Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Micah

Accutane for a month and side effects

I've been on Accutane (40mg 2x a day) for a month today and in, I think, about the 3rd week of being on Accutane I started to have random nosebleeds. Not everyday but every few days my nose will either bleed randomly or after I blow my nose.

Recently I've been feeling a lot more tired (my eyes are drier than usual) and this weekend I could feel more body aches as well as a little, random abdomen pain. Part of me thinks this is just normal side effects and although they've progressively gotten worse, I want to believe that I'm okay and that I should and can continue taking my Accutane prescription.

Could anyone here give me some insight and advice? I think I should call my dermatologist tomorrow just to make sure but has anyone else had similar problems with good results in the long term? Should I be concerned or just stick it out for a while longer? I don't want to do any permenant damage to my body.

I guess on a similar note, should I avoid milk all together since it contains vitamin A? Which foods should I drop and which foods should I consume more often?

Do you have ringing in your ears and headches as well?

Go see your derm, and if he is worried, he should lower your dose to 60 or 40 mg/day.

As for food:

While on tane, you want to avoid food and products rich in Vitamin A and especially retinol (that will transform into vitamin A in your body).

Biggest sources of retinol are:

- liver

- egg yolks

- some cereals (check the box)

- milk, cheese, butter, fortified

margarine (check the box)

- fish oil from livers

- multivitamins (check the box)

Biggest sources of carotenoids (which will transform into vitamin A, but the ratio is 12 times lower than retinol)

- sweet potatoes

- green leafy vegetables (spinach)

- ripe papaya, ripe mango

- pumpkin, cantaloupe

- carrots

yikes! my diet needs to change because there are generally eggs, milk, and cheese in a lot of what I eat regularly (like cereal for breakfast, eggs sometimes, and milk throughout the day).

I guess that eating most fruits and veggies are okay as well as beef, chicken and fish? I bought some salmon and avacados to help with eating the right foods, but besides all the carbs like pasta and breads, what other foods should I eat?

Also, I'd love to get some advice on these side-effects that I'm having! My derm can't talk to me until tomorrow and that's not good!