Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LionQueen

Green Cream or Diacneal?

I just posted this same info in the mild/moderate section, so forgive me if you've already seen it ... just thought it was especially germane to the adults on the board who don't mind spending a little more on high-quality products.

Anyone who's seen a few of my posts on this board probably knows I'm a die-hard Green Cream user. It's my Holy Grail skin care product. In the past 3 months this high-potency retinol gel has cleared my comedonal acne, normalized my oily skin, smoothed my bumps, tightened my pores, and virtually wiped away years of sun damage. I HIGHLY recommend Green Cream to anyone who has mild/moderate comedonal acne, especially if you're 30 or over. It is much easier to tolerate than a prescription retinoid, so if you've given up on Retin A or Tazorac because of the irritation, this is a product you should be looking at. It works especially well when combined with gentle, regular exfoliation. There are Green Cream threads in the OTC and Red Marks forums, and I've kept a regimen log since my first week on the product.

For the younger people on the board, or anyone whose acne is more inflammatory than comedonal, I'm now thinking Diacneal might be a better choice. It isn't as powerful a retinoid, but it does include 6% glycolic acid. This is a terrific one-two punch for mild/moderate acne, and I think it costs a bit less than GC as well. If you don't care about the anti-aging benefits of Green Cream and just want to clear your face, Diacneal could be the way to go .... it should be great against red marks as well. There's a Diacneal thread in the OTC forum with at least one very happy user on it.

There are many reviews of both products at makeupalley.com, and both are available for purchase at various online sites ... just Google them and you'll get plenty of options.

Check them out.

I'll chime in as a 36 yr old who is having great success so far with Green Cream! I'm not competely clear yet, but I like it far better than BP for my sensitive skin. The zits are smaller, and they heal really fast, without the dryness and irritation I was getting from BP.

I think its a much better long term alternative to BP, with lots of great additional benefits for your skin aside from just treating acne. Just my 2 cents! :D

LionQueen-

I've been reading your posts on Green Cream and I also visited the G.C. link. My acne is not major but I do get a few pesky pimples from time to time. My derm. gave me some samples of Tazorac- it was wonderuful, however my insurance would not cover the cost. I have good insurance too and that pissed me off, the pharmacist actually called my house and said the total would be $374......Holly Sh*t. :redface: As you guessed, no Tazorac for MacNChez. Anyway, I was thinking, I could always improve my skin texture (will be 31yrs in May), so I ordered some Green Cream yesterday.

Thanks for the gr8t advice!! :-*

LionQueen-

I've been reading your posts on Green Cream and I also visited the G.C. link. My acne is not major but I do get a few pesky pimples from time to time. My derm. gave me some samples of Tazorac- it was wonderuful, however my insurance would not cover the cost. I have good insurance too and that pissed me off, the pharmacist actually called my house and said the total would be $374......Holly Sh*t. :redface: As you guessed, no Tazorac for MacNChez. Anyway, I was thinking, I could always improve my skin texture (will be 31yrs in May), so I ordered some Green Cream yesterday.

Thanks for the gr8t advice!! :-*

Good for you! Keep us posted .. let me know if you have any ?????????????????s ...

Diacneal is working really well for me.

My problem has mainly been whiteheads and some methods I've used in the past has worked to get them under control but my skin in the areas that I have the whiteheads(especailly cheeks near nose area) looking not like the rest of my face....a bit irritated and puffy in certain lighting. Finally, with diacneal, my skin is looking good in those areas and the rest of my face is looking great. For once when I wash my face and take off my make-up, there's not a lot of difference in how I look.

Discolorations are fading, skin is looking healthy and bumps that I thought were permanent are lessening. Best thing yet for me.

Sharon

http://www.makeupalley.com/user/notepad/tetrakis/#topofpage

For a discussion about green cream and diacneal, scroll about 3/4 down.

I read this post and there was indeed a lot of good information about retinoids. I have to say, though, that I was skeptical about her retinaldehyde:retinol comparison; it didn't jive at all with what I've seen elsewhere. I recall something from pubmed that indicated that a concentration of 0.1% retinaldehyde is approximately equal in effectiveness to 0.25% retinol. If true, that would indicate that Diacneal, as a retinoid, is not even as strong as the weakest Green Cream, Level 3, which has a 0.3% concentration.

However, that is not to say that Diacneal is not equally effective (or even more so) against acne, because the GA/retinal combo is supposed to be extremely potent. I am sufficiently intrigued that I've decided to try Diacneal myself. I love my Green Cream, and my acne is gone, but my pores are still getting congested; I'm wondering if Diacneal could get me one step closer to perfect skin. It's worth a try ...

