Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
shawn57187

when you stopped using all products...

I'm contemplating discontinuing all my products. As i've gotten older, I stopped getting acne on my back or chest. I don't get it on my forehead, cheeks, nose, upper lip. The only places where acne occasionally appears is on and above my chin. Which ironically is the only place I use products like BP or wash twice daily. So is it possible that all the products or extra washing is causing this remaining acne and redness? I can't remember if I even need this extra shit, but I'm too afraid to stop :/

Yeah, no OTCs ever really worked for me, and parents never took me to derm, so one day I just said to hell with it. Started just using regular soap and that was it. I think I just grew out of it though. Now all I do is wash my face morning and night and just water rinsing in between if it feels oily. And if I get a rare pimple, I'll either throw bp on it or just let it run its course. I don't know what your reaction would be to stopping use of the products and the only way to find out would be to give it a try.

i tried it.

and i broke out like hellllllllll

got cystic acne all over my cheeks, u can see my gallery, =(

actually thats what im doing right now, im not using any products except for washing my face with a salicylic acid cleanser . its pretty gentle on my face . i dont moisturize becuase it tends to make my face super oily quicker . i dont like the feel of having products on my face and nothing really worked so now i just try to keep it clean . my face actually did not get worse and i actually just stopped breaking out completely on my forehead , but i continue to break out on my cheeks but it doesnt bother me to much bcuz they are kinda under the skin and i can feel them when i touch them but on the surface the are pretty much flat and they are just red spots.

so i would say if the product you are using now on your chin isnt really stopping the break outs too well , then i think you should try using nothing for a week or two..

i was on retin-a, minocycline, duac and washing 2x a day with purpose. i was 100% clear and my oil problem was under control, so i cut out all the products except for the purpose.

after about 2 months, i had a really bad break out. i think it was because were getting clogged and i wasnt using anything to clear them.

im back on everything now (except im substituting duac with aloe vera for red marks) and im getting clearer every day. so i wouldnt recommend stopping medication if its giving you some success.

I'm right in the middle of giving up everything. I have moderate acne (sometimes sever). I'm prone to cysts and I am scarring now that I'm older (mid twenties). I was using retin-a micro and duac for the past 4 months and I had been using differin and duac for the four months before that. I've also been on ortho-tricyclen for 4 years. Overall I had pretty good success with the topicals, but I was still not totally clear. I could go a couple weeks with nothing active, then I'd breakout like clockwork half way through the last active week of my ortho-tricyclen. My breakouts were getting progressively worse, and the cysts were coming back (along with the new scars).

A couple weeks ago I gave up everything. I quit the retin-a and duac, and I took my last pill last week. At first I got a few angry red pustules, that were larger and more painful than my acne has been in about 8 months. My skin is sooooo oily now, and I'm getting whiteheads all over my forehead, and blackheads on my nose. I have about 4 huge red pustules, but no cysts on my face (I have on on my shoulder though). Aside for these monsters, and the whitehead/blackhead issue, my skin seems healthier. The rest of my face just has this glow to it. I can wear makeup for the first time in months and my face isn't bright red and flakey anymore...

I plan on just doing nothing for the next three or four months. This doesn't mean that I won't wash my face or anything. I'm going to treat my skin the way me perfectly clear skinned boyfriend treats his. He washes his face with body wash in the shower once a day.....that's it. I'm still going to use and SPF 15 lotion during the day.....

I know it's going to get bad, but I just am so sick of treating it with these useless topicals.....I'm on a quest for something I know will work and keep this shit away for the next few years at least......

i quit everything a few weeks back.. BP and other things just seemed to spread the acne and irritate my face loads. just wash my face with soap at night and only water the morning... am making sure im eating properly.. drinking lots of water, and having a clean pillowcase every night. have broken out the least i have done for months, and when i do is only minor compared.

also (and this is as much of a big thing as the lack of breakouts), i feel so much better now im not putting stuff on my face. hated looking in the mirrir applying stufff twice a day, hated the feel of it on my face and hated not being able to just goto sleep straight away with my face covered in all that crap.. or thinking about how i have my head on the pillow etc.

never looked back on stopping the topical treatments.. gonna experiment some more with diet (like green tea and stuff) and see if that helps too, but never am i going to put stuff on my face again.

I stopped everything, like washing etcetera, and my face looks a 100% better. And it doesnt look greasy or gross or whatever. My face was just so irritated that i decided to "let it be" thats what my parents did and they always had nice skin.

i dont have enough balls to do that lol..maybe in the summer one week, not during school though.

I wouldcontnue using them, I've had bad experiences, and heard of others on *EDITED BY MODERATOR* NO SPAMMING , I wouldn't recommend stopping completely.

I stopped using my Oxytetracyline for a little while, probably a few months, as I had ran out and thought I might be alright without it, but I had a big outbreak again that lasted for ages. I reckon from experience that Oxytetracyline takes AT LEAST 6 weeks to kick in, so even when I got some more on prescription they didnt work straight away and I think my body has just got used to it more now and it doesn't work as well.

I was prescribed the Duac cream to put on before I go to bed at night and that has helped clear it up pretty well.

What other simple over-the-counter or prescription treatments in England are available? I only have mild acne now, with some scarring from some previous acne.

Do it... quit. I have quit and even though my skin looks terrible, it feels better.

It doesn't look terrible because I quit, it's just terrible because I didn't quit sooner or should've never started.

My skin cleared up a lot after I went in and just threw away all of the products and started using the purpose bar and a sulfur spot treatment (plus the asprin mask because I think it helps with red marks and I need something to exfoliate). I would reccomend that you try stopping or cutting back, because most of the products out there aggravate your skin, but everyone is different so it may not work for you. Good luck!

The best way to do this man is go slowly... So start just applieing one application of bp at night and during the day just wash and moisturizer then slowly get away from it... Skin will get use it better this way since your older and your probable not acne active any more... Good luck man..

I only really had mild acne, mainly on forehead and chin. Not entirely sure why but one day I stopped using all my facial scrubs and moisturised 2-3 times a day...totally the opposite of how I used to treat my skin! Now I only get the odd spot here and there (and the occasional cysty thing on my lip which I've never found anything to work for anyway!)

I stopped all my products in the summer, except SA. My skin exploded three weeks later. Topicals and looking after my skin is a hassle, but it is definitely worth it to have clear skin.