Find results in...
sadman

whey protein poll

does whey protein break you out?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. does whey protein break you out?

• yes
    • no

since whey protein is the protein that comes from milk... does it make you guys break out?

i think I do breakout around the mouth area. but i don't know if it's with the whey protein. i'm scared to try it out again.

i need opinions.

thanks

i think that theres no lactose in it, which i think is what breaks me out dairy wise. but i dunno, i find it hard to tell when my skin is worse or not, goes up and down.

these are the ingredients of my whey protein:

Micro filterd whey protein concentrate, micro filterd whey protein isolate, glutamine peptides, guar gom, natural aroma, aspartame

I get my whey proteine at a dutch site, since I live in Holland

I get absolutely ZERO breakouts from this whey proteine and I use it 3 times a day, I mix it with yoghurt.

wow. based on the opinions, i might consider trying whey protein again. but i need more opinions. lets go guys. keep 'em coming

:)

Lemme put this in the simplest terms possible.

If your body does not digest and absorb protein properly then some of the protein (undigested) will make it to the small intestine, where at this point bacteria in the small intestine will go to work to finish the job, creating gas and sometimes bloating in the process. Since toxicity will be occurring at a small (1 meal) level in the small intestine, you may breakout, or possibly be irratated from mild inflammation. Some whey comes pre-digested (amino acids free), and some comes like a 50/50. If your body is fine with protein digestion but you overload it with whey in 1 meal (more than it can digest at one time), then your stomach may run out of sufficent amounts of Hydrochloric Acid, even though sufficent enzymes and bile are present. When this occurs the problem is the stomach will not reach the necessary PH for proper digestion of the protein (PH of 4 or lower, as HCL is PH .01). This will also cause some temporary toxicity as the bulk of digestion will attempt to occur throughout the rest of the digestive system, and possibly not at all depending on overall digestive power/health.

In a nutshell. If you do not overload your stomach and you have good protein digestion, and elimination, then no you will not break out from it. Also make sure you are not including large amounts of carbohydrates 30 mins before and 30 minutes after consuming the whey. Unless you are working out heavily, then times change.

Hope this helps. Casey Nickles

i think that theres no lactose in it, which i think is what breaks me out dairy wise. but i dunno, i find it hard to tell when my skin is worse or not, goes up and down.

Whey protein IS lactose. Pretty much. DO NOT take it if you're lactose intolerant! (My b/f learned the hard way).

When I was working out hard and taking huge amounts of protein I was 100% clear, I tried many different kinds of protein and drank it with Milk and sometimes glutamine. Just make sure you dont skimp on the quality, Get Isolate and if your stomach can handle it try and mix of proteins (Casein/Egg/Whey) because they absorb and different times.

Guest Grow_To_Overthrow

The only thing in Whey supplements that breaks me out is processed sugars. They don't contain much lactose and therefore seem alright provided i purchase one with little amounts of sugar.

I'm not voting on the poll because i think it's more complex than just a yes or no answer.

these are the ingredients of my whey protein:

Micro filterd whey protein concentrate, micro filterd whey protein isolate, glutamine peptides, guar gom, natural aroma, aspartame

I get my whey proteine at a dutch site, since I live in Holland

I get absolutely ZERO breakouts from this whey proteine and I use it 3 times a day, I mix it with yoghurt.

hey man, ya better pick another brand, aspartame can cause cancer growth... many brands contain this shit though

My whey has got digestive enzyms in it :cool: it says to take like 8oz of water in the first hour after taking the whey, to help digestion.

thanks for the reminder, nickles, ive got to buy some more HCL, good tip for every1 (with low stomach acids) btw :)

anyone uses ON Whey protein?

i read on the label that it contains lactase for it to be more friendly to lactose intolerant persons. now, is it the lactose that causes acne? because milk does flare up acne and milk is lactose. If therefore, whey contains minimal to no (i doubt) lactose, then it doesn't cause acne. am i making sense? lol

well based on the results as of now, 9 out of 10 says whey protein does not cause them acne flare ups. some even said working out with whey protein cleared them up. can we conclude for the meantime there's no scientific evidence on this that whey protein does not cause acne flare ups?

:)

why protein is not lactose LACTOSE is LACTOSE I'm surprised how un-informed you people really are

I use ON Whey the lactaste is so you can add it to milk and stil have fast digestion.

I'm curious where you guys get your info seriously

oh and by the way milk is 80% casein protein

There are a few of us that believe it is the Whey in Cow's Milk that breaks us out, although Casein can have a similar effect (depending on what theory you believe in). In another thread I mentioned to Shadow Fade that if it's not the whey in milk, perhaps it is the casien. If this is the case, and anyone that is curious should try Rice Cheese. It contains casien protein (for flavor?) and no other dairy (or soy product) and tastes surprisingly like cheese. Unfortunately Rice Cheese breaks myself and at least one other member out.

