Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I usually wear make-up during the week, but this past week I've decided to go sans make-up and it has just been so relaxing and laid back :angel:. I didn't have to worry about taking the time to apply it (or waste time applying it), and allowed people to see me without makeup (which I hadn't done for so long), and I just felt/feel really good.

About a couple of weeks ago I had my period and was really stressed out because of midterms and consequently had a breakout. I let my face recover this past week by not doing anything to it; no make-up and no topical medications. I love what I'm seeing and feeling; my face is completely smooth and clear, and I feel so relieved. I thought going a week without wearing make-up would be stressful and make me feel shitty, but it's had the complete opposite effect. I just felt like sharing my experience and encouraging others to try it (if you wear make-up all the time), especially if you have your spring break coming up :angel: .

That's awesome! :)

I wish I could give my face a break like that too....just still too self conscious though. I even wait till my roomates go to bed before I take my makeup off so they don't see how bad it looks! :wacko:

*sigh*

i have to have at least foundation on. i can go outside even without eyeliner, mascara. but foundation or pressed powder is really important to me. my face is very oily, yuck!.

Guest Kaelynd

I'm wayyyy too self concious.

I can only dream of the day when I finish accutane with perfect skin.

I usually wear make-up during the week, but this past week I've decided to go sans make-up and it has just been so relaxing and laid back :angel:. I didn't have to worry about taking the time to apply it (or waste time applying it), and allowed people to see me without makeup (which I hadn't done for so long), and I just felt/feel really good.

About a couple of weeks ago I had my period and was really stressed out because of midterms and consequently had a breakout. I let my face recover this past week by not doing anything to it; no make-up and no topical medications. I love what I'm seeing and feeling; my face is completely smooth and clear, and I feel so relieved. I thought going a week without wearing make-up would be stressful and make me feel shitty, but it's had the complete opposite effect. I just felt like sharing my experience and encouraging others to try it (if you wear make-up all the time), especially if you have your spring break coming up :angel: .

I've tried it today,I still have allot of redness on my cheek from old pimple,and some acne.I've been so self conscious and its so tiring to worry about your makeup and acne and my face get really dry from makeup sometime it end up looking worst.

Ill see how long i can go without makeup,

cheers to no coverup

hi That is wonderful if you dont have bad acne then you can do that some people are born dam right ugly and should wear make-up somtimes it doesn't help them lol

I'm really self-conscious too; I used to wear make-up even when I was at home with my family. I didn't let them see me without it. I felt so unattractive, but it was all in my head (and I only have/get mild acne). Eventually, I started letting my close friends see me without make-up, and then my family. My brother was the most insensitive :confused:- he would always ask me why I wore it or start picking apart my appearance. Now that I haven't been wearing make-up, he says I look much better :angel:. I think that using so many products on your face can actually do more harm than good- but for a lot of people, they need it. Going au naturale doesn't work for everyone (in clearing them up), but I think everyone should try it to give their skin a breather and let it heal. Start off easy; if you were like me, start going sans make-up around your family and best friends, you'll feel like a pressure has been taken off your shoulders. Go weekends without wearing make-up, or wash it all off *as soon* as you get home. If you ever get days off from school or work (like spring break)- try to go the whole week without wearing it. And go some days without topicals to give your skin a rest.

I try to put makeup on only when necessary... I dont put it on for school or work.. and yes i feel embarassed and dont want to talk to people but i feel gross to have that gunk on my face at the same time. I only wear it when i go out with friends like to a bar or club.. which is like twice a week. I dont care if my family sees me without makeup or even my closest friends... but guys or girls that are aquaintainces i will avoid at all costs unless i am powered up with coverup! Im lucky because my job is tutoring little kids and i dont care what they think haha! But it makes me feel good not to have makeup on and eventually ill be able to never wear it again (hopefully) :pray:

That's really good Raleigh.

I just add translucent powder into my daily routine because of my sunscreen.

And I want to add, I really like your posts! :D

Okay, you inspired me.

Let me tell you, I have been wearing makeup since the 9th grade (and I'm 27 now). I didn't even have acne at all until I was 25. I wore makeup because I always thought my albino skin was too pale, so I wore it for a little color. I wore it every day, all the time, even camping. (I know - it's dysfunctional). I started to notice in my early 20s that my skin looked like crap. I had no acne yet, but my skin looked blotchy and terrible. That should have made me quit with the makeup, but of course, my skin looked bad, so I kept covering it up. Then I started to get little clogged pores all over my face when I turned 25, which then turned into acne.

