Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hammie

How do you look more presentable/mature?

I look so juvenile!

I do too. I'm 24 and I look like I'm about 14 or 15. I was at a Friday's with my dad yesterday, and the waitress was suggesting some alcoholic beverages to my "grandpa", joking about how I could have a smoothie or a Shirley Temple if I liked. I asked for a Corona since it's been a while since I've had a beer, and her jaw dropped....she just laughed and said I was so cute.....(I'm probably about 4 years older than her).....My huge red zits didn't help me look any older.....

I gave her my licence and she was like "you can't be 24!!!" I just said "can I please have a Corona?"

My dad then corrected her that he was my father not my grandfather.......poor waitress.....

I can make myself look a little older if I wear a lot of makeup, streighten my hair and pull it up into a bun or a chignon, and wear a suit or dress pants and a nice blazer, and of course heels......but even then, I feel like I look like a little kid playing dress up.......

If I wear tight jeans, heels, and low cut top and makeup I can pull off looking like I'm 19 or 20, but I always get carded if I try to go out, and sometimes they even ask for backup ID.....

I know this sucks now, but people tell me in ten years I'll be glad I look like a kid......I'm still waiting....

It's also not just your appearance that makes you appear mature. It's your mannerisms (sp?), the way you speak, walk, respond, etc. The way you dress is only a small part of it.

I look so juvenile!

do u do ur hair and makeup everyday? if not, it'll help

and if u wear like plain t-shirts or sweats start wearing nice shirts and jeans.

just copy off of people you think look and dress well

when i went to get my picture taken the lady asked me "You're over 14, right?" hehe. Geez, I'm 20 :D . If I want to look mature I wear blazers (the cute ones - not like powersuit type) and I avoid glittery/kiddy/cartoonish looking clothes. I also watch some makeovers shows like "What Not To Wear" - you can get some ideas from it, even if u don't like Stacy and Clinton :razz:

and more make-up than usual, but not too much

I'm always strangely flattered when someone thinks I'm younger than I really am. I've never been defensive about my age (I'm 19). I look at it thinking: when I'm forty, I'll be a MILF! Lol.

Anyway, when I want to look older I might straighten my hair (even though it's already straight) and usually dress casual and laid-back. I don't like dressing up to looker older, it feels like I'm trying too hard (or like Labgirl81 put it- a little kid playing dress-up). It's really down to mannerisms; I just watch the way I talk (limit swear words ;)) and behave more responsively. Or I act serene. :angel:

I'm also kind of short (5'1), so I've always felt that it didn't really help me in looking my actual age. I used to wear high heels a lot, a long time ago. Now I can't stand it. I feel and look older wearing regular flat shoes. Just be comfortable with yourself and your style.

I look so juvenile!

and if u wear like plain t-shirts or sweats start wearing nice shirts and jeans.

I had a bad haircut, I'm still wondering about what to do about it. I can't carry myself in those 'mature' clothes which just brings out my fatness

when i went to get my picture taken the lady asked me "You're over 14, right?" hehe. Geez, I'm 20 :D . If I want to look mature I wear blazers (the cute ones - not like powersuit type) and I avoid glittery/kiddy/cartoonish looking clothes. I also watch some makeovers shows like "What Not To Wear" - you can get some ideas from it, even if u don't like Stacy and Clinton :razz:

and more make-up than usual, but not too much

Any sources on the net?

I'm always strangely flattered when someone thinks I'm younger than I really am. I've never been defensive about my age (I'm 19). I look at it thinking: when I'm forty, I'll be a MILF! Lol.

Anyway, when I want to look older I might straighten my hair (even though it's already straight) and usually dress casual and laid-back. I don't like dressing up to looker older, it feels like I'm trying too hard (or like Labgirl81 put it- a little kid playing dress-up). It's really down to mannerisms; I just watch the way I talk (limit swear words ;)) and behave more responsively. Or I act serene. :angel:

I'm also kind of short (5'1), so I've always felt that it didn't really help me in looking my actual age. I used to wear high heels a lot, a long time ago. Now I can't stand it. I feel and look older wearing regular flat shoes. Just be comfortable with yourself and your style.

It doesn't help that I'm only 4'11. And I have the voice of a small child. My boyfriend, who is blessed with perfect pitch, was attempting to teach me to sing and trying to convince me I'm not tone deaf (I beg to differ). He teaches music part time to kids, and he said I wasn't tone deaf, I just have a narrow range, and I need to sing in a high key. He used the softwear he uses with his students and told me to sing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star into the microphone.....In order for me to sing on key, I had to sing in the key he uses for small children.....he played it back so we could hear it, and I must say I'm not completely tone deaf, but I sounded like a 4 year old....He said I sounded a bit disturbing and told me to never ever sing on key again......

Being little and blonde with pimples makes me look so young. I usually don't curse much and I have a pretty decent vocabulary, but as soon as I open my mouth and speak I sound like a kid.....And it doesn't help that on occasion I actually buy my clothes at kid stores, because a true 0 is hard to find.......

I'm pretty responsible. I mean I'm a full fledged grown up. I'm out of college, I live on my own. I have a career. I manage my finances pretty well.

When I was about 21 I got to meet Trish McEvoy because I worked on her whole line of blushes. She came to evaluate the shades and when she saw me she asked me who's daughter I was, and told me I looked cute in a labcoat.....

I look so juvenile!

