Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RatherBeSurfing

Pityrosporum Folliculitis ?

OK, new to the forum & found you guys after a google search on folliculitis. WOW am I blown away that we're all experiencing the same problems with our skin AND our docs!! Like many others in this thread, I have suffered for YEARS with this stupid crap. Jaganess, your photos could be my face & back - I am going to find a way to post some pics tonight when I get home so that you can see.

I do have a bit of a different story, though. Here's my info:

1. 37 year old female

2. Have lived in the hot/humid climates of the southern U.S. my entire life, never had an issue with PF or acne before 3-4 years ago, and have struggled horriblywith it since then

3. Diagnosed with two different blood disorders within the past 2 years, one of them is autoimmune the other genetic

4. Currently see a hematologist for the blood disorders and a rheumatologist for the early onset of mild symptoms associated with SLE lupus (an autoimmune disorder that seems to be common in people with my blood disorders)

5. Have been to more dermatologists & have taken more oral/topical meds for this stupid skin crap than I care to admit. I've wasted hundreds & hundreds of dollars, and nothing has come close to even REMOTELY helping.

6. I am a competitive athlete, currently involved in multiple leagues playing tennis, and I am also training for a half-marathon (so I sweat daily... a LOT)

7. I struggle with my back, chest & the edges of my face most of all - all of which looks moderately OK in the morning & gradually works up in to an extremely itchy, inflamed mess by evening. The rash definitely spreads, as it's gradually moved to cover more & more of my back & chest since it first appeared.

So, here's where I am currently... About 2 months ago I took a fabulous beach vacation where I spent an entire week swimming in the ocean & relaxing, but panicked because I had forgotten all of the meds that my latest dermatologist told me were "essential" to clearing my skin (minocyclene, which was making me sick, and retin-a micro gel, plus a clindamycn foam type stuff). Lo & behold, after a week swimming in the sea & no meds, my skin looks better than it has in years and the nausea I'd been fighting for a month was completely gone. I promptly came home, dumped all of my skin meds in the garbage and decide that I've been right all along - this isn't acne, and I'm sick of the medications that seem to be making things worse instead of better. I'm now doing the following:

1. Salt water baths 2-3 times per week

2. In the off days, or mornings when I run & have to shower instead of soak in the tub, I use salt water dipped cotton balls & allow the salt water to air dry on the skin on my face, neck, chest & back.

3. I've ordered the ZNP Bar to try - I currently use a combination of Nizoral shampoo on my hair/back/face/chest, and Dial soap on the rest of my body.

4. I spray athlete's foot antifungal spray on the areas on my back before exercise & before bed, this seems to help keep things somewhat calmer, but definitely isn't curing anything.

I do have a derm appointment next month with a new doc, and am going to demand that she test one of the areas on my back or face -- I'm convinced now that it's fungal. My PF is quite itchy and painful around the line where my sports bra rubs, and moderately itchy/red everywhere else. I refuse to give up my exercise routine as it helps keep my blood/autoimmune issues at bay, so I am doing the best I can to deal with the skin issues.

I feel so VALIDATED to know that I'm not the only one out there struggling for a correct diagnosis and treatment. Why does it have to be so difficult?!! ugh...

Case Study

Pityrosporum folliculitis is a common inflammatory skin disorder that may mimic acne vulgaris. Some adolescents with recalcitrant follicular pustules or papules may have acne and Pityrosporum folliculitis simultaneously. Clinical response is dependent on treating both conditions.

These patients demonstrate that follicular papulopustular inflammation of the face, back, and chest may be due to a combination of acne vulgaris and Pityrosporum folliculitis, a common yet less frequently identified disorder. Symptoms often wax and wane depending on the patient’s activities, time of the year, current treatment regimens, and other factors. Pityrosporum folliculitis will often worsen with traditional acne therapy and dramatically respond to antifungal therapy.

Thanks for the link to the case study, clpersonal - I'm printing a copy & taking it with me to my derm appointment next month! :hifive:

After 2 years of expensive OTC meds, the only thing that cured me completely was head and shoulders, £2.50 bottle lol.

Read through this entire thread, it's pretty much completely documented in here what I've tried.

Thanks, ratherbeskating. I did read through the entire thread & found myself saying "yes" and "that's me" a lot as I read. It seems like we're all living/writing the same story with PF, just with different names. I've been using the Nizoral shampoo for a while, and it seems to do an okay job, but after reading about everyone else's success, I did go out & buy some Head & Shoulders yesterday to switch and see if I get better results from it.

Took a long sea-salt bath last night, plus used the H&S, but haven't noticed much difference today other than I'm slightly less red (still itchy, though). My fingers are crossed that it helps!

After 2 years of expensive OTC meds, the only thing that cured me completely was head and shoulders, £2.50 bottle lol.

