Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Whyteout

Vitam B5 and Severe Acne (non cystic or nodular)

Im 3 weeks into minocycline, I see NO improvements, but right ebfore I started mini i noticed my severe chest and back acne has almost ocmpletely cleared, up, so as a teenager im hoping thisll mena im about to grow out of it. I have read good stuff about B5, and will buy it 2morro, but has it helped anyone with more than just mild acne? I dont have cystic or nodular, but i have ALOT of acne all over my face, just wondering if itll help me..

Im 3 weeks into minocycline, I see NO improvements, but right ebfore I started mini i noticed my severe chest and back acne has almost ocmpletely cleared, up, so as a teenager im hoping thisll mena im about to grow out of it. I have read good stuff about B5, and will buy it 2morro, but has it helped anyone with more than just mild acne? I dont have cystic or nodular, but i have ALOT of acne all over my face, just wondering if itll help me..

B5 takes alot of time before youll see result, it will shrink some of the oil the face produce, but nothign as drastic as Accutane . I speak from experience, 4 months into B5 = 2 weeks of accutane.

I'd suggest you see a derm and talk about accutane. ANtiobiotics suchs as minocycline, tetraclycne is only temporary results. I took minocycline, and tetraclyne for a whole year, then i decided to stop cuz i didn't want to depend on and it.. and of course I broke out alot , Thought i would outgrow it...but guess what , I 'm paying for the consequence now... never wait to outgrow acne, just treat it NOW.

Hey there,

I also tried Vit B5 after reading it about on another forum site. It cleared up my moderate acne somewhat after several weeks, and my acne remained clear for several more weeks. During this time, I had an appointment with my derm and told him about my B5 intake. He said he never heard of it, so I showed him the website where i read about B5 (hehe, he had a laptop with him during the appt.) Being a doctor, he naturally said that he didn't believe in it since it hadn't been scientifically proven, despite that it was somewhat helping my acne. He wanted to put me on the scientifcally proven Accutane, but I was very hesistant, thinking that the effects of Accutane were too risky and that B5 was safer. I decided to continue the B5.

I regret that decision. I should've listened to the derm and started the Accutane right then. I read more about B5 and learned about a potential vitamin imbalance. I became frightened at the thought of a huge vitamin imbalance in my body and what the excessive amounts of B5 were doing to it. I decided to quit the B5 course and get on Accutane. Also, my acne after about 3 months on B5 was getting worse. I then started on Accutane, and it worked wonders for my skin. There were some minor side effects like nose bleeds, VERY dry skin (which was sort of good, since my skin had been very oily), and easily flushing. But, after 7 months, my skin had cleared up dramatically, especially on my back. The oilyness, though, came back although not as severe as before. The derm also said 50% of Accutane patients who finish their courses will not get moderate-severe acne ever again.

Like you, I had tried minocycline to no long term avail. For me, it worked somewhat at the beginning, but then my acne became worse than before taking the mino. I think it has something to do with the acne causing bacteria undergoing evolution and the most resistant strains surviving the mino attack and then proliferating to generate a a whole new population of bacteria that causes worse acne.

So, I would recommend discarding the idea of taking B5, and go talk to your derm ASAP about starting a course of scientifically proven to work Accutane. Hope everything goes well.

B5 was the catalyst towards clearing my skin. I started a B5 regimen and slowly added other things. The B5 worked very well, especially with my cystic acne(of which I usually had 1 or 2 at any given time) after about 1 month. I kept it up for another month and in this time I completely reorganized my diet and exercise habits. I started to wean from B5 and I remained clear. I'm still experimenting to find the perfect balance of treatment that doesn't interfere with my life too much, but I can say that B5 is an excellent boost towards alleviating acne. In the long-term, I'm less comfortable with it, but in relative short term(3 months or so) I think it is an excellent treatment.

Be sure to supplement with a multivitamin and a B-complex as well to prevent vitamin imbalance.

This is a repost:

B5 saved my face (though I have heavy scars and pore damage). I've been megadosing on B5 since October 2003 (It's March 2006 now). Everyday I take about 15 grams of B5 and it works like a charm. I've had acne since I was 14 now 30 and I'm talking about real serious acne, the kind that didn't go away after a few years. If it wasn't for B5 I would be breaking out majorly till 50 years plus.

I finally figured out that I was born with two problems that caused my severe acne. My body has a terrible time metabolizing oil and my face sheds dead skin like no one I've even known. Put those 2 together and you have the perfect breeding ground for Mr. P. Acne.

The B5 did exactly what the research has indicated, mainly controlling that oil. I know for me it works. Before B5 my oil was uncontrollable. I could literally feel oil wanting to come out of my pores within 15 minutes of eating a meal. I've only had one negative side effect with the B5 regimen. Weight gain. B5 has controlled my acne so well that I feel like I have a carte blanche to eat anything that I desire, so I've gained a lot weight.

For me B5 alone gave me 80-90% improvement and I also use regular old Oxy 10 to treat the topical. I'm thinking of trying the Clear Skin Regimen instead of just Oxy 10. For me B5 didn't give me 100% clarity is because of the severity of my case and the fact that I eat all kinds of junk. Just to give you an example. Recently I ate half of an XLarge Pizza and drank 3/4 of a 2 Litre Coke at one sitting. Without the B5 my skin would have been oozing in oil after a meal like that, but now, it's like it's not even a problem. All I can say is B5 is amazing. The easiest regimen I've ever used that works.

Unlike others I don't take the pill form, I take the powder form. 1 heaping teaspoon 3x a day. B5 powder taste horrible, that's why many would rather take pills, so here's a tip...take a swill of water and then pour that heaping teaspoon of B5 and let it float on top of the water (B5 is floating on water so it's not resting on your tongue, no contact = no bitter taste) Now take your second gulp of water to wash the whole thing down. Easy. 3xs a day. The B5 I buy is NOW brand 100% Pantothenic Acid Powder 8oz. I buy it from www.vitaglo.com. I buy it 5 bottles at a time and it cost less than $60 free shipping no tax. 5 bottles last about 3-4 months.

Pachyderm, I really believe that you should use the success B5 has helped prompt to improve your diet. If eating large Pizzas and drinking coke is at all a regular occurrence in your life, of course you will have a terrible time metabolizing fats. Use what B5 has given you and let it help you step into a more controlled and overall beneficial diet that will aide with your general well-being as well as your acne.

B5 is actually used as weight loss supplement for some because it helps the metabolization of fats, but you seem to be using it as a get-out-of-jail free card. You would likely become 100% clear if you fixed up your eating habits.

What brand B5 are you taking?

I have found the www.antiac.com B5 for $19.95 for 200 pills, that seems to be the cheapest, but will the quality be as good?