I had a bad haircut, I'm still wondering about what to do about it. I can't carry myself in those 'mature' clothes which just brings out my fatness

ask your friends to help you style your hair and for fashion tips or just play around with your hair yourself. i was in your same shoes with a real bad hair cut, but after playing around with it, it looks great. try curling your hair and having some bangs, it'll soften the effects acne has on ur appearance. it works for me.

the "in" fashions now are looser and stuff so try wearing a drop waist cami or a long and loose shirt and just some cool jeans with holes in them. you'll look great in no time.

It doesn't help that I'm only 4'11. And I have the voice of a small child. My boyfriend, who is blessed with perfect pitch, was attempting to teach me to sing and trying to convince me I'm not tone deaf (I beg to differ). He teaches music part time to kids, and he said I wasn't tone deaf, I just have a narrow range, and I need to sing in a high key. He used the softwear he uses with his students and told me to sing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star into the microphone.....In order for me to sing on key, I had to sing in the key he uses for small children.....he played it back so we could hear it, and I must say I'm not completely tone deaf, but I sounded like a 4 year old....He said I sounded a bit disturbing and told me to never ever sing on key again......

Being little and blonde with pimples makes me look so young. I usually don't curse much and I have a pretty decent vocabulary, but as soon as I open my mouth and speak I sound like a kid.....And it doesn't help that on occasion I actually buy my clothes at kid stores, because a true 0 is hard to find.......

I'm pretty responsible. I mean I'm a full fledged grown up. I'm out of college, I live on my own. I have a career. I manage my finances pretty well.

When I was about 21 I got to meet Trish McEvoy because I worked on her whole line of blushes. She came to evaluate the shades and when she saw me she asked me who's daughter I was, and told me I looked cute in a labcoat.....

:comfort: You definitely sound itty-bitty, but it's a cute thing!

I can relate with the work experience. I used to work at a cafe and there was a customer there this one time that was staring at me from the counter for ten minutes straight. I was weirded out but I thought nothing of it. Next thing I know, he goes off to the back and demands to speak to the boss. When the customer left, a manager came up to me and told me the customer wanted to file a complaint against child exploitation. He thought I was 12! Everyone got a laugh out of it at work and patted my head for the rest of the day.

Btw, that's one thing that bugs me about my small stature- people patting your head like you're some kid. Lol, or resting their arm on it. And having to get on tip-toes to hug someone. Ahh well. :angel:

I look so juvenile!

ask your friends to help you style your hair and for fashion tips or just play around with your hair yourself. i was in your same shoes with a real bad hair cut, but after playing around with it, it looks great. try curling your hair and having some bangs, it'll soften the effects acne has on ur appearance. it works for me.

the "in" fashions now are looser and stuff so try wearing a drop waist cami or a long and loose shirt and just some cool jeans with holes in them. you'll look great in no time.

Thanks!

I played around....a bit too much actually.. now my bangs are too short! What am I to do now...can't go round wearing a cap all the time...

I played around....a bit too much actually.. now my bangs are too short! What am I to do now...can't go round wearing a cap all the time...

I wanna style it....no fuss.....maybe something like

IPB Image

IPB Image

I've never really styled my harir before. Any tips about what stuff I need and how to go about doing it?

I want to have a high crown too (kind of like hair that puffs up, puffy), but no idea how to go about doing that.

And....I like hair that tapers at my neck...don't know how to get that either.

heya guys!

OMG - this thread makes me laugh so much :lol::lol::lol: I look WAY WAY younger than my age too and people constantly point that out!......

Every time I apply for a job, I get told the minimum age!

I went to pick up a bottle of wine for my parents' dinner party and the guy at the checkout asked me "are you a big girl?" I told him yes!! I'm 22 :shifty: He goes, "well.... I'll just let it go...this one time.." OMG!!

My friends all tease me that I look 12....actually, if you look at old photos of me, my appearance hasn't changed at all..

I GET HIT ON BY HIGH SCHOOL KIDDIES!!!! It has happened more than once....and it's just TOO funny! I just watch their jaws drop when I tell them I've completed my university undergrad. Hahahaha! If only I could attract I guy who's my age....

Just today, my parents had some clients over and they asked me what high school I go to...

I guess I can't really help it much... being a short, scrawny, blond...... with acne! People always say that appearance doesn't really matter...but it does. People do judge others based on appearance - it is the easiest and quickest way.....not necessarily accurate.. but it DOES happen... LOTS... I DO feel like I have to work harder to prove myself due to my young appearance... but at the same time, I'm happy because it's a part of who I am... These are the cards I was dealt when I was born and I have to make the best of it.

I guess I can't really help it much... being a short, scrawny, blond...... with acne! People always say that appearance doesn't really matter...but it does. People do judge others based on appearance - it is the easiest and quickest way.....not necessarily accurate.. but it DOES happen... LOTS... I DO feel like I have to work harder to prove myself due to my young appearance... but at the same time, I'm happy because it's a part of who I am... These are the cards I was dealt when I was born and I have to make the best of it.

I totally hear you!!! I'd look twelve too if it wasn't fom my um, ample, chest. I'm 4'11, 105lbs and blonde. I don't even wear a size 0. Half my clothes come from Abercrombie Kids, and forget about finding business attire in a girls size 12 or 14......I'm offically a size -1. I usually don't wear makeup and my hair is highlighted but looks natural, and I often wear it down and curly or in a ponytail......the acne really doen't help the situation....

I will always be the "kid" at work. I'm a senior chemist and my boss refers to me as a kid....Buying alcohol at a liquor store is funny.....The look at me like i'm joking when I try to buy a bottle of wine.....I can't even by my dad cigaretts......

I get hit on by teenagers too....I was camping last summer, and I got hit on by a group of 14 year old boys.....They had pne of the kids little sister cme up to me and let me know that they thought I was "bangin."

I'm was like 10 years older then them......