonder what it is. I have done several spot peels in the same area with a smaller percentage of tca but this was cross performed to a t. Has anyone else experienced this and/ or realized why they don't scab after obviously frosting to a white??? Please any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

I actually have never gotten a scab, I was told some people don't and that that is normal also. Good luck, RuPerki :cool:

Thanks for the replies. :) Curious if not getting a scab means I should expect any improvements. I am so bummed lately. I was thinking about consulting a Plastic surgeon. Honestly, I am a bit leary of doing another dermabrasion or even a spot dermabrasion. Smoothbeam doesn't seem to do alot for the larger scars.... Still may have a few more though. I hope this cross yeilds some results. :pray:

Thanks for the replies. :) Curious if not getting a scab means I should expect any improvements. I am so bummed lately. I was thinking about consulting a Plastic surgeon. Honestly, I am a bit leary of doing another dermabrasion or even a spot dermabrasion. Smoothbeam doesn't seem to do alot for the larger scars.... Still may have a few more though. I hope this cross yeilds some results. :pray:

Don't be bummed, I have gotten great results with the crosses I have done(no scabs) and I plan on doing more soon! Cheer up and take care, RuPerki :D

Well, last night a flake of skin (whitish) came off from the inner part of the scab and the area seems to be a bit pink now. So possibly I did get some sort of scab. But it was really more like just a flake of skin. Weird. The scar looks a bit more defined now but possiby smaller. It looks like it could do a bit of filling in still since it is a bit pink still. I really hope this works. I plan on waiting at least 3-4 weeks and trying more. :)

How aggressive were you in the treatment? That is, how long did you soak the applicator in the acid and how long did you leave the applicator on each scar? I crossed myself last Friday, just like you, and I still have pretty dark scabs on all of the scars I treated. I imagine it'll be at least another couple days before even the first begin to fall off. They don't even itch yet.

To answer the questions I asked you, I soaked the toothpick for around a minute or so periodically, but when I was crossing a really small scar, I'd often just move the applicator from the larger scar to the smaller without soaking, or only dipping and then wiping the excess on the edge of the vial. I held the applicator on each for 10-12 seconds.

It took forever, by the way. I crossed pretty much every scar I have that is visible in a magnifying mirror, including 34 just between my eyebrows. I sharpened several toothpicks to varying widths in order to get at soe very, very miniscule scars that I couldn't get to last time. I was at it for five hours.

I soaked the applicator for around 2 minutes. It is a small bottle of tca so i just put the toothpick in and let it soak. It was a colored toothpick. (pale yellow) I wonder if that matters. I made sure it wasn't dripping but still heavily saturated and just touched it to the inside of the scar once (approx. 5 seconds). This is kind of a larger boxcar. It did sting and frost. I have frequented this forum for a while now and did my homework. I noticed that the entire scar did not frost. But still most of it. I thought about reapplying to get a total frost but decided not since it is my first real cross in a conspicuous spot (middle of the cheek). It did everything most say happens. It frosted, the area slightly swelled and turned red but no real scab!!! Darn. Still looked different and like I mentioned a small white flake of skin came off last night and the area is still a bit pink. Was I not agressive enough?? This scar is old. Has been dermabraded, spot dermabraded, microdermabraded, collagen injected, peeled peeled and yada yada yada. I had performed some spot peels on the area with a weaker solution. I abraded the spot with the end of a qtip dipped in tca (15%). It yielded very light scabs which fell off after 4-5 days. This solution which I just used was STRONG. It's impossible to say if it was really 100% but was supposed to be and seemed quite potent. : ) I just wanted to be cautious since this scar is on the cheek in a very obvious spot. Weird, my scars aren't that bad but at certain angles seem to be real noticeable and I dread the idea of making something larger. Do you press hard or just touch it to the scar?? I have read alot on this topic and it seems some of the professionals performing this press hard. I am concerned since this is not really an icepick, pressing hard may cause the scar to form deeper. If it were an icepick, I would go for it and press hard. My theory was that for a boxcar, just a simple new scab formation and healing may cause some positive results. Since I am female it seems every small scar seems to be an issue, however the one I'm working on is not too deep but kind of larger. Once I really know how my skin responds, I plan on doing more, alot more. :)

I press hard when applying, and I also try to cover the whole area of the scar. Not all of my scars are icepicks. In fact, I'm not sure any of them really are, except on my left temple (which are the ones that have responded best thus far, including two that damn near completely vanished to the point where I didn't even treat them a second time). The small size, irregular shapes, and shallowness of them makes it hard for me to classify them. Pressing hard does create a small hole where the toothpick goes in, but the hole goes away by the time the scab comes off.

How long do you consider a good time to wait between treatments? I think the general recommended time I read is 4-6 weeks. I thought possibly about trying it again after 3. I think it's great the people who get good improvements. It doesn't look like I will real scabs but maybe next time hopefully I will. I think the scabbing is what causes the majority of improvements. Still no change in my scar. On one side of the scar, the edges look a little more raised or pronounced but overall the scar looks a little smaller in diameter. Next time, I will make sure the entire scar is frosted, even if I have to do more than one application.

How long do you consider a good time to wait between treatments? I think the general recommended time I read is 4-6 weeks. I thought possibly about trying it again after 3. I think it's great the people who get good improvements. It doesn't look like I will real scabs but maybe next time hopefully I will. I think the scabbing is what causes the majority of improvements. Still no change in my scar. On one side of the scar, the edges look a little more raised or pronounced but overall the scar looks a little smaller in diameter. Next time, I will make sure the entire scar is frosted, even if I have to do more than one application.

3 is too soon. You need to allow ample enough time for the skin to heal properly and 3 weeks isn't enough.

Plus, that's not allowing much time for collagen production. Wait at least 4 weeks. There's no point in applying a high concentration of TCA to skin that hasn't healed properly.

Yes, you are right I believe about waiting at least 4 weeks. It seems that the skin could be too vulnerable in it's weakened state and with 100% tca, probably not a good idea to chance it. However... one thought... could it be possible that the skin in its weakened state, may be more likely to respond??? Just a thought. Better not experiment on the center of my cheek though. lol. :)

Ok, well I just did my second tca cross on my cluster of scars. It has only been two weeks but I realized I hadn't been aggressive enough to even create a real scab and by gosh this is a bad scar. I theorized that possibly the slightly weakened condition of the skin would yeild some sort of results. Funny though, I seemed to notice some sort of improvement in my skin. Could have been as well attributed to the smoothbeam a month or two ago. I havn't perfected this cross technique yet, however I must stress, it dawned on me that protective eyewear might not be a bad idea since there is a possibility this could splash in the eye causing permanent damage. So for your review are my pics. I do have scars, more notably on the right cheek around one inch to the right of my nose which is a very conspicous, impossible to hide area. My skin appears taught since I used a high acetone toner before crossing: Clinique #4. I let the tooth pick soak in the tca, I made sure it was not dripping and very carefully poked the scar, not too hard but harder then the previous cross. This is more of a shallower boxcar but larger in diameter or total surface size. It used to be an icepick, smaller but DEEP. Had a dermabrasion around 15? years ago which created the larger but shallow (BETTER imo) boxcar. I almost had the CO2 laser on it but was concerned that the skin may become too thin. I also treated some smaller scars as well.

Another pic, so close it shows the pores. :ninja:

post-2954-1143872097_thumb.jpg

post-2954-1143872124_thumb.jpg

post-2954-1143872097_thumb.jpg

post-2954-1143872124_thumb.jpg