Read through this entire thread, it's pretty much completely documented in here what I've tried.

hi everyone , since my pf already cure which is why i am less active in this forum. Just to inform that i been using head and shoulder as recommend by lot of forumers, it works well and cure my pf in a week . sounds bs right? You gotta try it yourself to believe it. At least that works for me.

thanks for the advice everyone. have a nice day.

I'm also showing great results after only 3 days of using the Head & Shoulders. My back is significantly less inflamed, doesn't itch/hurt as much, and the bumps that are left are in various stages of drying up. In addition, my chest & face, which weren't as bad as my back, but still had lots of bumps, are showing significant improvement, too. :dance:

It is truly amazing that me doing a Google search and finding a bulletin board discussing PF may have provided me with the answer to my skin issues that 3 board-certified dermatologists and hundreds of dollars worth of prescriptions coldn't. Wow...

It is truly amazing that me doing a Google search and finding a bulletin board discussing PF may have provided me with the answer to my skin issues that 3 board-certified dermatologists and hundreds of dollars worth of prescriptions coldn't. Wow...

Yep. Pretty amazing huh? :rolleyes: I won't start ranting about derms... but seriously. Wow.

Putting a 1:1 solution of propylene glycol on my face kinda irritates it. It makes it really itchy too.

I don't exactly know what propylene glycol is, but when you put water in it, it sorta makes the water "jump." At first, it was very intimidating to see because I would be putting it on my face, so I'm assuming it's some type of oil. I've only used it for two nights (left a thin layer during the night) and I've seen very little improvement. Probably not enough time to tell anyways. But I'm still going to continue with it and use 2% Nizoral shampoo as well. I also have some garlic tablets, so hopefully those will help too.

Putting a 1:1 solution of propylene glycol on my face kinda irritates it. It makes it really itchy too.

I don't exactly know what propylene glycol is, but when you put water in it, it sorta makes the water "jump." At first, it was very intimidating to see because I would be putting it on my face, so I'm assuming it's some type of oil. I've only used it for two nights (left a thin layer during the night) and I've seen very little improvement. Probably not enough time to tell anyways. But I'm still going to continue with it and use 2% Nizoral shampoo as well. I also have some garlic tablets, so hopefully those will help too.

Sure it's not acne you have? It's not that common with PF on the face.

I am still having good luck keeping PF under control with:

1. 15% mandelic serum (applied nightly)

2. A very low sugar/low yeast diet - this has helped the most I think

3. Salicylic body wash, a.m. and p.m.

If I am starting to get a few spots on my chest, I will also add in Tea Tree Oil for a little while and then discontinue it when the spots are gone.

I also periodically do a round of antifungal suppliments. I take 2 at a time, for a few weeks and then rotate to different ones. I have found that I don't need to take them as regularly as I used to and I still stay clear. The supplements I rotate are coconut oil, oil of oregano, UGN (undecylenic acid, grapefruit seed oil, and neem), ACV/garlic tablets, and Olive leaf.

I really do think that drastically cutting down on sugar, white breads and alcohol has helped tremendously - fungii feed off of sugar and yeasts, so cutting out the sugar basically starves them to death.

I've purchased some Nizoral Anti-Dandruff Shampoo and was wondering how I should go about using this product. Should it be applied in the affected areas by rubbing it in and allowing it to dry, or should it be washed off after applying?

Sure it's not acne you have? It's not that common with PF on the face.

Yes I'm pretty sure. I took doxycycline and it seemed to have flared up. I do have acne mixed in there, but I'm pretty sure it's PF since it's just tiny bumps that aren't inflamed unless I wash it. It seems to be responding to the Nizoral, but too early to tell..

Wow, just read through a lot of my old posts in here, can't beleive how far I've come. Ran out of head and shoulders for the moment, and I'm very tempted to just leave it for now and see how it goes - after all, if it comes back, nothing stopping me from going down to the supermarket and getting some more. I really have no problem having to use it for the rest of my life as long as it works so damn good :)

Wow, just read through a lot of my old posts in here, can't beleive how far I've come. Ran out of head and shoulders for the moment, and I'm very tempted to just leave it for now and see how it goes - after all, if it comes back, nothing stopping me from going down to the supermarket and getting some more. I really have no problem having to use it for the rest of my life as long as it works so damn good :)

Hey I was reading through your posts and I had a few questions. Did you ever put the shampoo on your face? And when you say put a thin layer on, do you dilute it first with water?

The reason why I'm asking is because i was diagnosed with Pf and i tried your method and till now it seems like it is working great but i don't want to get happy too soon. Although i am peeling like crazy and it burned a lot. But after the skin has almost all peeled, my skin hasn't been this clear in ages. Anyways i'm doing the maintainable thing right now, once a day in shower. It's been a week and I've only gotten a couple of new spots. Fingers are crossed, and i want to thank you for posting your story because it helped me a lot.

