Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bluekit

My fraxel experience

Hi,

I had my first fraxel a couple days ago. I have mild rolling scars on my cheeks, and, although it may be too early to state with absolute certainty, it seems that after my first session I can see a slight softening of the scars. Overall, the session wasn't painful and left me looking sunburnt. My swelling has been very minimal--I'm only slightly swollen on the left side of my jaw, and I believe this is due to the fact that this is the side I sleep on. I've been using Cetaphil facial wash, and have found that Eucerin SPF 30 facial lotion drastically masks the redness. My skin feels very smooth, yet very dry. Today in the shower while washing my face I noticed that my skin was starting to flake/peel off, so I lightly exfoliated with my hands. However, the areas where the skin came off the most is rather pink/red now. I guess this is just the new layer of skin showing. Anyway, my question is: Do you think it's best to help with the exfoliation process by rubbing off the dry skin in the shower, or should I just let it come off on its own? I don't want to do anything that will possibly harm my skin.

Thanks for your opinions.

Hi,

I had my first fraxel a couple days ago. I have mild rolling scars on my cheeks, and, although it may be too early to state with absolute certainty, it seems that after my first session I can see a slight softening of the scars. Overall, the session wasn't painful and left me looking sunburnt. My swelling has been very minimal--I'm only slightly swollen on the left side of my jaw, and I believe this is due to the fact that this is the side I sleep on. I've been using Cetaphil facial wash, and have found that Eucerin SPF 30 facial lotion drastically masks the redness. My skin feels very smooth, yet very dry. Today in the shower while washing my face I noticed that my skin was starting to flake/peel off, so I lightly exfoliated with my hands. However, the areas where the skin came off the most is rather pink/red now. I guess this is just the new layer of skin showing. Anyway, my question is: Do you think it's best to help with the exfoliation process by rubbing off the dry skin in the shower, or should I just let it come off on its own? I don't want to do anything that will possibly harm my skin.

I believe it is best to let your skin exfoliate on its own..this is how your skin is healing itself. I know it is hard to pick, etc because the flaking and peeling can be so ANNOYING. However, I know from experience that rubbing and pulling the flaking off can lead to more scarring.

Hi,

I have found that I think it's best to leave it alone, and just massage lightly with my fingertips. I don't know if this has happened to anybody else or not, but last week 6 days after my 4th Fraxel, I used a washcloth to get some more flaking off. There were red marks on my chin where the flaking was. It's been a week since then, and it's still pinker in color, and I think it looks a little worse than before. From now on, I'm not washing it with anything but my fingers until the flaking is done.

Thanks for your replies.

So when you rub lightly with your fingertips can you see the new pink skin? That's what's going on with me, and I'm thinking I shouldn't have done this. I'm worried about it now.

Should I put Aquaphor on my face here? My doctor said not to use this unless absolutely necessary because it will likely cause breakouts. I have to go back to work tomorrow and have a feeling that these areas will still be more pink than the rest of my face. Do you think it will be okay to wear face powder? (I wear a mineral powder that is less likely to make my skin break out.)

Thanks for your replies.

So when you rub lightly with your fingertips can you see the new pink skin? That's what's going on with me, and I'm thinking I shouldn't have done this. I'm worried about it now.

Should I put Aquaphor on my face here? My doctor said not to use this unless absolutely necessary because it will likely cause breakouts. I have to go back to work tomorrow and have a feeling that these areas will still be more pink than the rest of my face. Do you think it will be okay to wear face powder? (I wear a mineral powder that is less likely to make my skin break out.)

You're supposed to be able to wear makeup right away (this was actually in the leterature at the dr's office). But I found that it didn't go on very smoothly because of the dryness/flakiness.

Thanks for your replies.

You're supposed to be able to wear makeup right away (this was actually in the leterature at the dr's office). But I found that it didn't go on very smoothly because of the dryness/flakiness.

About a day or two after it's done flaking(where you can feel it) I put liquid makeup on and it still looks like its flaking! I usually have to wait about 8 days before I can wear makeup. My doctor said you can use makeup right away too. Easy for him to say.

Yes, I know you're supposed to be able to wear makeup after the procedure, but I wanted to avoid doing so for as long as possible. I'm just wary of using it where the skin is pink due to the exfoliation because it looks very delicate. I never use foundation, by the way. Only powder. I'm going to call my dr. tomorrow and see what she has to say about the pink area.

you can wear makeup and all, but i think its better to wait. I asked my PA if i could go to the gym in a couple days and she said you can, but its probably better to wait. You should let your pores heal and all that stuff, dont want to clog them up.

I can't imagine that this would cause scarring--at least to my skin. It's not as if I *scrubbed* my face. It was just an area where a lot of the dead/dry skin came off. If anything, I was thinking it could possibly cause pigmentation problems. I just spoke to my doctor, though, for reassurance, and she said the pinkness is completely normal, but in accordance with all of you said it is best to let the exfoliation take place on its own.

By the way, today was my first day wearing make-up and it went on just fine, and my skin is *really* dry and flakey. I think the trick is to only use pressed powder and gently pat it onto the skin, rather than rubbing (which will obviously cause the dry skin to flake off more easily). I use la bella donna pressed mineral powder, which was originally made for post-op laser coverage. It's expensive, but it's great, especially for sensitive skin--I've been using it for a couple of years now.