Anyway, I have gotten the acne mostly under control (diet/internal cleansing), and I'm still working at finding out the underlying cause (because when you get it at 25, something is OUT OF WHACK), but I've always had a little nagging suspicion that the makeup was contributing, if not causing the clogged pores. (ever hear of acne cosmetica?) I wear MMU, but still, it's not letting my skin fully breathe.

I also read some chapters of a book called "Skin Deep." It's all about psychological underpinnings to disease, including skin disease. I just skimmed a couple of free chapters online, but it was basically like, "what is hiding in you that needs to come out?" For some people, it's all this childhood stuff. For me, it was like "IT'S MY FUCKING FACE! "

So I've gone the last 3 days without makeup. Mind you people, my face does not look good, but somehow it doesn't look as bad as I always imagine it does. I'm on break from school and not working, so that makes it a hell of a lot easier. The first day I hid in my house all day, but I made myself go to my yoga class at night. Today I ran errands. Baby steps. I'm going to see if I can keep it up once I go back to school.

I realized that even with makeup, I'm always worried that it looks crappy or doesn't look natural. Makeup hid the red marks, but seemed to accentuate other flaws. So I'm either worried/embarrassed about my makeup or my real skin. Might as well let the skin breathe.

Whew, sorry for the long post ladies. That was a load off.

I'll let you know if the no makeup thing continues and how my skin reacts to it.

Oh, and please don't let makeup ruin your skin...

Okay, you inspired me.

Let me tell you, I have been wearing makeup since the 9th grade (and I'm 27 now). I didn't even have acne at all until I was 25. I wore makeup because I always thought my albino skin was too pale, so I wore it for a little color. I wore it every day, all the time, even camping. (I know - it's dysfunctional). I started to notice in my early 20s that my skin looked like crap. I had no acne yet, but my skin looked blotchy and terrible. That should have made me quit with the makeup, but of course, my skin looked bad, so I kept covering it up. Then I started to get little clogged pores all over my face when I turned 25, which then turned into acne.

Anyway, I have gotten the acne mostly under control (diet/internal cleansing), and I'm still working at finding out the underlying cause (because when you get it at 25, something is OUT OF WHACK), but I've always had a little nagging suspicion that the makeup was contributing, if not causing the clogged pores. (ever hear of acne cosmetica?) I wear MMU, but still, it's not letting my skin fully breathe.

I also read some chapters of a book called "Skin Deep." It's all about psychological underpinnings to disease, including skin disease. I just skimmed a couple of free chapters online, but it was basically like, "what is hiding in you that needs to come out?" For some people, it's all this childhood stuff. For me, it was like "IT'S MY FUCKING FACE! "

So I've gone the last 3 days without makeup. Mind you people, my face does not look good, but somehow it doesn't look as bad as I always imagine it does. I'm on break from school and not working, so that makes it a hell of a lot easier. The first day I hid in my house all day, but I made myself go to my yoga class at night. Today I ran errands. Baby steps. I'm going to see if I can keep it up once I go back to school.

I realized that even with makeup, I'm always worried that it looks crappy or doesn't look natural. Makeup hid the red marks, but seemed to accentuate other flaws. So I'm either worried/embarrassed about my makeup or my real skin. Might as well let the skin breathe.

I'll let you know if the no makeup thing continues and how my skin reacts to it.

Oooh you are brave , makeup has ruined my skin , but i cant go without it now ! my skin started to get a bit spotty at 15 , but not too bad , then i started to wear foundation and aaaaaaaggg ! ! my skin was dredfull , and the more makeup i wore :wall: It is a lot better now ,but im sure i would be completely clear if i didnt wear it , but the damage is done redmarks ! scars ! its just one big vicous circle ( bad spelling) good luck to you i wish i had been so brave and not so bloody vain .

That's really good Raleigh.

I just add translucent powder into my daily routine because of my sunscreen.

And I want to add, I really like your posts! :D

:angel: Thanks! That really means a lot to me. Such a nice thing to say :angel:

Okay, you inspired me.