For anyone interested in Diacneal ... I think this is the best price out there. Check out www.tubotica.com (it's listed under Avene under Cosmetics) -- they have a great deal on 6 tubes of it. If you're a Makeup Alley member you get a discount!

I've been using the Green Cream for about 2 weeks. My skin texture has improved in just 14 days. It's smoother and my pores appear smaller :dance: . My skin is looking better...clearer. I'm experiencing some skin sensitivity to the Aveeno Facial Scrub I'm using...a slight tingling, but that's ok....I'll probably just switch to something milder. My skin has that healthy glow.

Green Cream...so far so good. :D

green cream level 6 here i come!

how ya doin lionqueen, aka the artist formerly known as queen of the hills? so i liked your green cream. i liked it a lot. i went through the samples of the gc 3, alternating it at night with mama lotion. i really like the gc better, and i felt my skin was feeling better.

crappy thing is, i'm out of the sample, AND i've been invariably out of town looking for an apartment in a new city. so no more samples, no address to get new products, stress from homelessness, all equals breakouts. but at least i know that something was working to some degree.

so, i'm signing a lease tomorrow, and i'm ordering green cream 6. time to move up. made my skin feel smoother; i think with more time i could see the real advantages of the fading of dark spots and reduction in acne altogether, god willing.

i also kinda liked the linda sy products. again, about out of the samples, but the moisturizer with 10% folic acid was wonderful. another new thing, i started jessfoliation tonight. i plan to go back to juliet's clean and smooth in the mornings when i get my apt. LOVE that stuff. i haven't updated my signature because i wanna see how jessfoliation does before then.

anyhoo, all that to say, thanks lionqueen. i'll keep the board posted.

Braveheart! I am so pleased to hear from you again, girlfriend ... am really glad you liked the GC, and I hope it just keeps right on being good to you. Sounds like life is settling down and you're finding your groove. All good. Keep us posted.

I just posted this same info in the mild/moderate section, so forgive me if you've already seen it ... just thought it was especially germane to the adults on the board who don't mind spending a little more on high-quality products.

Anyone who's seen a few of my posts on this board probably knows I'm a die-hard Green Cream user. It's my Holy Grail skin care product. In the past 3 months this high-potency retinol gel has cleared my comedonal acne, normalized my oily skin, smoothed my bumps, tightened my pores, and virtually wiped away years of sun damage. I HIGHLY recommend Green Cream to anyone who has mild/moderate comedonal acne, especially if you're 30 or over. It is much easier to tolerate than a prescription retinoid, so if you've given up on Retin A or Tazorac because of the irritation, this is a product you should be looking at. It works especially well when combined with gentle, regular exfoliation. There are Green Cream threads in the OTC and Red Marks forums, and I've kept a regimen log since my first week on the product.

For the younger people on the board, or anyone whose acne is more inflammatory than comedonal, I'm now thinking Diacneal might be a better choice. It isn't as powerful a retinoid, but it does include 6% glycolic acid. This is a terrific one-two punch for mild/moderate acne, and I think it costs a bit less than GC as well. If you don't care about the anti-aging benefits of Green Cream and just want to clear your face, Diacneal could be the way to go .... it should be great against red marks as well. There's a Diacneal thread in the OTC forum with at least one very happy user on it.

There are many reviews of both products at makeupalley.com, and both are available for purchase at various online sites ... just Google them and you'll get plenty of options.

Check them out.

DEAR LIONQUEEN,

TERRIFIC POST, I AGREE IN REGARDS TO THE STUFF IVE TRIED WHICH YOU ALSO HAVE, AND WILL DEFINITELY LOOK INTO THE OTHERS. HOWEVER, YOU MENTION THAT GREEN CREAM DOESNT IRRITATE THE SKIN IN THE SAME WAY AS RETIN-A WHICH I HAVE ALSO FOUND TO BE THE CASE. BUT I HAVE USED BOTH AND I AM OF THE OPINION THAT PEOPLE WILL SEE GREATER EFFECTS WITH RETIN - A IF THEIR SKIN IS NOT PARTICULARLY SUSCEPTABLE TO THE IRRITATION. MY SKIN HAS FARED WELL WITH RETIN - A, I DONT THINK I HAVE PARTICULARLY SENSITIVE SKIN THOUGH.

OVER THE PAST 3-4 MONTHS OF USING RETIN - A I HAVE EXPERIENCED HUGE EFFECTS. WHILST THE EFFECTS OF GREEN CREAM WERE EXCELLENT COMPARED TO PRETTY MUCH ANYTHING ELSE, RETIN - A HAS BEEN A REVELATION FOR ME. I HAVE HAD QUITE SIGNIFICANT INDENTATIONS IN MY SKIN SMOOTHED BEYOND RECOGNITION. AND I THINK THAT IS AS IMPORTANT AS TREATING ACNE ITSELF - THE MARKS THAT CAN BE LEFT BEHIND.

