Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jimSmith007

damaged skin

Could somebody please help.

I had bad hormonal acne like 3-4 years ago on my sideburns areas on both sides of the face, down to the chin. My forehead and cheeks were pretty much clear. Now, 3-4 years later the sideburns are the clearest parts of my face with acne around my nose, chin, cheeks, and forehead.

My skin is really damaged and unsmooth, inflamed, and irritated. I dont get severe cystic acne just many small whiteheads, never blackheads. I just want the skin on my face to be as smooth and healthy as the skin on the rest of my body. I think my problem may have to do with the PH balance of my skin. It is really messed up after 4 years of using product after product. Moisturizer doesn't seem to help. Using too many products, cleansing too harshly and too often, and also using moisturizer has really damaged my skin, how do i get it back to normal?

Some random person told me something about baking soda and milk of malaysia. I tried putting baking soda on my skin but it was drying and irritating. Are there any products with milk of malaysia (or was it magnesia??) or something that help smoothen skin and normalize PH? Help please, and thanks for your time.

EDIT** Forgot to add that i am F***ing sick and tired of this BS

It is really messed up after 4 years of using product after product. Moisturizer doesn't seem to help. Using too many products, cleansing too harshly and too often, and also using moisturizer has really damaged my skin, how do i get it back to normal?

I totally understand where you are coming from. And I agree that many acne sufferers over sensitise their skin by product overuse. I follow the startegy of trying to normalise my skin type...which is naturally dry.

Products:

cleanser - Cetaphil liquid cleanser. I have used plenty in my time and think this is the best for your $$.

I use an avene moisturiser. It sounds like a plug - but I really trust their products. They produce a recovery cream which might be just the ticket for you...it seems to have very good consumer reviews on dooyoo etc. http://www.dermaweb.com/english/dermato/av...ntol.html#intol

Maintaining a regular routine like Dan's regimen will ceratinly help your skin. Just make sure your cleanser and moisturiser are v gentle and don' scrub your face!!!

Milk of Magnesia is what you're talking about and I Believe Paula Begoun recommends an unflavoured one from the supermarket. I think you'll find it will dry out the skin but do little else....

"Absorbing excess oil. This step is for those with oily skin and is not necessary for those with whiteheads and dry skin, because with dry skin the problem isn’t excess oil, it's trapped oil. For those with oily skin, you all know I prefer milk of magnesia (a few companies, including mine, have cosmetic versions of this step). Clay masks are an option. Though not my favorite, some women do like these, and as long as they don't contain other irritants, they can have a positive effect in absorbing oil. "

from

http://www.cosmeticscop.com/learn/article....EFER=SKIN&ID=71

You could consider trying to slough off some the skin surface with an aha moisturiser - Dan recommends Eucerin. Personally I think you should keep well clear of anything with active ingredients until your skin seems more robust.

http://www.dermstore.com/ is a fab site to tour about too.