Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LadyMacbeth998

Does pregnancy make acne worse?

My husband and I are going to try for a baby in a couple years. One of my friends got HORRIBLE acne from being pregnant, and my other friend's face cleared up completely during her pregnancy. She said her skin looked so good, she wished she could stay pregnant forever! I know it differs for each person, but I would like to know your experiences. I know that pregnant women can not use a lot of the topical meds. Thanks!

My skin was absolutely gorgeous during pregnancy and for one year afterward. Perfect as could be! I echo your friend's sentiments, in that at times I wished I could be pregnant forever, too!

Mine wasn't so great in the first trimester, but lovely after that -- and positively glowing the whole time I was nursing. Of course, it might have been the gallons of water I was consuming! Wish I could keep up that habit!

Wow, that's so interesting.

I have a girl friend who said that when she was pregnant with her son, her skin was sooo bad, it totally broke out, and then when she was pregnant with her daughter, her skin was super smooth and soft and better than ever. So I always thought it was the other way around - being pregnant with a girl means good skin, boys mean bad skin, but I guess maybe it depends on the combination between the mother's hormones and the baby's?? Or maybe it depends on the hormones that the baby has? Who knows... Her daughter does have really beautiful skin so maybe she passed on the right hormones or something...

The one who broke out horribly had a boy. My other friend was pregnant with a girl, and her skin cleared up completely--and she had bad cystic acne before!

I think that it depends on the gender of the baby you are carrying. By the time I had my 3rd babe I knew what I was having by the condition of my skin ....but not until the 2nd Trimester (like Lion Queen said, btw --was yours a boy?)

Yes, they both were! How funny!

I'm sad your theory didn't hold water, it was working for me for about 10 seconds there. :D

I think that it depends on the gender of the baby you are carrying. By the time I had my 3rd babe I knew what I was having by the condition of my skin ....but not until the 2nd Trimester (like Lion Queen said, btw --was yours a boy?) Short story: When I was pregnant with my 1st son, we didn't find out what the sex of the baby was. One night at a family party everyone was making their predictions on what the baby would be. My aunt said, "it'll be a boy because you don't have any zits." Turned out she was right. Same with my 2nd son ---skin was clear as day, but when I was pregnant with my daughter my acne got worse. The thing that got me was that the aunt that said it to me doesn't share my genes. (acne genes run through all of the women in my fam.) It suprised me because this aunt has beautiful skin. I've never seen her with a single blemish! I really think there is something to this. Especially for those who are acne prone. What was the sex of the baby your friend had, who had horrible acne while pregnant, and the sex of the one who had great skin? I'm really interested. I feel that based on my experience, and a few others -- the theory must be true, but I haven't done enough research to see if others also have the same experience or if it's all just a crap shoot.

i had a boy and my skin was horrible all the way through, it cleared up afterwards though , but i did go straight on the pill as soon as you could 4 to 6 weeks i think ! ! I didnt take any medications or anything when i was pregnant i just suffered in silence ha ha no to be honest i was so busy fixating on my growing belly and big boobs ! i didnt worry to much about my skin :liar:

this is my first post on this site. would love to speak to women whose acne got worse with pregnancy. I had my second bub six weeks ago and my skin during both pregnancies was HORRIFIC. So bad I was on constant steroids and antibiotics with acne over whole body including arms, neck, chest and back. I've only just come off the steroids and have worst break out ever - so bad I'm struggling to leave the house. Before and in between my children was just on Diane pill and that kept my skin under control. My derm started me on Roaccutane yesterday so I guess I'll hang in there. Please let me know if you've had the same experience.

I have suffered from acne since age 11, but it was easily controlled in the later years until I became pregnant with my daughter. She is 21 months, and it is still pretty bad. Nothing has been able to help at all. Now I am 7 weeks pregnant again and it is already worsening. I was hoping this time I would clear up, but so far, no such luck!

I have suffered from acne since age 11, but it was easily controlled in the later years until I became pregnant with my daughter. She is 21 months, and it is still pretty bad. Nothing has been able to help at all. Now I am 7 weeks pregnant again and it is already worsening. I was hoping this time I would clear up, but so far, no such luck!

I had the worst acne of my life during my recent pregancy and am still recovring, (my baby boy just turned one.) Cystic, nodules, scars, hyperpigmentation, no glow!

My first pregnancy at age 18, my skin glowed, even though I had just gotten over my first horrible acne episode between age 16-17. Baby boy then too.

So I can't find a correlation.

This is why I want to take Accutane a year before planning a pregnancy. I'm terrified of it getting worse prego.

When my mom was pregnant with my older brother, she had the worst cysts.

My cousin who was born with perfect flawless skin, now gets a bunch of little pimples on her face & she had a girl.

I have a 7 year old boy and I just recently started to get my skin under control. My face was horrible when I was pregnant and it stayed horrible for a long time afterwards.

An aunt of mine had six boys..all the time her skin was AMAZING and she looked better than ever. When she had her daughter she broke out terribly (had gret skin to begin with) and complained all the time her daughter was stealing her beauty. She's swears by the boys=good skin girls=bad theory. My mom does too !!

My husband and I are going to try for a baby in a couple years. One of my friends got HORRIBLE acne from being pregnant, and my other friend's face cleared up completely during her pregnancy. She said her skin looked so good, she wished she could stay pregnant forever! I know it differs for each person, but I would like to know your experiences. I know that pregnant women can not use a lot of the topical meds. Thanks!