This is what I found out about Whey:

Whey, a watery-byproduct of cheese making, was at one time considered waste and used as animal feed. Whey contains mostly lactose and a small amount of protein. Whey protein contains alpha-lactalbumin, beta-lactoglobulin, bovine serum albumin, heavy and light - chain immunoglobulins(Igs), and proteose-peptones. With the introduction of membrane technologies, excess water was removed from whey, concentrating the whey protein and lactose, along with smaller amounts of minerals, and milkfat. The concentrated product, known as whey protein concentrate (WPC), may contain from 35 to 85% protein. Whey protein isolates (WPI), obtained by ultrafiltration followed by ion-exchange, contain over 90% protein. http://www.arserrc.gov/techtrans/Technolog...ing/ablacto.htm

why protein is not lactose LACTOSE is LACTOSE I'm surprised how un-informed you people really are

I use ON Whey the lactaste is so you can add it to milk and stil have fast digestion.

I'm curious where you guys get your info seriously

oh and by the way milk is 80% casein protein

no need to reiterate how uninformed people are. no need to flame. that's why this forum was created - to share information to those uninformed. disagree with our opinions but do it nicely i guess.

sweetjade - have you tried using whey protein isolate withotu the creatine?

in my experience, creatine breaks me out in the mouth area.

Get a brand that has a very low sugar content. A lot of brands up the sugar and/or fats to get a better taste. Avoid this and you'll be fine, assuming your diet is balanced in other areas.

Some whey comes pre-digested (amino acids free), and some comes like a 50/50.

when you mean pre-digested, do you mean that it will fully absorb into one's body and none of it will go to waste? i have had problems before with whey protein when i was overloading and most of it would go in and out the other end without any digestion of the whey protein whatsoever.. (well i did gain some weight, but then brokeout like crazy a month later and had to go on accutane)

If your body is fine with protein digestion but you overload it with whey in 1 meal (more than it can digest at one time), then your stomach may run out of sufficent amounts of Hydrochloric Acid, even though sufficent enzymes and bile are present. When this occurs the problem is the stomach will not reach the necessary PH for proper digestion of the protein (PH of 4 or lower, as HCL is PH .01). This will also cause some temporary toxicity as the bulk of digestion will attempt to occur throughout the rest of the digestive system, and possibly not at all depending on overall digestive power/health.

that's fine. but all the manuals say: for people who cannot gain weight easily, overloading on whey protein in addition to working out, is the method to gain that weight needed for bulking up.

anyway, so i gather that your saying that the lack of absorbtion of whey protein, is the cause of peoples acne breakouts from that product. would like to get your opinion on this product. would it help with digestion?

http://www.amazingnutrition.com/index.php?...bcd74e700470e3b

um, pre-digested doesn't mean you body is going to absorb all of it and it won't go to waste. It just means that it will not only be easier for body to complete digestion, will be much less of an energy drain (digesting takes a lot of energy itself), and that by the time it makes it to the small intestine it's in a more appropriate form. Absorbtion is going to depend on PH, exposed villi, and no other inhibitory factors present.

I don't know what manuals your reading but the word overloading is supposed to refer to something bad, not good. Thus overloading when taking whey means that you are taking in more than your body can process/absorb at a given time. If overloading causes a slower than normal transit time (can speed it = diarreha or slow it = constipate), then you might have low level toxicity problems from lack of digestion which can create putrefied matter. Remember that protein breakdown needs an acidic environment (stomach). Additionally, proper assimilation will only occur if the small intestine is properly alkalized.

When the acidified, broken down protein mush/liquid is released through the duodenum into the small intestine, the matter needs to be quickly alkalized by the small intestine so as to protect the intestine from damage and to ensure the PH is such that the rest of digestion can be carried out and absorbtion can take place before elimination time.

Since the word overloading is used out of its proper context, suffice to say that what is meant by "overloading" is get an assload, which what they fail to address is ways to maximize effectiveness through targeted digestive practices.

as far as that product you linked to. I wouldn't take it. It does not list how many USP or MG of each of the extracts is contained within each serving. The most important being the betaine, which is hydrochloric acid. Also it's is overpriced. around $16 is the max you would ever have to pay. If you'd like to know a lot more about what you need for proper digestion or what to look for in these types of digestive aids, just call me at 614/551/8974 or e-mail me at [email protected]

well i mean, why don't you just post it, i'm sure it's information that others may find helpful..

I've gotten several opinions as to why whey protein causes acne. I don't really know which ones are valid or not.

I just came back from seeing my nutritionist today, and he said that YES whey protein can cause breakouts IF you are allergic to it. Then his assistant said, Yes but only if the brand is of low quality. those are two different opinions, so as you can see, I question if anybodies opinions are correct. simply because they don't have the same answers.

Overloading, or what they call, "megadosing" on Whey Protein is a method for those who have a hard time gaining the weight needed for bulking up, these folks are also called, "hard-gainers."

I suppose lowering dosage of Whey Protein would limit the breakouts, that is IF, digestive problems is the primary reason for the acne breakout. But how do you know for sure?. :confused:

yeah well from the votes on the poll, a lot says they don't breakout. i thought i get acne on my mouth area from drinking whey protein. but hey, i've not been drinking any whey protein for the past month and hello pimples.

Guest Stu :-)

How do you guys get on with creatine? For me, i breakout quite bad on it unless is just coincendental with something else?? Ive had a few Whey mixes and don't really have problems. Booze is a prob tho :razz:

i breakout with creatine on the mouth area. 'm not sure if it's because of creatine though. i'm afraid to try it again. you sure you can get acne with booze? tell me that's not true! i love booze!