Hey I was reading through your posts and I had a few questions. Did you ever put the shampoo on your face? And when you say put a thin layer on, do you dilute it first with water?

The reason why I'm asking is because i was diagnosed with Pf and i tried your method and till now it seems like it is working great but i don't want to get happy too soon. Although i am peeling like crazy and it burned a lot. But after the skin has almost all peeled, my skin hasn't been this clear in ages. Anyways i'm doing the maintainable thing right now, once a day in shower. It's been a week and I've only gotten a couple of new spots. Fingers are crossed, and i want to thank you for posting your story because it helped me a lot.

Hey, I'm REALLY glad this has worked for you, it makes me really happy knowing that I might have helped even one person.

I never had PF on my face, so never needed to put it there, and I would always applying it un-diluted. If it starts to come back pretty bad, you might want to leave it on over night for another night, and then continue maintanance. I've run out of head and shoulders, so I'm going cold turkey, and it's been o.k so far, couple new spots, nothing more. But I am on tane (started tane AFTER I cleared myself with this method) so I think the tane is doing the maintenance now.

Keep me updated please, I'm interested in knowing how this goes, hope it could work for all of us! 2 years ago when I started searching for an answer, there was no quick fix like this.

have read the very helpful messages re: bacne/pityrosporum folliculitis. Can anyone advise on what topical acne treatment would go well with the use of the antifungals such as Nizoral or ZNP bar, so that I can attack both possible causes of my problem? Right now am using only retin-a, but suspect fungal cause as well. However, not sure that they are compatible. I realize antibiotics are not the route to go.

many thanks.

The thing I can't seem to determine is whether the Acne/Folliculitus on my forehead is Acne or Folliculitus. I've been wanting to try putting some Nizoral Shampoo on my forehead and just leave it for about 5 minutes, see what happens. But I'm afraid if it is Acne, is will just make the situation worse, rather than help it

Anyone got any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks

Hi all...Let me make this a short story...ALWAYS HAS FLAWLESS SKIN---then I got pregnant! WHat happened? All my hormones gave me cystic acne all over my entire face. Left some scarring then it all went away. I was however left with these bumps (now I have proof it was PF) as of may 2008. I was using tazorac then retin-a. Nothing helped. Antibiotics made no difference. It really started getting bothersome looking to me in august. I saw this derm that only wanted my money and told me I had sebaceous gland hyperplaysia...NOT!!! She wanted me to do a 500 dollar laser treatment but I passed. I just kept researching and typed in my exact problem. COLORLESS BUMPS ON FACE and came up with PF. I saw a derm 2 weeks ago today and was given doxy and gly/sal face pads. All he would tell me was that "IT'S ALL ACNE"..i mentioned PF and he wouldnt even hear me out. I found this posting here 2 days before the appt and read on the nizoral shampoo. So I used it for 2 weeks on my forehead--leave it on for 10-15 minutes and guess what??? ALL THE BUMPS VANISHED!!! I can't thank this website more and everyone who posts on it.. I don't know if that's safe or not to use for 2 weeks...the bottle says to use 4 times a week for 2 weeks. My bumps are gone :clap: and i am going to stop now, but can anyone suggest what I can do for maintenance? Should I use nizoral once a week now or that ZNP (or whatever it's called) bar? PLEEEEEASE someone respond. I have literally come a long way....I just want my skin back..Thanks guys

Hi all...Let me make this a short story...ALWAYS HAS FLAWLESS SKIN---then I got pregnant! WHat happened? All my hormones gave me cystic acne all over my entire face. Left some scarring then it all went away. I was however left with these bumps (now I have proof it was PF) as of may 2008. I was using tazorac then retin-a. Nothing helped. Antibiotics made no difference. It really started getting bothersome looking to me in august. I saw this derm that only wanted my money and told me I had sebaceous gland hyperplaysia...NOT!!! She wanted me to do a 500 dollar laser treatment but I passed. I just kept researching and typed in my exact problem. COLORLESS BUMPS ON FACE and came up with PF. I saw a derm 2 weeks ago today and was given doxy and gly/sal face pads. All he would tell me was that "IT'S ALL ACNE"..i mentioned PF and he wouldnt even hear me out. I found this posting here 2 days before the appt and read on the nizoral shampoo. So I used it for 2 weeks on my forehead--leave it on for 10-15 minutes and guess what??? ALL THE BUMPS VANISHED!!! I can't thank this website more and everyone who posts on it.. I don't know if that's safe or not to use for 2 weeks...the bottle says to use 4 times a week for 2 weeks. My bumps are gone :clap: and i am going to stop now, but can anyone suggest what I can do for maintenance? Should I use nizoral once a week now or that ZNP (or whatever it's called) bar? PLEEEEEASE someone respond. I have literally come a long way....I just want my skin back..Thanks guys

I have very stubborn folliculitis and have made Nizoral my regular face cleanser. I don't know if you have it as bad as me, but I would continue with Nizoral once or twice a week. If it comes back, go back to using it every day. I was worried about using Nizoral so much, but upon research for long term use of Nizoral I couldn't find anything worrisome about it- in fact, it said that in the long run Nizoral could have an anti-androgen property that could reduce acne and scalp hair-loss in men. If the Nizoral ever starts to lose it's effectiveness I switch it up with Head and Shoulders.