Yay!!! :clap:

I know how that takes a lot of courage, and woo woo is right- it is a vicious cycle (wearing make-up because you break out, breaking out because you wear make-up). Definitely, the important thing is starting off easy. I really admire your decision to try it out and your desire to change your habits. It's definitely harder for people to quit something they've been used to doing for so long. You have such a great outlook and I wish you the best of luck!! Definitely keep us updated with how things go (and it makes me so happy to read that you've considered my suggestons about trying it over break). Remember, baby steps eventually lead to big strides. :angel: Thanks for your input!!

good job! I wish i had the guts to do that.

as soon as i get home from school, i take off my make up to let my skin breathe.

sometimes i stay home on weekends so i don't have to wear makeup.

Hello ladies,

Its been 3 days for me,I feel pretty good, a bit self-conscious walking around with nothing on.Im 24 and been wearing liquid foundation everyday since grade 9.

I think this might be the cause to my acnee,let hope anyways

Hello ladies,

Its been 3 days for me,I feel pretty good, a bit self-conscious walking around with nothing on.Im 24 and been wearing liquid foundation everyday since grade 9.

I think this might be the cause to my acnee,let hope anyways

Yeah carolla!!! :dance:

3 days? That rocks!! :D Keep it up!!

yep, lately i've been off makeup too. usually it's juz concealer on some marks. that's it.

u know, we're so self conscious. we examine, no, scrutinize our skin in every possible angle and lighting. we see little blemishes nobody else even cares about. so yes, free ur skin from makeup.

Guest flutistgurl26

I'm happy to join this thread. Make up irritated my eye and made me realize I needed a break. :rolleyes:

I couldnt do it. Im so self concious even with make up...id die if i went outside without it. *cries*

you know i used to hate that my mother refused to let me wear make up ever...even when i had horrible acne. even tho i still think she was insensitive to my plight...she started me on a trend of not really wearing makeup. bc i could never get it to look right, it was just too much of a hassle. no im 26...my acne is gone but i have some scarring that makeup doesnt cover. i wear revlon colorstay with soft flex when im goin out or am dealing with ppl a lot. but since im a housewife that isnt very often. at home or just going to the store i am sans makeup...i have noticed the effects on some friends that wore makeup constantly from their teenage years. but im still self conscious whether i have makeup on or not...my face just looks crappy

I dont know why I even bother anymore with face makeup, it doesnt even cover the acne scarring like it used to. But I feel so safe when Im hiding behind it, how terrible. Ive been wearing makeup since I was 12. I wish I had never started at all, my skin used to be so beautiful.

hehe greg Naruto ROCKS!! 25 more eps of fillers until the manga gets back on track :wacko: grrrrr!!! Ive been sustaining myself with Bleach eps.

Okay, so I've been having all kinds of exams recently and the stress has been piling up. I was really happy with myself for going without make-up for close to a week and a half, but I finally gave in a few days ago and started up with the topicals and the make-up again. Needless to say... I broke out. :doh:

I'm still working on being self-conscious and I'm getting better at being more and more confident, but I still have a ways to go. So I'm going to start over again this Friday and skip wearing make-up (and try to go without it for as long as I can). I feel like, if I keep doing this, eventually I'll get really comfortable with the idea of not wearing make-up and hopefully I can go without it permanently. Right now, baby steps. Wish me luck.

I stopped wearing makeup completely about 4-5 months ago. Found the man of my dreams so I stopped wearing makeup cuz I didn't have to impress anyone anymore. He saw me with my makeup off all the time, and he thinks I am beautiful reguardless, so I just stopped. I was hoping that stop wearing it would clear my skin. I only wish that was true. I tryed switching from Covergirl to Nutrogena first and that didn't help so I just stopped. I only wear makeup on special occasions (i.e. holidays, birthdays, special dates out with my fiance). But I do notice now that if I do put on makeup for such occasions that I break out very easily, several zits pop up on my face with in a few hours of wearing it, and usually wash it off as soon as I get home so it doesn't get worse. But it doesn't feel like I have an oil slick on my face all day now that I have stopped wearing it so I would deffinatly give it a try, all it can do is help! People don't treat me any different with or without it so who cares ( though I wish I could wear it and have a flawless finish all the time but I can't have it all I guess!)

Best of luck to all!