I was no better or no worse when I was pregnant. At the time, I was on Murad's Acne system, which kept things under control. One good thing about Dan's regimen is that it is safe to use while pregnant and it really works when you follow it exactly.

I'm 38 weeks pregnant and my skin has been moody the whole time. I haven't gotten any cystic acne, but I've noticed that I'm getting alot more whiteheads. My t-zone is especially prone to little whiteheads and i've always had clogged pores that you can see under the skin but they don't become inflamed unless I pick at them...if I tighten my skin they look like white/skin colored bumps...not sure what these are called?? My pores also seem to be expanding and I don't know if this is due to the swelling of my face and body. I've always had larger pores, but they seem gigantic now!

Anyways, I think my skin has been a little worse than normal but not extremely bad....

I'm 38 weeks pregnant and my skin has been moody the whole time. I haven't gotten any cystic acne, but I've noticed that I'm getting alot more whiteheads. My t-zone is especially prone to little whiteheads and i've always had clogged pores that you can see under the skin but they don't become inflamed unless I pick at them...if I tighten my skin they look like white/skin colored bumps...not sure what these are called?? My pores also seem to be expanding and I don't know if this is due to the swelling of my face and body. I've always had larger pores, but they seem gigantic now!

Anyways, I think my skin has been a little worse than normal but not extremely bad....

I just found out that I am pregnant (about 5-6 weeks). My skin was semi-clear during the time I was supposed to start my period...but I could see the oil accumulating. Now I have clogged pores and pustules all over my face. I have always had really bad skin that may clear up for 1 week a month before disintegrating into a mass of zits, so I'm not sure if it's the pregnancy hormones or not. My chest is also breaking out very badly. It's really depressing.

My skin was beautiful while pregnant and I had a boy. Whether there is any correlation between gender and acne, I seriously doubt it. If anything I would think a boy would make skin worse because of the added testosterone in the body. Who knows? I will say this, take pride in whatever your body does while you are pregnant. Your body will be doing some pretty amazing things. I gained 75 pounds during my pregnancy and I felt so miserable about it, to the point of depression but on the day that Dr. held up my 11 pound bundle of joy, I realized how amazing the whole process was. Any changes in my body were well worth it.

Ang

PS-- yeah I hoping at that time he would weigh 50 lbs to justify my weight gain!! lol but hey here I am 17 yrs later and I am still at my original pre pregnancy weight of 135.

I'm pregnant for a fourth time. My first two babies were both girls and I couldn't ask for clearer skin. Although the other pregnancy symptoms were drastically different, the acne was no problem at all. I do occasionally break out aside from being preggers. Usually just a quick apricot scrub cleans me up nicely.

As for my third pregnancy, we don't like to talk about it much because we lost it right at 12 weeks. All through that term, I had no issue. It's this fourth pregnancy that has me scrambling for something, ANYTHING to clear my skin. I'm almost 13 weeks now, and my acne has just exploded! My face is sensitive and dry and oily all together. Mostly from my nose down, my breakouts seem to be following each other around to every sensitive spot! I've tried the apricot scrub, Clean & Clear morning scrub, Oxy spot treatment, make-up with salicylic acid, and even spot treatments of rubbing alcohol. Nothing has helped!

If that's not enough, my back has been a display of huge, painful, swollen pimples that love to form on my bra line and up my shoulder straps. It doesn't help that my maternity bras are already filled to the max, but the pimples tend to feel like added knots in my back when that's not the case.

I saw reviews on witch hazel, so I will try that. Thankfully, my sensitive nose has subsided. But, if you have any other pregnancy-safe remedies, PLEASE let me know.

It did for me- a LOT LOT worse...I got pregnant with my first baby (still am- just about!) 8 months ago. I used to have clear skin till 4 years ago, developed maintainence-level acne 4 years ago ( god knows why but it was all under control) :cool:

But as soon as I got pregnant and for the first 6 months my face broke out like never before...I had new spots every day.. always more than 8-10 spots or scabe on my face... it got me so depressed that I went to the derm who gave me the only safe pregnancy antibiotics (erythomycin and dual gel) after 5 months... its either the meds or the hormones, but my acne cleared up since month 6 and now all I have got to show for the horrible 6 months is hyperpigmentation which I am patiently waiting to go away. :ninja:

Having suffered through the worst possible time during my forst 6 months of pregnancy due to acne, I can only try to spread the message that acne could get very very bad during pregnancy if you are prone to them... if that is not something you want to put up with, do consider a lasting treatmement like accutane, hormone therapy, strong antibiotics, laser etc before trying for a baby...

Hope you dont have to go through the horror of having daily breakouts during your pregnancy and are oe of the lucky ones whoglow!

good luck with it all

:angel:

I think it all has to do with hormones and how you react to them. Some people's skin gets worse in the first trimester and then gets better, for others it gets better and then worse (progesterone is promenent in the first trimester and estrogen in the 2nd and 3rd) and as you can see by the replies it can be different with each pregnancy and bad or good through the whole 9 months. I think though, if your skin tends to get worse after your period when estrogen is the promenent hormone, your skin will be bad in the 2nd and 3rd trimester and good in the first. If your skin tends to breakout before your period, when progesterone is promenent, then you'll break out in the first trimester and clear up in the second. But that's just my idea, we'll see what happens when I finally get pregnant (it's not as easy as I thought it'd be!)

Yes.

My friend skin broke out bad during her pregnancy. It's an issue with hormonal. Not sure when can help for that, maybe drinking lots of water.