Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
helenmelon

:o diet does affect acne

Well Ash Wednesday was a few weeks ago, so I chose to abstain from junk food as my lent project. It wasn't an intentional plan to try and see if it would improve my skin; I just chose that one because I thought it'd be a challenge for me and it was something hard that I hoped I would be able to do. I stopped eating chips, candy, and fries, and my only chocolate was from chocolate milk or frozen yogurt or muffins.

Anywho, I was really surprised that for the last few weeks, my skin is the best it's ever been in years. I haven't had a big pimple in weeks, and I was thinking, whoa what am I doing differently that is causing such a profound change, and then I realized my diet probably took a big part of it. I usually have a big breakout at least once a week, and this time, I didn't even break out around that time of month. I think I'll keep this up even after easter because beautiful skin is worth no junk food for me

Diet affects the quality of your skin in some people, while it doesn't mean anything to others, but I'm just hoping to inspire people with my story and hope you'll try it out if nothing else seems to work

but i read on a post recently that if u were to eat lettuce and drink only water.

ur skin would clear up because without carbohydrates ur body cant make asmany hormones so ur skin doesnt produce asmuch Sebum!

This is most likely what is going on. When you take out all junk food you are taking in less calories than usual and your body has adjusted by altering hormone levels. I wouldn't bet on it lasting, but I wish you luck.

No but the thing is, I am taking in about the same amount of calories as before. But instead of snacking on chips and cookies, I'd snack on veggies, wheat bread, fruit, etc. I think the change in my skin may be due to a change in the fat content of the food I take in

So, add in the fact that we're 70% water and weren't 'built' to eat dairy or meat, then anything we eat that isn't fruit/veg, wholemeal, grains, rice or water is considered a toxin!!!!

Um, just a stupid question.......if we weren't "built" to eat meat than why do we have canine teeth?

I was never a believer of the whole 'diet affects acne' thing, but it really is true.

Your skin is the largest organ in your body and one of its main functions is to allow toxins to be released through it instead of reaching your organs etc. So, add in the fact that we're 70% water and weren't 'built' to eat dairy or meat, then anything we eat that isn't fruit/veg, wholemeal, grains, rice or water is considered a toxin!!!! Our bodies have to work so hard to get rid of the wrong foods we're eating that it reacts badly in some people... i.e. us..with acne. That's why some people can eat whatever they want and not get acne because they're bodies can cope with the junk, that's all, just like some people can cope with eating dairy and others are allergic, or diabetic etc. We're all different and yet most of us are incredibly the same.

If you drink at least 3 litres of water a day your skin will look heaps better in just two weeks. I recently switched from drinking water to diet coke.. after five days I broke out with three nasty looking spots.. immediately I switched back to water and less than a week later they're gone. I won't be switching away from water again. Its sad to think that I have to force myself to consume at least 3 litres of water a day and eat healthily to maintain clear skin, but hey... I'd do anything not to have acne so I shouldn't complain.

built to eat wholemeal, grains and rice ??? ....agriculture has only been around for 10,000 years. humans have been eating meat for a dam site longer than that. if i eat rice ( or any high carbs ) i break out in cysts.

It's really unfortunate that there is so much conflicting info about our diet and its effect on your health floating around. It's no wonder that people with acne are confused of what they should or should not be eating. Really the only way to find out is to try it our yourself and see what happens.

After changing my mind and opinnion few dozen times about what's good and what's now, I think I have begun to understand it to a degree. At least now I feel that most things make sense and I can see practical results on my skin.

So based on that 'understanding' here are my two pennies.

The reason why some people can eat whatever they want and still not get acne is not that their bodies cope with this stuff any better than ours do. It's actually almost opposite. The difference comes in how your body handles the toxins that you put in there. It seems that people with acne tend to eliminate much of the toxins by pushing it out through secondary elimination channels (skin and lungs). Another way some people deal with toxins is that they get stored into fat cells. Once the toxins are in fat cells they can't harm your body anymore. It's little like radioactive waste. Let's just stuff it deep down into a big rock while we figure out how to deal with it. Your body always does it's best to get rid of these toxins.

If it wouldn't be doing that you would die pretty quickly. Your body needs to maintain relatively precise pH-value and it does everything to maintain that level. Since these toxins are always acid your body needs to either neutralise them with alkaline medium, throw them out or store them in fat cells. If you are not providing your body with enough alkaline food/nutrients then your body has to either store the toxins or eliminate them.

It's also a known fact that bacteria requires acidic medium/terrain to survive. All those acne-causing bacteria couln't survive in your body if it would be alkaline.

I hate to break this to 'helenmelon', but I don't think that your freedom from acne will be permanent just because you switched from chips and cookies to bread and muffins. Of course I don't know what yor diet consists of but neither of those choices is very healthy.

If you haven't taken proactive steps to get rid of those toxins/acids it's very likely that you'll get pimples again. The underlying cause for acne still remains in your body. You may be able to mask the symptoms for some time, but it doesn't mean that you would be free of acne.

Instead of seeing acne as a bad things (yes I know it can make your life a hell) it would be benefitial to think it as a message from your body. It's telling your that something is wrong inside you. After all acne is still a very mild 'symptom' of toxemia. It's much better to eliminate it now than before it developes into cancer or something else really serious.