Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Anyone who's seen a few of my posts on this board probably knows I'm a die-hard Green Cream user. It's my Holy Grail skin care product. In the past 3 months this high-potency retinol gel has cleared my comedonal acne, normalized my oily skin, smoothed my bumps, tightened my pores, and virtually wiped away years of sun damage. I HIGHLY recommend Green Cream to anyone who has mild/moderate comedonal acne, especially if you're 30 or over. It is much easier to tolerate than a prescription retinoid, so if you've given up on Retin A or Tazorac because of the irritation, this is a product you should be looking at. It works especially well when combined with gentle, regular exfoliation. There are Green Cream threads in the OTC and Red Marks forums, and I've kept a regimen log since my first week on the product.

For the younger people on the board, or anyone whose acne is more inflammatory than comedonal, I'm now thinking Diacneal might be a better choice. It isn't as powerful a retinoid, but it does include 6% glycolic acid. This is a terrific one-two punch for mild/moderate acne, and I think it costs a bit less than GC as well. If you don't care about the anti-aging benefits of Green Cream and just want to clear your face, Diacneal could be the way to go .... it should be great against red marks as well. There's a Diacneal thread in the OTC forum with at least one very happy user on it.

There are many reviews of both products at makeupalley.com, and both are available for purchase at various online sites ... just Google them and you'll get plenty of options.

Check them out.

Anyone who's seen a few of my posts on this board probably knows I'm a die-hard Green Cream user. It's my Holy Grail skin care product. In the past 3 months this high-potency retinol gel has cleared my comedonal acne, normalized my oily skin, smoothed my bumps, tightened my pores, and virtually wiped away years of sun damage. I HIGHLY recommend Green Cream to anyone who has mild/moderate comedonal acne, especially if you're 30 or over. It is much easier to tolerate than a prescription retinoid, so if you've given up on Retin A or Tazorac because of the irritation, this is a product you should be looking at. It works especially well when combined with gentle, regular exfoliation. There are Green Cream threads in the OTC and Red Marks forums, and I've kept a regimen log since my first week on the product.

For the younger people on the board, or anyone whose acne is more inflammatory than comedonal, I'm now thinking Diacneal might be a better choice. It isn't as powerful a retinoid, but it does include 6% glycolic acid. This is a terrific one-two punch for mild/moderate acne, and I think it costs a bit less than GC as well. If you don't care about the anti-aging benefits of Green Cream and just want to clear your face, Diacneal could be the way to go .... it should be great against red marks as well. There's a Diacneal thread in the OTC forum with at least one very happy user on it.

There are many reviews of both products at makeupalley.com, and both are available for purchase at various online sites ... just Google them and you'll get plenty of options.

Check them out.

I'm going to buy the Level 3 + 6 Samples of the GC.. hopefully to reduce my oily skin and kill my blackheads and open my clogged pores in my damn nose, i hate the damn nose

I'm just bumping this because I think both of these products are so amazing for mild/moderate acne, and for your skin overall. Even when your acne is gone, retinoids help keep your skin "younger" and healthier ...

lionqueen, I am 24 with no acne right now, but was on accutane about 10 months ago and want to take preventative measures. Which one do you think would be a better choice for me? I have some tretinion that i just started using every once in a while and I use the aspirin mask a couple of times a week and an aha moisturizer. I was also wondering what sunscreen you are using and if you can tell me what the consistency of it is, where you got it from what the price is and if it has proven effective for you. I have skin that is sensitive - normal with some dry patches that can be irritated with the wrong product. What exactly is the difference between green cream and retinol and do you think that eventually your skin would just get used to the level 9 to and it would stop being effective? Sorry to bombard you with questions hun but it seems like you have some experience and knowledge with this stuff

Which one do you think would be a better choice for me?

Either one would be worth a try. But tretinoin is actually stronger than either, so if you are tolerating it well, you might as well just stick with that.

I was also wondering what sunscreen you are using and if you can tell me what the consistency of it is, where you got it from what the price is and if it has proven effective for you.

I use the titanium dioxide + water sunscreen from Diana Yvonne. It is SPF 15, which is all I really need. It costs $10 for a teeny-tiny bottle, but since you only need a few drops each time, it lasts awhile (I am still on my first bottle, which I got a couple of weeks ago).

I have skin that is sensitive - normal with some dry patches that can be irritated with the wrong product. What exactly is the difference between green cream and retinol and do you think that eventually your skin would just get used to the level 9 to and it would stop being effective?

Green Cream contains retinol. Once retinol is absorbed into your skin, it is converted by enzymes to retinaldehyde (active ingredient in Diacneal) and then to retinoic acid (same thing as tretinoin). Because the conversion is not all that efficient, retinol is less powerful than tretinoin, but it is also a whole lot less irritating. Same goes for retinaldehyde; not nearly as irritating as tretinoin.

From the way you describe your skin, it sounds like tretinoin might be overly irritating for you ... in which case I would suggest trying either Diacneal or Green Cream Level 3.

Your skin does become accustomed to retinoids, but that only means that it won't get irritated anymore. You could stick with Level 3 Green Cream for the rest of your life and it would still be effective -- your skin doesn't become immune to it. There is no need to move up a level if you are happy with your results.

HTH ...

Hiya,this diacneal stuff sounds good.

I have been using the csr for about 6 weeks and havent seen much improvement,and the red marks are so much worse than they use to be.

Has anyone swapped to this from the csr?

OK, for anyone interested in Diacneal ... I think this is the best price out there. Check out www.tubotica.com (it's listed under Avene under Cosmetics) -- they have a great deal on 6 tubes of it. If you're a Makeup Alley member you get a discount!