In response to the person who was worrying that Nizoral would make acne worse, my dermatologist said it wasn't the case. While anti-biotics make folliculitis worse, anti-fungals don't seem to make acne any worse. I also read that folliculitis can occur alongside acne and make it worse.

I have very stubborn folliculitis and have made Nizoral my regular face cleanser. I don't know if you have it as bad as me, but I would continue with Nizoral once or twice a week. If it comes back, go back to using it every day. I was worried about using Nizoral so much, but upon research for long term use of Nizoral I couldn't find anything worrisome about it- in fact, it said that in the long run Nizoral could have an anti-androgen property that could reduce acne and scalp hair-loss in men. If the Nizoral ever starts to lose it's effectiveness I switch it up with Head and Shoulders.

In response to the person who was worrying that Nizoral would make acne worse, my dermatologist said it wasn't the case. While anti-biotics make folliculitis worse, anti-fungals don't seem to make acne any worse. I also read that folliculitis can occur alongside acne and make it worse.

THANK YOU THANK YOOOOOU :D for responding to my post. I think I will continue to use it a little longer. There still are a few bumps but I WANT ALL OF IT GONE! Selfish??? I just don't look like I use to in my opinion and it depresses me. I have MELASMA on my upper lip too. It was off for a few months then I got back on th pill after a year and a half and 2 weeks in to it, I am charlie chaplin again! Nothing hydroquinone wont remove cause it's so light, but it is still butt ugly! Anyway, I will keep you posted on progress...thanks again akko

Hi everyone, I just chanced upon this website and am hoping some of you will be able to help me.

I've been suffering from PF for a few yrs as well, but it worsened over the past 2 yrs. I went to see a derm, and he gave me a anti-fungal shampoo and cream to apply on my back and forehead. the cream helped for my forehead, but my back remained the same. He then gave me some oral tablets to take but my family were pretty concerned over the side effects of it so they made me stop. Apparently it could cause liver failure by extensive use. Recently it got really bad and acne kept appearing, they're red bumps so i'm not sure if they're acne or PF. I've read several pages of this thread and from what I gather, Mandelic acid and Head & shoulders shampoo works.Just wondering how do you guys apply them and how often do you use them? Also, what kind of Head and Shoulders shampoo is that? The normal kind? Would appreciate other recommendations I could try out too. Also, how long did it take to cure? It's beginning to really bother me...I hate it that I can't wear whatever I want and instead having to cover up.

Thanks so much.

Use Head and Shoulders Classic Clean. I use Nizoral or Head and shoulders twice a day on my face, and once to twice a day on my body. It keeps it down nicely. But another thing I've noticed is it seems to flare up when I eat more sugar- so I'm TRYING to cut it down. :rolleyes:

It's also possible you have both acne and folliculitis on your back. Try the shampoo for a couple of weeks (make sure you leave it on for 3-5 minutes) and if it doesn't clear it completely, throw some benzoyle peroxide or mandelic acid into the mix.

Good luck!

Use Head and Shoulders Classic Clean. I use Nizoral or Head and shoulders twice a day on my face, and once to twice a day on my body. It keeps it down nicely. But another thing I've noticed is it seems to flare up when I eat more sugar- so I'm TRYING to cut it down. :rolleyes:

It's also possible you have both acne and folliculitis on your back. Try the shampoo for a couple of weeks (make sure you leave it on for 3-5 minutes) and if it doesn't clear it completely, throw some benzoyle peroxide or mandelic acid into the mix.

Good luck!

Thank you.. :) Will PF be immuned to Head and Shoulders shampoo? And where do I get mandelic acid? Can I just get from a normal pharmacy? I'm not from the States so usually we go see a doctor for medication rather than the chemist. Also, what does it mean by controlling PF? Does that mean no red bumps appear anymore or having a clear back? I have many brown spots left on my back and it's so stubborn, I can't seem to get them off by anti-fungal cream. One more question I have is, if you use topical products, does that really mean your PF is controlled? Because it seems to me the best way is to get rid of the fungal in your body so you don't have PF appearing time and again..but the oral medicine has dangerous side effects. Have you used oral medicine though?