Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
stucoteen

Retin-A Micro .04% - Side effects

Hey there,

I'm sure there has been a previous post on this topic, but I don't have hours to look for it.

I'm on Retin-A Micro .04%, and my face has turned red, its now enflamed, and burning. The dermatologist said to reduce use if this happens, so I'm gonna do that, but does anyone know how to make it stop burning, cause it really hurts!

(Aloe Vera seems to make it worse, so please refrain from suggesting it.)

When this happens to me when I overdo the retin-a, I apply a thin coat of !% hydrocortisone lotion to my face to bring down the inflammation. (Dermatologist said this is okay to do) Just make sure not to use the hydrocortisone on a regular basis, only once in a while. If used regularly it can cause thinning of the skin. Also if my face is really burning i'll put a cold washcloth on it for a few minutes to make it feel a little better right away. Hope that helps!

I use it once a night, or once every other night. Maybe I'll try the hydrocortisone lotion, are there any famous brands or types I might have in my house?

Hydrocortisone is usually sold under the brand names of Cortaid or Cortisone-10...but those are made as creams or ointments. The only way I've seen the lotion is just as the generic. It will say "hydrocortisone 1% lotion" on the bottle. I prefer the lotion because it is more lightweight...cream would be the next best but is thicker consistency. Don't use the ointment as it is very greasy and will clog your pores.

How long does it take for this redness to subside 2 months? Im just starting it tonight a preview of what to expect would be helpful

When my skin gets red and irritated, I quit with the retinoids and just use emu oil until it goes back to normal.