I DONT KNOW IF YOU AGREE WITH THIS, IT WASNT ENTIRELY APPARENT, BUT DO YOU THINK THAT RETIN - A IS THE MORE EFFECTIVE, PROVIDING THE PERSONS SKIN IS NOT PARTICULARLY IRRITABLE? I AM A 2ND YEAR MEDICAL STUDENT, AND I HAVE SUGGESTED TO FELLOW ACNE SUFFERERS TO ASK FOR THIS FROM THEIR DOCS.

I THINK A LOT OF PEOPLE ARE PUT OFF BY THE PURGING EFFECTS OF RETIN-A BUT IN MINE AND FRIENDS EXPERIENCES THE PRICE OF THIS IS GROSSLY OUTWEIGHED BY THE REWARD OF PERSISTENCE.

THAT SAID, I THINK GREEN CREAM IS ALSO AN EXCELLENT ALTERNATIVE, AND I CAN SEE THAT IF SOMEONE HAS SENSITIVE SKIN THAT THEY MAY BENEFIT MORE FROM THIS COURSE OF TREATMENT.

REGARDS,

CATCH 22

I totally agree that Retin A is FAR more effective both as an anti-acne and anti-aging treatment. Absolutely no argument there. I'm trying to use it myself on my forehead and nasolabial areas.

But Retin A does cause a lot more peeling and irritation. Most people can get past this stage if they stick with it ... but those with more sensitive skin are probably better off with GC or Diacneal. People who only have mild acne may prefer GC or Diacneal as well, since the annoyances of Retin A may outweigh its benefits in their case. Also, GC and Diacneal have the advantage of being available over the counter.

I saw my esthetician yesterday and asked her if she was familiar with diacneal. She said she just got a bunch of samples of it, so she's giving them all to me, so I can test it out for her and report back. I'll let you guys know what it does for me.

My son had a huge cyst on his cheek. I gave him diacneal to put on it and it was down by morning!

All my pores aren't 100% clear but some areas are.

Now the whiteheads are only visible right after washing my face.

It seemed to have helped my dark under eye circles too and the overall

clarity and color....less hyperpigmentation.

I use the cold cream soap bar to wash, then spritz on some thermal water.

Then the diacneal. I'm satisfied with things as they are now on my face.

Now of course since things are OK with the face, I'm trying to get the

body to match. Dang.

Hi all,

I'm very interested in the Green Cream and Diacneal. I ordered some samples of the GC, but today's the first I'm reading about Diacneal. Which is better for anti-acne and anti-acne? Lately (the past 6 months), I've been breaking out a lot more than normal, and most recently around my mouth/chin area (my acne beard). I also have a lot of tiny skin colored bumps on my cheeks, which I suspect is a reaction to the BP. My skin is clearing up on BP, but it's making it soooooooo dry that my skin looks wrinkly (especially around my eyes) and I'm only 24.

So, what do you think? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! thanks

All these positive posts about Green Cream have me intrigued. I have sensitive, fair skin and my breakouts are inflammatory. Do you think GC would be a good choice for me?

It would help, certainly, but for inflammatory acne Retin A is probably a better choice. I tend to recommend GC for comedonal acne, as it is very effective at purging clogged pores without much irritation. But for inflammatory acne .... unless you have very sensitive skin or trouble getting a prescription, I think Retin A would be the way to go.

I'm very interested in the Green Cream and Diacneal. I ordered some samples of the GC, but today's the first I'm reading about Diacneal. Which is better for anti-acne and anti-acne? Lately (the past 6 months), I've been breaking out a lot more than normal, and most recently around my mouth/chin area (my acne beard). I also have a lot of tiny skin colored bumps on my cheeks, which I suspect is a reaction to the BP. My skin is clearing up on BP, but it's making it soooooooo dry that my skin looks wrinkly (especially around my eyes) and I'm only 24.

So, what do you think? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! thanks

Not many people on here have used both. The member who started the Diacneal thread in the OTC forum is one of the few that has ... you might check it out.

My suspicion is that GC is better for anti-aging, since I think it's a stronger retinoid. But Diacneal might have the edge for anti-acne, because of the glycolic acid ... I can't say for sure, and it may well depend on the individual.

Another consideration is convenience. If you're in Europe or Canada, Diacneal is much easier to get ahold of than Green Cream. If you're in the States, you can buy either of them online.

One last note ... GC samples tend to be weaker than the full-size product, since the packaging of the samples is not airtight.