Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
njdevsfan21

How long will I need to use the gel?

I've only been using it for about a month, I have moderate acne on my cheeks, and that the rate its helping, I'm confident by summer I'll be clear.

But I have question. Once I am clear, how long will I have to keep using it? I'm 18, and because of that, will I have to use it for the next 10 years of my life, or what? (I've had acne since age 14, I'm hoping its the type that goes away on its own in the early 20s, and doesnt continue on to be adult acne)... but is there anyway of knowing for sure other than to stop using it for a while and just see what happens?

It sucks but the only real thing you can do is to just stop and see if it comes back or not. No way to really tell. However after only 1 month I'm sorry to say but you'll probably need to stay on it a little longer because your body probably hasnt outgrown it yet.

The Regimen is an ongoing treatment program, not a cure, so you will need to keep on it until you "grow out of" acne. If you have a family history of long-term acne, it might be something you need for many years.

Like the above ^ person said, after you are clear, you use the Regimen as a maintenance program to STAY clear. If you want to know if you have grown out of acne after awhile, you should gradually decrease your bp usage and see how your skin reacts. If all is well, eliminate a daily dosage and see how that goes. If all is well, eliminate it altogether and see how your skin does. If you stay clear after a few months, chances are good you may be okay. Usually people start to break out within a few days to a few weeks after stopping bp if they are going to.

Hope this helps.

The best way to figure out when you can stop with whatever acne regimen you're using is to ask your mom/dad/grandmom/grandpop when they grew out of acne. It's largely a genetic thing. In my family for instance, my dad still breaks out (and uses my gel on occasion) at 59. My mom has always been crystal clear.