Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
floss

How to get enough calcium

Calcium seems to be fairly important since among other things it encourages the body to produce sufficient stomach acid, but how to get it? I'm discouraged from taking tablets cos i've heard they're bad for kidneys, constipation and other stuff - i don't know if this is cos the calcium levels in tablets are just too high, in which case maybe taking tablets just twice a week, say, might be an option - or whether it's the form of calcium in tablets which is the problem - ?

It's hard to know if i'm absorbing calcium from foods which even have it in, since other nutrients such as iron can apparently inhibit its absorption - in which case the calcium in things like broccoli may be inadequate.

Does anyone know which (vegetarian) foods contain ABSORBABLE calcium?

I tend to eat broccoli about 3 times a week, and a couple of yoghurts, but avoid other dairy... wonder if this is enough...

I'm not suggesting calcium is a major acne issue, but many people on this site are avoiding dairy and it's pretty important for health in general.

Hmm, but oatmeal, almonds and tofu (soya) all contain things which bind with calcium and stop its absorption. And molasses is very high in iron, which interferes with calcium absorption.

actually in my book i bought. calcium works best with vit A, C, D, iron, magnesium, and phosphorus.

Calcium helps metabolize iron

calcium and phospho work for healthy bones (phospho to calc: 2 to 1)

calcium and magnesium work for cardiovascular health

enemies of calcium are large quantities of fat, oxalic acid, phytic acid (found in grains) which may prevent some absorbtion of calcium. ( i wouldnt worry to much especially way people are on these boards)

to much phosophorus can deplete calcium... so stay away from the phosphates (many deli meats), phosphoric acid in cokes. blah blah

another source of calcium is tips of a drum stick of chicken and turkey oddly enough... (them damn dogs are smart)

Oh yeah, maybe it was actually zinc that interferes with calcium absorbtion, not iron. I guess broccoli will be good then.

enemies of calcium are large quantities of fat...

You need to be more precise when making statements like that. The specific TYPE of fat is a key issue here: polyunsaturated fats (like from vegetable oils) do indeed decrease the absorption of cacium, but butterfat actually seems to ENHANCE the absorption of calcium. Nobody should find that surprising at all, since milk appears to be designed by Nature to get calcium into you: it contains a good balance of calcium and phosphorous, it contains lactose, and the fat is just the right type to help calcium be absorbed! Ain't Nature grand? She knows exactly what she's doing! ;)

Bryan

to bad cows milk breaks me out, possible through its pasteurizatilon process... cant say yet

;)

Canned Wild Alaskan Salmon with Bones is a great source of Calcium and fairly economical. Canned Wild Sardines with Bones are my favorite, but they're expensive.

Organic Raw Dairy is also great, but hard to find and very expensive.

It's my personal opinion that Calcium is very difficult to obtain from a non-animal sources. However, if you are a Carb or a Mixed Metabolic Type, Calcium isn't something you have to worry about much. It's Protein Types that have major issues if they don't get their Calcium.

I was gonna start a new post about this. This is what I do....I order the powdered coral calcium from Bio-Alternatives. (www.bio-alternatives.net). It's good stuff. It will literally last 6 months. I take 1/4 teaspoon and mix it with it one packet of Emergen-C. Matter of fact, you lose your appetite when you take it with Emergen-C.

if you are a Carb or a Mixed Metabolic Type, Calcium isn't something you have to worry about much. It's Protein Types that have major issues if they don't get their Calcium

agreed with healthdude

Yeah it is pretty hard to get enough calcium without dairy. I don't think anyone could eat enough broccoli, kale, etc. every day to get enough calcium. So you probably should supplement. And if you don't take cod liver oil or get a lot of sun every day, then you'll probably want to get a calcium supplement that has some vitamin D in it. It should have half as much magnesium, too -- it won't cause constipation that way.